Pemex Gas at the Cabo Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2022, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to fill the rental car at Pemex on Ave Leona Vicario at the Cabo airport and was taken for about $30. Attendant said no credit cards, pump said the correct amount charged, cheated by about half a tank. Check your gas gauge before you leave the station!
Kevin
Old Jun 19th, 2022, 08:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
And make sure they zero out the pump before filling up.
Old Jun 21st, 2022, 07:21 AM

Gas station scams seem to be common throughout tourist areas in Mexico. It's a hassle, but if you know what the scams are, you can guard against them. Common things are not zeroing the pump before starting, short changing people, running a credit card and saying it isn't working and getting cash payment, etc. I let my guard down and got short changed once. It happens.
Old Nov 19th, 2022, 11:14 PM

Pemex Scam in Cabo--Question for anyone Credit card scammed?

i would like to see anyone on here who was scammed by the ring at the Pemex station in Cabo and their credit card was used fraudulently. I have Capital One for the card used in the scam and they are telling me after a 6 month
fight with them that I need to pay the charge. I have provided documentation and my signature which is clearly not the sig used on the unauthorized charge. They don't care and it is a frustrating circle trying to educate them on what happened. I am wanting to compare Capital One's response to this fraud situation vs. other banks. I plan to cancel my 2 Cap One cards after this is over (not giving up on making this right) and also telling everyone about the terrible lack of service and loyalty they show their cardholders. The most ironic thing is Capital One texted me immediately after the card was used and asked if I had made the charge to which I immediately said no. They cancelled the card and I called the fraud department upon returning home a few hours later to explain what had happened at the gas station. Never thinking Capital One would not stand behind me I have been totally shocked and frustrated by their total disregard for customer service. Hope to see some posts on here with the ending of the story better than mine! My charge is over $1K so it's not something that I plan to let go until I get the charge permanently reversed.
Old Nov 20th, 2022, 09:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sorry this has happened to you. Keep us posted
Old Nov 22nd, 2022, 02:46 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Sorry this happened. And sorry this is nothing new in Mexico. Only one of the reasons I have never rented a car there.
Old Nov 23rd, 2022, 09:40 AM

Learned a big lesson. Will only pay cash from now on and will get out of the car to watch them. Still wanting to hear from anyone who had a fight with their credit card company. Today I spoke with Capital One again--it's hopeless. They actually told me I needed to provide a cash receipt for the same amount of the scam charge to prove it was paid! I explained again that the amount was $60 and gas. Over $1K gas would not fit in a car. She had no answer and this is a Supervisor from Capital One Fraud Team. I have now filed with the Customer Financial Protection Bureau. Hopefully, they can help. My advice--cancel your Cap One cards. It's beyond frustrating if you ever have an issue.