Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Train cancellation - Venice - Villach Austria

Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have an upcoming trip. We will be in Venice 3 days before traveling to Villach, Austria where we will start a self-guided bike tour.
I had purchased non refundable first class train tickets from Venice - Villach on a Sunday morning.
Today I received an email saying there is new information about our trip. Then it says unfortunately due to a technical error they are unable to keep us updated about the timetable, and to check it online. Our train (RJ132) has disappeared. However there is a train that leaves 45 min earlier (9:13 am) with a change to a bus to get to Villach.

We are completely unclear about whether we have been automatically switched to that itinerary. We have emailed OBB, the Austrian train co. to ask for more information.
Does anyone have any experience with these types of situations?
Presumably the recent floods / mudslides have impacted train travel. At any rate, we need to ensure we arrive in Villach on the Sunday. There is another later train (which also has a bus connection now), but we would definitely prefer the earlier option. Also, the afternoon train says "limited seating - no seat without a reservation"

Suggestions?
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 04:57 AM
J62

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also see a 12:50 direct train, no changes. I'd just book that for the 21 euros rather than risk getting boxed out...