Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Mexico city for 1st timer?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2022, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a wedding in Mexico City in November. The wedding weekend we're staying in the designated hotel in the Polanco area. After the weekend's festivities we planned on switching hotels to another neighborhood. Condesa and Roma Norte areas were recommended by the bride and groom. When I research where to stay, historic center frequently comes up for it's charm and convenience to sights. We generally are fine with lots of walking, but like to have some things nearby as well. We like to be in area that's safe but also near some sights, with charm, that's good for an evening stroll, and some good non-touristy food options. We usually prefer smaller hotels or B&B type places. Would also consider apartment if more of our family members will be joining us. After the wedding weekend we'll have 5 days to be tourists, so would like to explore the city and maybe do a day trip. Are Condesa and Roma Norte best neighborhoods to focus on or should we also consider the historic center, or is there another we should look into as well?

From what I understand, public transportation is not recommended (we actually are city people and generally comfortable with public transportation, but I'm reading not recommended in Mexico City). Is Uber/Lyft/taxis safe? Do we need to plan arrangement for airport transfers?

Last edited by MFNYC; Jul 24th, 2022 at 06:21 AM.
Old Jul 24th, 2022, 08:32 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
From what you've described, youd probably enjoy Roma/Condesa over centro. We usually stay in Roma but visit centro during the day when it's more lively. There aren't as many hotel options in Roma, however. We usually stay at the Stanza. Red Tree House (b&b) in condesa gets good reviews but gets booked quickly. For apartments in Roma/Condesa youd probably have to go tge air bnb route. We rarely take the metro, not because it's unsafe necessarily, but we just prefer Uber. Or taxi. Teotihuacan is a good day trip if you like ruins. Lunch at La Gruta.
Old Jul 24th, 2022, 02:33 PM

On the recommendation of both baldone and crellston I also stayed at the Stanza. Hotel itself has no "charm" but friendly, comfortable and convenient (and has an elevator and 24-hour desk). IIRC there is also A/C so even if not needed it helps if you want to close the windows to sleep. Walkable to centro and even Chapultepec Park if you are up to it. The walk to the center passes through Parque Tolsa and the San Juan Market. I also used Metrobus 3 between Pushkin Park to Hidalgo Station (at the west edge of the Plaza). It did take me a while to buy a Metro Card, can't recall why.

Uber works well (and even back to the airport). Especially recommend saving your feet if you intend to spend all day at the Archaeology Museum. I think Uber works less well into the center, just too much traffic. The few Mexican nationals I met along the way told me they always used Uber, not taxis when visiting Mexico City.

Lots of places to eat around Stanza, including street food vendors. I didn't hesitate to try all kinds of goodies and had no issues. I did try Stanza's own restaurant for breakfast and it was acceptable but there are so many other options.

In researching my trip I did find Air Bnb places although in the same price bracket they might have stairs or access from an alley, for example. Since it was my first visit I was more comfortable staying in a hotel. Stanza is really a great value.

Last edited by mlgb; Jul 24th, 2022 at 02:39 PM.
Old Jul 24th, 2022, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Is the water purified in most restaurants, or do you still have to be careful. The only part of Mexico we've been to previously is the Mayan Riviera, and all the hotels, restaurants and rentals, have purified water, and provide bottle water for drinking. We never had any issues. Is it now that way in Mexico City?

I was looking at Hotel Villa Condesa and Casa Mali by Dominion Boutigue Hotel. Anybody familiar with these?
Old Jul 24th, 2022, 06:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
You won't have any problems with water at restaurants in either Condesa or Roma. Or any other sit down restaurant where tourists go in the city. Typically, you'll be asked if you want a bottle if you ask for water. Mineral o natural, sometimes you'll need to choose. Otherwise, it'll come in a glass taken from a garafon of purified water. Some people prefer a bottle just for the piece of mind. If in doubt, just ask. All hotels will have a couple of bottles in the room, even the budgety types. The exception being hostals or super-cheap which may just offer a garrafon in a public area where you fill your own container/bottle. Or cups they provide.
I personally don't know either of those hotels other than by a walk-by.
Mlgb makes a good point about lodging and surroundings with 'charm'. Both Roma & Condesa have their own charming ambiance, leaning more towards Art-Deco rather than the colonial feel of centro. Both Condesa & Roma offer tree-lined streets, parks, & sidewalk cafes. Personally, we enjoy the contrast between the colonial/Porfiriato architecture of centro juxtaposed against the more Art-Deco style of Condesa. Best of both worlds.
​​​​
Old Jul 24th, 2022, 07:20 PM

I was just glad to have the recommendation for Stanza, there are so many choices and it depends on your budget and priorities. I liked walking around the area between Obregon and Chapultepec and even wandering toward the Center was interesting and felt quite safe I don't think you could go wrong in either of those neighborhoods.

Last edited by mlgb; Jul 24th, 2022 at 07:38 PM.
Old Jul 28th, 2022, 12:13 PM

We were just in Mexico City in March. We stayed in Condesa in a small hotel near the Red Tree described above, but not the Red Tree. Our hotel had some building issues and some service issues that I would hesitate to recommend it. But we loved the area and would highly recommend staying there. We used Uber everywhere although did take the subway one day just to say we did. We live in a big city and have taken the subway on many continents (even Africa). But Uber is so easy, and so cheap (you could go a few miles and only pay equivalent US $3. It could not have been easier. And we never had any real issue getting one. I think I posted a trip report or at least some details of it answering another poster if you would like any restaurant or activity suggestions.
Old Sep 18th, 2022, 07:42 PM

If you haven’t booked yet, I GIANT recommendation for the Red Tree House, I loved it and it will be the first place I check into on any future trips to Mexico City.
Old Sep 21st, 2022, 10:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Others here have more experience in Mexico City but the one time we visited (probably around 6 years ago), we stayed at Galeria Plaza Reforma and we thought it was a good location and nice hotel. Although it may be too big to suit your tastes. I just googled The Red Tree House and it does look pretty cool.
Old Jan 4th, 2023, 06:33 PM

MFNYC
Where did you end up staying? I’m looking at Villa Condesa as it does look charming.

I’m also considering Stanza as it seems a bargain and so convenient.

Last edited by progol; Jan 4th, 2023 at 06:37 PM.
Old Jan 4th, 2023, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

We stayed at Casa Mali and were very pleased. We also loved the area. Another wedding guest stayed at Red Tree House and were happy with that.
Old Jan 5th, 2023, 03:01 AM

Thanks, MFNYC. Unfortunatly, Red Tree is very popular and there’s no availability for my dates. But I’ll look at Casa Mali.
Old Jan 16th, 2023, 12:26 PM

We are also first timers

Red Tree is completely booked for our April dates. We are considering Casa Comtesa in Condesa - has anyone tried it?
Old Jan 16th, 2023, 02:47 PM

Casa Comtesse in Condessa for 8 days?

Red Tree is completely booked for our April dates. We are considering Casa Comtesse in Condesa - has anyone tried it? Here is the website: https://casacomtesse.com/ (Address: Av. Benjamín Franklin 197 Hipódromo 06100 (CDMX) )
Old Jan 16th, 2023, 04:21 PM

I may have looked into that hotel but the rooms are variable, I think some do not even have a window. It depends on what room you can book for your date.

Old Jan 17th, 2023, 09:49 AM

Thanks so much!
Old Jan 18th, 2023, 03:50 PM

Mexico City B & B - Condesa and Coyoacan?

My husband and I (both retirees who love a pleasant walk) are thinking of splitting our time between Condesa and Coyocan - is this is a good idea?
For the first part of the trip, we booked Casa Comtese in Condesa -- thanks to this forum here, I double-checked to make sure our room has a window!
And three nights at Maria Del Alma House (with balcony)
Old Jan 18th, 2023, 05:29 PM

I had also thought that on a return visit I would like to stay in Coyoacan, love the tostada place inside the market (went twice). I think there may be a trip report which included a stay in Coyoacan.