African safaris , Zimbabwe , Botswana

Old Jul 5th, 2022, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
African safaris , Zimbabwe , Botswana

I have had some time to research safari companies and I am overwhelmed with so many companies. I see luxury camps where decadent food and champagne is more of an emphasis than the wildlife.
Wonder if anyone has knowledge of great safari companies in Hwange Park and Okavango area where we have comfort but not necessarily luxury. One outfitter had us on 5 moves via small plane in 12 days.
I think that we would be spending most of our time at customs and doing the flight, time consuming. I would rather hit 2-3 camps and spend longer times there, at least 3-4 nights. I find this forum input valuable
and I appreciate any
suggestions. Also, are there any safari camps that have waterholes close by so I can observe wildlife from my tent or cabin? We could budget anywhere from $8,000 to 10,000 PP and could stay on ground for 12-14 days.
Read that Zambia has cheaper safari lodges and an abundance of wildlife. Has anyone gone there and what was your experience. Thanks!
Old Jul 7th, 2022, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi barminksi,

Part of my recommendation will depend upon the time of year. If you are travelling during the “green” season of November – April time frame, I think the areas around the Ngamo Pans in Hwange will produce the best wildlife results. For good value safari camps in the area, I’d look at Davidson’s Camp by Wilderness Safaris (located within a private conservancy) and Camelthorn or Bomani Tented by Imvelo (also both in a privat conservancy). All three of these areas will also shine during the dry season.

Other camps in Hwange to consider during the dry months (May – October) would include Somalisa Expedition by African Bushcamps (located near their very upscale Somalisa Camp so all the game viewing is identical between the two and within their own private conservancy). The latter cusp of the dry season gets to be very productive in the northern Sinematella area. Here, you can fine Camp Hwange owned by Dave Carson (amazing owner operated camp) and also Nehimba by Imvelo (both camps in the Sinematella area are within the national park.

Within the camps listed above, Somalisa, Davidson’s, Camp Hwange and Nehimba have the best watering holes in front of camp. You can spend 3-4 nights at any of these camps for a nice relaxed pace.

As for the Okavango Delta in Botswana, water is abundant (unlike Hwange). My favorite value camps are Footsteps Across the Delta by Ker & Downey Botswana, Splash Camp by Kwando, Mma or Rra Dinare. Footsteps and Splash are located along the Maunachira River which has water all year for water based activities. Mma and Rra Dinare are a bit more seasonal. These camps are great all year.

Other great value camps during the dry season (May – October) include Hyena Pan and Little Sable by Natural Selection. This area is in the Khwai Private Reserve which is on the eastern fringes of the Delta. Water activities here are also seasonal and water dependent.

I hope this helps.

Kota Tabuchi - Managing Director, Africa - Travel Beyond