Search

Too dangerous?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2022, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too dangerous?

A friend, super well traveled American guy, says S. AFrica, just too dangerous to travel, ie crime/ robbery. Is he correct?
Old Jun 19th, 2022, 04:22 AM

Not if you are careful

I don't really agree with your American friend. A package group tour or a visit to a lodge in a national park or a private game reserve should be extremely safe and enjoyable. Walking alone through Johannesburg, or even on one of the Durban beaches is a different story. So I think safety concerns depend on what you want to do on your holiday and where you want to go.

If you want to travel alone by public transport, car; or bicycle, interacting freely with local people and not looking over your shoulder all the time, then Namibia, Swaziland, and Botswana are all much safer choices than South Africa. (I live in Botswana and have no hesitation in walking alone through any of the villages or towns in my province, and often don't bother to lock my car).

Yes, South Africa indisputably has a serious crime problem, and it is something you have to think about as you plan a holiday there. There are places and activities you may want to avoid. But it shouldn't stop you from going there - millions of tourists do every year and go home having had a wonderful time. And if you are really worried about crime try one of the neighbouring countries instead.

Good luck with your planning ! Graeme
Old Jun 19th, 2022, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks GRameMy friend never been to S. AFrica though been to many countries in Africa, just what heard/ read. I'm from LA. He is from LA and he now lives in France. I'm still in LA.

Glancing at replies, dAvid, others, what if traveling with friend and walk around Capetown ok, maybe drive around Krueger ok? I do tend avoid counties if lot of kidnapping report.. ie, avoided Columbia in 90s.. but I agree, lot of this is overblown. But had to ask as was preparing form S. AFrican trip last Dec, but had to bail because of covid, but now wondering about this Dec.

This comment from my friend, who like me been over 60 countries.

Still want to go but? Then I was going to see more: Durban, other villages, but..?

Was thinking exactly: Namibia/ Botswana.: ok 3 weeks, what recommend? Maybe just Captown, and Botswana/ Namibia or..?

Old Jun 19th, 2022, 01:58 PM

I was in Capetown on my own, but you do need to take care exactly where you are.
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 09:47 AM

Your friend has never visited the country.
I visited 4 time pre-Covid (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019) and will return at the end of November for another 3 week visit to Paradise.
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 12:21 PM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
It is safe but eyes-wide-open kind of safe. We went in 2016 (driving Cape Town and wine area + self-drive in Kruger), 2017 (self-drive Kruger and Panoramic drive), and 2019 (self-drive Kruger and eSwatini).