Search

Rental Car Road trip across 3 Scandinavian Countries

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2022, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rental Car Road trip across 3 Scandinavian Countries

Hello Everyone!

I have booked a 3 week roundtrip to and from Copenhagen.
My plan is to rent a car in Copenhagen and do a trip trip to Sweden, Norway and back to Copenhagen.

From what i read and understand,
A Valid US Drivers license is good enough to rent a car - which i have.

The question is,
Can i take the rental car across borders from Denmark to Sweden to Norway to Denmark?
And how does border control work - how do i get passport stamped when i enter "Sweden from Denmark" and "Norway from Sweden"

I appreciate the vast knowledge base that this is and the advise therein!

p.s. i have booked a rental car on ALAMO using expedia - but i am unable to find details on crossing borders.. Please help!

Old Jul 11th, 2022, 12:25 PM

Call AutoEurope.com and ask them about renting a car to travel as you plan. They probably will be able to help you, and you might even switch your rental agency if their price is right.
Old Jul 11th, 2022, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Yes, You Can!

i answered my own questions...

looks like i can, here is the alamo rental policy details:
"
A cross border rental is considered a vehicle picked up in Denmark, taken across an International border and returned to a location in Denmark. Cross border travel is permitted into Sweden and Norway at any time. Cross border travel is allowed in Austria, Belgium, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Portugal, San Marino, Spain, Switzerland, United Kingdom and Vatican City with prior notification and approval by the branch. Cross border travel outside of the countries listed above is not allowed at any time. Additional information will be provided at the time of pickup regarding the rules and regulations of cross border travel. A penalty fee of 20,000 DKK plus the cost of transporting the vehicle back to Denmark will apply for an unauthorized drop-off of the rental vehicle. The purchase of Roadside Assistance Protection is mandatory when traveling outside of Denmark.
It is permitted to take the vehicle on board ferries, provided that the above cross border policy complies.
"
Old Jul 11th, 2022, 12:35 PM

There are no border controls. All three countries are members of Schengen.
You need to look into paying tolls in Norway, and make sure you don't speed at all. An expensive hobby in Scandinavia.
Old Jul 11th, 2022, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

thank you so much Michael for the insight. will check!!
Old Jul 11th, 2022, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hetismij2
You need to look into paying tolls in Norway, and make sure you don't speed at all. An expensive hobby in Scandinavia.
thank you for the headsup and wonderful tip!!
Old Jul 11th, 2022, 12:42 PM

Yes you can take your rental car across Scandinavia. I’ve done it countless times. You need to tell the rental company though as they will charge you a daily fee for taking the car to Sweden, it’s an extra insurance. Also you might find that your rental car has an electronic payment tag for payment for the Øresund bridge which is cheaper than paying regular price. This allows you to drive through the barriers without stopping to pay, you’ll be charged via the rental company. The rental company might also ask you if you’re going to drive in Gothenburg or Stockholm as there is a congestion charge which again, you can pay the rental company.

Haven’t driven to Norway so can’t advise on that.

There is border control at the Øresund Bridge but very often it’s not manned. But when it is, they might stop you to check your passport, there’s no stamp in your passport as it’s all within Schengen.

If you take your car on the ferry from Helsingoer to Helsingborg, it’s very rare that you are stopped at border control or customs.

Last edited by balthy; Jul 11th, 2022 at 12:45 PM.
Old Jul 11th, 2022, 12:57 PM

It is incorrect to say that there is no border control between these countries. There is between Denmark & Sweden & vv. When you take the train from CPH airport to Malmö, there is always an announcement that there will be passport control at Hyllie station, very often it does not take place but there is the potential to be checked by border control.

Old Jul 11th, 2022, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Michael
Call AutoEurope.com and ask them about renting a car to travel as you plan. They probably will be able to help you, and you might even switch your rental agency if their price is right.
This has not been my experience with Autoeurope & the majority of my rentals to Scandinavia are booked thru AE. Because the additional payments for driving to Sweden are local payments to the rental company, Autoeurope has no visibility to what those charges will be. AE can only advise the rental company that the car will be driven from Denmark to Sweden & Norway if they are told about it when making the reservation. This applies to Expedia too, they can only pass details to the rental company of the cross border requirement.

Last edited by balthy; Jul 11th, 2022 at 01:18 PM.
Old Jul 11th, 2022, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by balthy
It is incorrect to say that there is no border control between these countries. There is between Denmark & Sweden & vv. When you take the train from CPH airport to Malmö, there is always an announcement that there will be passport control at Hyllie station, very often it does not take place but there is the potential to be checked by border control.
There is always the chance of a border control between Schengen countries but the passport is not stamped. More likely on trains.
Old Jul 11th, 2022, 01:32 PM

There is always the chance of a border control between Schengen countries but the passport is not stamped. More likely on trains.
Nobody said the passport would be stamped. The chances of being checked on the train is the same as driving across the bridge. Border controls can take place and do occasionally. It’s not like driving thru France, Belgium etc where nobody checks anything. Same with ferry crossing from Germany to Denmark. Border control has always been present, at least all the times I’ve travelled that route. But you are free to believe what you like.