Safest / Best travel for solo woman

Old Jul 22nd, 2022, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safest / Best travel for solo woman

Hi all,
Looking for tips or suggestions on safe travels for going on a trip alone as a woman.
Wanting to do Italy or Greece, but open to any suggestions.
Thanks in advance
Old Jul 23rd, 2022, 05:07 AM

With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece

The above link is a trip report by a Fodorite who traveled solo for a month in Greece. It is inspiring and a great resource.
I have been to Athens and a few islands and felt perfectly safe in all of them. At night, I would probably plan for taxis in some cases, but depends on location.

I would personally feel very, very safe most anyplace in Italy. Also, public transportation is so easy. Just decide where you want to go and people on here can help you plan it.
Old Jul 23rd, 2022, 07:26 AM

Welcome, alkisonrebecca. In my 70s, after my husband died in 2010, I have traveled to Austin, Boston, New York, Asheille NC, Madrid, London, Paris, and Bordeaux. If you take the normal precautions, you should be fine. I sometimes wear my wedding band but usually not. Remember, no one else knows you are alone. I agree with Sassafrass about taking taxis, but I did that because my knees aren't happy with stairs in metros. I also took the bus...great for seeing things as one travels. If you click my name, scroll to Trip Reports and look at those done after June 2010. November 2010 was my first one IIRC. Please report back about your experiences.

My first TR from Austin for ideas: Austin Getaway

Last edited by TDudette; Jul 23rd, 2022 at 07:32 AM.
Old Jul 23rd, 2022, 08:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are a lot of reports on solo travel (much of it by women) here: Goin' solo...nothing like it! (A trip report collection)

I am a female (somewhat aged these days) and I have done extensive solo travel. Europe is particularly safe, as are Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, New Zealand etc. etc. Aside from actual war zones, or countries recovering from recent wars like Iraq and Afghanistan, the only country I would advise against visiting solo is India. China is currently on my "don't revisit" list, but that is because of government surveillance, not because it is unsafe.

Obviously, you need to take reasonable precautions (no dark alleys late at night, no drinks from strangers) and I always wear a money belt under my clothes, with only one day's money and perhaps one credit card (I carry three) easily accessible.
Old Jul 23rd, 2022, 08:12 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Probably 75% or 80% of my trips are solo. A few of the places I've traveled alone in the last 15-ish years (some once - some several times) :

In North/South America: Victoria BC, Baja, Peru, NYC, DC, North Carolina, Virginia/Williamsburg, Chicago, Seattle, LA, San Diego, Phoenix, Disneyland, Alaska, SLC, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Hawaii. Europe and Asia: London, Japan, Hong Kong, Scotland, Paris, Venice (Italy - not California ) , Belgium, Amsterdam, Northern England, Bavaria, plus a European river cruise.

I've felt safe and secure in each and would not hesitate to re-visit any of them. The main thing is to just take the first step -- pick a place and GO. After that you will have learned some of the ropes and each subsequent trip gets easier - or at least less scary . . .

Next on my wish list are Greece and South Africa
Old Jul 29th, 2022, 06:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Welcome! I most often travel solo and have never had a bad/dangerous experience. Have you been to Italy or Greece before? Have you traveled alone before?
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by suze
Welcome! I most often travel solo and have never had a bad/dangerous experience. Have you been to Italy or Greece before? Have you traveled alone before?
I have not been to Italy or Greece - but really dying to go and tired of waiting on friends who keep backing out on me
Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 09:54 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I probably felt safer traveling in Greece than in any other country.
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 05:30 AM

I think travelling to most places in Europe is safe and rewarding for solo travellers. The exception may be things like hiking in remote areas but that's the same in any country and commonsense. To make the travel more enjoyable, I suggest travelling to fewer places. By staying longer in each town, you get familiar with it, know how things work and gain confidence. Some towns lend themselves very well as a base for visiting other towns. Personally, I find Italy easier to travel in than Greece because I struggle a bit with the Greek alphabet and because transport is easier in Italy but on the other hand, I suspect English is more widely spoken in Greece than Italy (but that obviously depends on who you meet). In either case, learning some basic vocab will pay dividends. I also find getting a grip on the logistics of travelling from A to B before I leave home very helpful. If you're keen to go, just go, you're unlikely to regret it. Maybe pick a small number of places with 5 nights in each. And take only as much luggage as you can easily lift and carry (nobody will care if you wear the same clothes multiple times).
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 09:49 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would go where you want to go most (within reason -lol). Just do your research so you pick a decent place to stay. I find cities easier and I am just more comfortable. Also I don't like to rent a car so choose places I don't need one. Go to the Destination Forums, both here on Fodor's, also on Trip Advisor, and Rick Steves to learn more about the places you are interested in.

I went to Venice twice, with basically no planning (I was already in Switzerland) and had a fantastic visit. First time solo, second time a friend came along. Really easy place for a visitor.