Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Have 4-5 weeks all of a sudden to travel, where to go?

Old Jun 18th, 2022, 02:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone! I’m (24M) planning a solo trip as a gift to myself for starting my new job. I have 4-5 weeks before I start my new job to travel. Tentative dates would be July 5th to August 2nd. But I don’t start until August 8th so I’m a bit flexible.

This would be my second time solo travelling and I’ve only ever so far soloed Italy and France. I’m looking to get some recommendations on some places I should go to.

Here are some details:

- budget: I mainly do hostels but do like eating out. I have a very healthy amount budgeted but I doubt I will get close to spending even half of it, even if I did hotels and dined out at nice restaurants.

- I’ve been to a decent amount of Europe (Paris, London, many cities in Italy, Prague, Vienna, Kyiv), US, Canada, and Israel

- travel dates: Whole month of July 2022

- I love being surrounded by interesting architecture, I love wandering at night, I also am looking for the occasional club scene. A place where it’s good to be your early mid 20s

- I enjoy exploring like going on cool hikes

- Don’t mind museums but am not a fan of art museums (at least older stuff like renaissance)

- I have American citizenship

So far I’ve been considering a few options:

- Japan or South Korea (looks like Japan is now open for tourists, although only on guided tours. SK is fully open).

- Thailand/Vietnam/Cambodia (only downside I see is that it’s the rainy season and will be humid)

- South America (Argentina/Peru/Brazil)

- Big Europe trip (Paragliding Switzerland, partying in Berlin and Budapest, Chilling in Amsterdam, maybe even checking out the Baltics and maybe Spain and more of France or even the UK)

- Aus/NZ

There’s so much of Europe to see that I wouldn’t mind doing it again. At the same time doing non-Europe would open up a new continent I have never been to. In an ideal world I would probably want to visit Japan solo, but it’s closed off for only guided tours. I felt very inspired by the movie “Lost in Translation”

Peru seems cool because I’ve always wanted to visit Machu Pichu

Are some locations better to visit while young?

ill be posting this in numerous forums since there’s no general world forum.
Old Jun 18th, 2022, 06:58 AM

Weather wise Oz and NZ during that time of year is in their winter season though I don't think its anywhere near say winters in say the midwest of the US. it should be quite tolerable and easier to travel in. from what i can see Sydney will be in the 50's and Melbourne in the 50's. Should be no problem.

Melbourne and Sydney would be great for nightlife for you. NZ is an easy jaunt to reach as well.

Now of you want more nightlife and clubs you are not too far from Singapore and Bangkok where the scene can be as hot as the temps.

As it seems you have never been to SEA to me its a fabulous place to see. I'd bet you would never forget it.

Good luck and enjoy what may be the trip of a lifetime.

Larry

Last edited by jacketwatch; Jun 18th, 2022 at 07:02 AM.
Old Jun 18th, 2022, 07:33 PM

Last year I spent 3 weeks in Armenia and Georgia, and it was one of the top two travel experiences of my life. The other was a 3 week trip to Japan and China. So despite my extensive travel experience in Europe, so far Asia represents my top two experiences. I could have spent much more time on either trip.
Old Jun 19th, 2022, 10:11 AM

You can scratch much of Asia simply because of the monsoon season. There are better times to visit India, SEA, or even Japan. Bali would work and maybe elsewhere in Indonesia or Malaysia.

it is dry season for Macchu Picchu, so good time to go. Get an open-jaw ticket and fly to Lima or Cuzco returning from Buenos Aires. Visit MP and Peru then fly over to BA with a side trip to Iguassu Falls.

New Zealand, Australia, South Africa. check weatherbase.com
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 06:00 AM

I have been to Japan 3x in August, and I had a great time each time. There are plenty of people traveling to Japan at this time. I count one of these trips to Japan and China as a major highlight, not just of travel, but of life experiences.
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 02:03 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I would choose Japan although it will be hot and humid in the summer months.
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 03:04 PM

^... and closed.

Meanwhile, there are other countries where July is an excellent time to go and are open to DIY tourists.