Rome Hotels - Great 3 or 4 star

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2022, 10:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To celebrate the end of a 5 week itinerary in late September and as we attempt return to the real world, what better than 5 nights in Rome
Rome has always been a challenge, but those we have previously visited are either booked or no longer appealing
We would greatly appreciate current opinion on conveniently located standout hotels in Rome ?
Any advice gratefully appreciated. Thank you
Old Jul 10th, 2022, 12:32 AM

I stayed at the Albergo del Senato. the location was terrific and walking distance to everything.

I posted a link to trip advisor but my post disappeared.
Old Jul 10th, 2022, 03:52 AM
J62

By 3* or 4*, what specifically are you asking for or expecting?
The star rating system in Italy is based on amenities or features of a hotel...not objective or subjective quality rating like you may be used to in the US.

for example, does the hotel have a:
24hr front desk, or not.
eleveator, or not
bar/restaurant, or not,
spa or not...
etc.

So hypothetically, a Ritz Carlton that didn't have an elevator could by definition, only get a 1 (or maybe it's 2) stars..
So if you could be more specific what YOU mean by 3* or 4* we can give you better advice..
Old Jul 10th, 2022, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. Yes, fully understand rating system. Looking beyond the review ratings that typically appear in Tripadvisor/Booking sites . Seeking ideas based on current/local knowledge. Wide price range 200-450 E/night typically falling into 3 -4 star range. . Will always pay extra for something special otherwise will retreat to a comfortable place in a convenient location with large bed and breakfast.
Old Jul 10th, 2022, 07:46 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We enjoyed our stay at Palazzo Navona, near Piazza Navona and the Pantheon. A modern, hip hotel built within the exterior of a vintage palazzo. Rooftop bar.
Old Jul 10th, 2022, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Happytrvlr. Palazzo Navona looks great - large rooms for the location, ambience, roof terrace, food, attention to detail etc etc. but don"t think we need a kettle I will email the hotel as there is one night of five that seems to prevent a four day plus booking rate. "Hopefully not too noisy. We've never stayed right in the middle of the action before. Last visit to Roma was way back at 2015 to Relais Torre Argentina in what I think is a great location for venturing out. Maybe that hotel was a little too modern for us though. Previously stayed several time at La Rezidenza at the other end of town up near Via Veneto. Since 2017 it is clear that has been further evolution of the misery created by multiple booking sites and hotels offering multiple image driven booking options. I'm trying to get back to the now unlikely days when I experienced simplicity when travel planning and great pensiones in places like Pensione Tofanelli on Via Sistina
Old Jul 10th, 2022, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Though about 10+ years we stayed at Albergo del Senato (mentioned above) and enjoyed it, I prefer to stay a bit out of the center these days. You mention "convenient location," so it's possible that what I look for--wanting to be away from the action--is diametrically opposed to what you're looking for. That said...

Most recently I've twice stayed at the Donna Camilla Savelli, which I like for its lovely courtyard with orange trees--nice to have breakfast there or a drink in the evening. It's big, so does get some groups but the grounds more than make up for that, at least for me. I've only booked executive rooms there, so I'm not sure what the standard rooms are like. Also, I haven't been since before the pandemic--service and breakfast may be different now.

I've also stayed a couple times at the little jewel-box, boutique Hotel Nerva. This is a lovely hotel in a hidden location right behind the Forum of Augustus. Rooms are small though. Great people!
Old Jul 10th, 2022, 02:43 PM

We have just returned home from a month in Italy, last stop Rome. This time we stayed at NH Collection Fori Imperiali Roma and it was a fantastic stay. Different location for us but really convenient-our room looked onto the Forum and Trajan’s column plus the Vittorio Emanuele monument-it felt like you could reach out and touch them. It was an easy walk straight down the Corso to the Spanish steps etc, plus the Capitoline museums were very nearby and it was an easy walk down the hill to Trastevere and back for dinner which we did a couple of times. Lots of good restaurant choices around.
Staff at the hotel were fantastic and helpful, the included breakfast while not my favourite of the trip, was good and lots of it. Hotel was super clean, nice decor, it was lovely.

There is an incredible roof top deck where you can have cocktails at sunset and the view is special. Unfortunately the bar and rooftop restaurant are run by a separate company-the hotel leases them the space but the business belongs to someone else. We had the misfortune of going on the night the manager was not there and the service was so unbelievably bad we felt like we were in a Monty Python skit. Seriously. Never experienced anything like it. And it gets mixed reviews on TA-some nights the service must be great-lol. So it’s a take your chances kinda thing.
But I can find no fault with the hotel itself.
‘I have seen reviews where people complain about the African peddlers outside the hotel-yes, they are there and they use the side street the hotel fronts on as a kind of place to lie around and take a break. But they are all over Rome, just don’t make eye contact and don’t engage, they’ll move on. They’re not going to mug you.
Old Jul 10th, 2022, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good to hear about a new hotel, rcg, I will put it on my list. I stayed at the NH Collection Piazza Carlina in Torino a few years ago and was quite impressed. Glad you had a good trip!
Old Jul 10th, 2022, 03:05 PM

Thank you Leely! I finally got to see Camogli and stay at the Cenobio….loved it, new favourite town/area/hotel. Will definitely be going back there in the not too distant future.
Old Jul 10th, 2022, 10:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Leely2. Well our travel world must be rapidly recovering because all three hotels are fully booked for the 5 day period from near the end of September into October. They all looked great and Albergo del Senato appeared as exceptional value. Their sister hotel was also booked for the term. On on