Anyone been to The Lofotens in February

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2022, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for some logistical advice. I know with the current fluctuations in climate and local weather - conditions are impossible to predict but we are looking to hire a car and base ourselves in the centre of the chain then have days out based on the weather. Looking near Leknes - wondering about the best way in/out from the U.K. very used to Scottish winter driving over 35 years.

thanks
Old Jul 20th, 2022, 09:34 AM

Only on the Hurtigruten. It was magical but it was very cold and the roads were sheet ice. Luckily most cars have studs, we needed them for walking as well.
No way of knowing how it will be next winter sadly.
Days are very short, but dawn and dusk can be amazing plus the aurora of course.
Old Jul 20th, 2022, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

I know Hets - one of the most amazing sights I’ve seen - coming down from Tromso on the Hurtigruten seeing The Lofotens - we spent a short time in Svolvaer then back on the boat - colours were indescribable.

Driving is OK I can cope with that , as is route planning and emergency planning.

Just wondering how to do this - from Manchester to Evenes but that’s a long East way down the chain , could take the Hurtigruten from Trondheim as there is a direct flight from Manchester but that is really slow as a return journey. Could fly to Bodo as there seems to be a ferry but don’t know anything about it.

wondering whether anything else is possible.

After all this horrible hot weather , we need so cold to look forward to
Old Jul 20th, 2022, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

I really don’t know what to do as the weather is so unpredictable - we had the worst trip ever prior to Covid.

Iceland in February - it rained and rained, severe wind and expensive food. Just awful.
Old Jul 20th, 2022, 11:13 AM

Can you fly to Oslo or Bodø and then fly with Widerøe to Leknes?
I know a couple of charter companies now fly to Lofoten, but I can't remember off hand which ones, or where in Lofoten they fly to.

I guess you just have to decide to accept the weather could be awful if you go in February.
Old Jul 20th, 2022, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

That’s brilliant.

Thank you. I didn’t even know that there was an airport in Leknes - which is right the centre of everything.

I had forgotten all about Wideroe and yes that works really well. Manchester to Bodo via Oslo then a small plane to Leknes (may do an overnight in Oslo).

there are really good car hire options in Leknes - Volvo estates - great !

I think we will find a rental on the North coast close to Leknes which will be good for the Aurora watch and also good for provisions if it snows hard.

Weather - I just give up. We bought a place near Bordeaux to avoid the heat of Provence. It’s been 35oC all summer and hit 42oC last week. We drive down on Friday for 2 weeks and currently the area is swamped by smoke from the forest fires. May sell it for a place in Leknes
Old Jul 21st, 2022, 06:20 AM

I think you can get from Oslo to Leknes direct but I am not certain.
No way I could persuade DH to make the trip, much as it appeals to me, so I am slightly envious.

I hope the heat has subsided somewhat for you. It all looks terrible down there as well as all the fires in the UK.
We managed 36C on Tuesday, but normal service has been resumed - wet, windy and only 16C.
Old Jul 22nd, 2022, 02:02 AM
Original Poster

The forest in Landes south of Arcachon is on fire which is 400km of farmed pine. If you look from space on google maps the forest is so clearly defined. It’s been 35oC for 5 weeks with a couple of local thunderstorms, the smoke was dense East of Sarlat which is 200 km away. The smell was beginning to reach the edge of Paris which is 500km away.

Lofotens - I think Bodo is the only route to Leknes for Wideroe still not sure whether to go Manchester to Trondheim then Evenes or via Bodo to Leknes. it’s all about the weather ….Evenes to Leknes is 200km and our days of sleeping in cars have expired. The roads are mainly coastal and I’ll never forget the farmers coming down from the hills around Tromso in T shirts and shorts - it was -5oC on the coast but -35oC in their inland villages. The coastal weather is milder but we’ve had one too many epic journeys in the Scottish snow.

i think flying into Leknes makes sense.

The newly built rentals in the area look stunning , may just book one on the north coast and sit looking at the view with a bottle of Talisker. The 2 years we have had …..as long as we don’t meet other people it will be bliss

Last edited by BritishCaicos; Jul 22nd, 2022 at 02:05 AM.
Old Jul 22nd, 2022, 02:07 AM
Original Poster

And prey for this

Old Jul 22nd, 2022, 02:28 AM

Now you really are making me envious! The sun is very active again now so clears skies permitting you should be in for some stunning displays. The three times we had great displays on Hurtigruten were all in Lofoten.
First time I went we were all shivering in the snow and cold (some never ventured on deck declaring it too cold duh!) but the deck hands were all in T-shirts!