When to take Italy/Croatia cruise

Old Jul 24th, 2022, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When to take Italy/Croatia cruise

We have booked a June 2023 cruise on Windstar sailing yacht, @ 300 passengers. Leaves Venice June 9, travels down Croatian coast and lands in Rome on June 17. Alternative dates for same itinerary are May 8-16. After obsessively researching weather for these two time frames, decided on June as less chance of rain or too cool weather. However, advantage of May is that there should be way fewer tourists to deal with in the ports. June 2022 was very hot in the Mediterranean, and of course, it's hard to know whether this is an anomaly or not. Early to mid-June weather past few years hasn't been horribly hot. Anyone who has had experience with this Italy/Croatia, what do you think? Should we change to the May sailing? Will the crowds be that much smaller?
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 08:04 PM

Weather related rather than cruise related: I was in Croatia (Rijeka, Opatia, Pula, Rovinj) all of April 2022. Weather was beautiful. Beautiful for me is not sweating weather. Seaside beaches had very few people in the water. Short sleeves, no jackets. Croatians high season/beach season is July and August, strictly July and August, otherwise they consider the water too cold to go in.Other europeans would probably disagree.
I travel March/April, November as I dislike crowds and can count on onehand with 60 years of travel the number of times it has rained on me. I found in my Croatian trip (with 2 weeks after that in Venice and Rome) that it did't rain but that it rained at night. Hope this helps.
Old Aug 11th, 2022, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank for the info...we have decided to move to the May sailing and hearing this about the weather helps us feel that we've made the right decision.
Old Aug 12th, 2022, 01:14 PM
lyn

I agree with May. We were just in various European countries June-July and it was extremely hot. Afternoons in the sun weren’t comfortable.