Would love input on my 10 day Switzerland Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2022, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 18 days in total of traveling, so I do have room to add or subtract days as necessary. I don't want to spend the whole 18 days in Switzerland, but enough to get a good glimpse of the country. The rest of the days I will choose a different country to explore.I was using this as a frame of reference: http s://w ww.earthtrekkers. com/switzerland-itinerary-7-to-21-days-in-switzerland/#7Day (won't let me add links so I just added spaces)

Here's the plan so far:

Day 1: Arrive in Zürich

Day 2: Morning museum, go to Bernese Oberland

Day 3 - 5: Bernese Oberland

Day 6: Travel to Zermatt

Day 7: Zermatt

Day 8: Travel to Lucerne

Day 9: Lucerne

Day 10: Leave

I was also thinking of adding in a visit to Neuschwanstein castle in Füssen (so fly into Munich instead of Zurich) at the start of the itinerary.

Most importantly, are there any scenic train rides I must not miss? And how is this rough itinerary?

Old Jul 16th, 2022, 11:14 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Four destinations in 9 nights? Yikes.

You're spending all of your time getting to places instead of seeing the places you're going to.

I'd do something like this

Arrive Zurich - head directly to BO - spend 5 nights
Head to Lucerne - spend four nights (or three if you need a night in Zurich for an early departure)
Head to Zurich for departure

Or

Arrive Zurich - head directly to Zermatt - three nights (which is only two full days)
Zermatt to BO - four nights
BO to Lucerne - two nights
Lucerne to Zurich for departure

Just about every train in Switzerland is scenic. I wouldn't plan my trip around a scenic train.
Old Jul 16th, 2022, 06:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
On your other thread you said you're only staying in Switzerland 3 days. Now you are staying 10 days? Which one is the more current idea??
Old Jul 16th, 2022, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by suze
On your other thread you said you're only staying in Switzerland 3 days. Now you are staying 10 days? Which one is the more current idea??
Sorry, that thread was from yesterday and Fodor's doesn't let you delete it. The 3 day one is more current.
Old Jul 17th, 2022, 06:02 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
So it's three days?
Old Jul 17th, 2022, 08:03 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
That's what seems to be the new plan. 3 days in Switzerland. Leaving in 2 days. No plane ticket yet. (best as I can follow the various thread and different names).
Old Jul 31st, 2022, 09:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IF, and it is a HUGE "if" you are going all the way to Zermatt just to see the Matterhorn I would recommend the Berner Oberland before even thinking of Zermatt. Yes the peak is great and there are various ways you can get to viewing points including the Gornergratt train as well as the various cableways. And I have done them all but the village itself is IMO forgettable and you can walk the entire length of it and see every expensive watch and all those snack places on the way as well as the climber cemetery. The Berner and Luzern offer much more to see and do and with the short time you have I would definitely concentrate on those places but to each their own.