Search

Safest place to stay in Belize city

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2022, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safest place to stay in Belize city

Dear fellow travelers,

What is a good and safe area to sleep in Belize city? We have an early morning flight from Belize international airport (Philip SW Goldson airport).
Would e.g., Ladyville be a safe and good area to sleep in?

Sincerely,
Mattias
Old Jun 27th, 2022, 02:18 AM

The airport is in the suburb of Ladyville, so you can't get any closer. The Global Village Hotel is just outside the entrance to the airport. It's very plain, but clean and safe. The Bamboleo Inn is nicer, and it's about 10 minutes away, if even that.
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Hi Jeff,

Thank you.
Is Ladyville a safe place to stay? Or do you recommend staying another place (maybe further away from the airport) and then taking a taxi in the morning to the airport?

Sincerely,
Mattias
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 12:59 PM

Yes, I agree. Ladyville is safe, and it's quite far from the dodgy parts of Belize City.

How early is your flight that morning?
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for verifying the safety of Ladyville, Our flight is at 10:30am.

Sincerely,
Mattias
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 07:35 PM

Then I think it's a good idea to stay out there your last night. There really are some safe, decent places to stay in Belize City itself, but you'd have to contend with traffic getting to the airport that morning.
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 08:30 AM

I stayed at the Great House in Belize City, which I very much enjoyed and felt quite comfortable but agree with Jeff that being close to the airport sounds like a good plan for a morning flight.
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 05:26 PM

I like the Great House too, Daniel. It's a converted mansion from the early 20th century, and the neighborhood is safe at night. Its big drawback is that reception is on the second floor and rooms are on the second and third floors. There's no elevator, so anybody who has trouble with stairs should not stay there.
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 05:44 PM

A block from the Great House is Harbour View. It opened shortly before the pandemic hit, but they seem to be doing well now. It's a collection of cottages in a garden setting. It's a cliche to say this, but it's a cool oasis in the middle of a hot, sweltering city. They do spa treatments and yoga sessions too. Across the street, same management, is Martha's Cafe, with a lot of vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free options on the menu.

Across the street from the Great House is the Radisson Fort George. This was Belize's original chain hotel. And it is a chain hotel, but it's nice and a lot of people like the comfort of a familiar name.

I guess my point is, it is possible to stay in the city itself. This neighborhood (Fort George) is perfectly fine. But, yes, for an early-morning flight, I'd stay that last night out near the airport.