Boston to Nova Scotia

Search

Boston to Nova Scotia

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2022, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston to Nova Scotia

HI. It's been 2 years and now it seems we may finally be able to go to Nova Scotia! We will be driving from Boston. End of August early September. We will have 8 nights total.

We are in our 60's and love to walk, hike, enjoy beautiful scenery, and eat at local restaurants. I would love to experience the Cabot Trail and yet struggle with going to Nova Scotia and not visiting Halifax. Ideally would do both yet Cabot Trail is my priority.

Would appreciate any advice for an 8 night trip including places to stay along the Cabot trail. Our preference would be to minimize the number of hotels if possible.

If the ferry is working from Portland to Halifax that may be worth considering if it saves time and avoid us having to stay a night along the way. We visited Prince Edward Island a few years ago and had to stay in St. Andrews because of the long drive. It was all wonderful but again, trying to maximize our 8 nights without having to drive the majority of the time.

Thanks.
Old Jun 16th, 2022, 04:11 AM

You can take the cat high speed ferry from Bar Harbor, ME to Yarmouth, NS. About 3.5 hour ride. They are running a Father’s Day Special the next few days on the fare. We did this oh about 20 years ago it was a great experience. It would cut the driving even if you only went from ME to NS.

https://www.ferries.ca/thecat/schedule/

Enjoy the trip.

Tom
Old Jun 17th, 2022, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Any suggestions for how to best enjoy Cape Breton and other areas that you may recommend? Trying to determine an itinerary that will minimize driving and yet see the highlights of Nova Scotia. Prefer not to jump from hotel to hotel. Any idea how much driving time the ferry will save us. I'm almost inclined to drive to New Brunswick and stay a night like we did last time when we went to Prince Edward Island and then drive to a point in Nova Scotia not sure where and then enjoy the Cabot trail. We have a total of 8 nights but that includes leaving from and returning to Boston.

W
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 11:25 AM

I cannot for the life of me fathom why tourists EVER bother with the ferry from the U.S. to Yarmouth.

Most of what you want to SEE in NS... is up north. And NS is already remote enough on its own without your starting out IN A REMOTE part OF NS.

(Because NS is not on the way to anywhere, there are far fewer people trying/needing to get through it... thus the roads are not set up for the high-speed getting around that is commonplace in most of the U.S. and much of the rest of civilized Canada)

Furthermore, a highlight to the area is The Bay of Fundy... and the most significant of unique elements of the Bay of Fundy are more prominent higher up on the bay shore, (some best viewed from the areas near where you drive up and around)

The... idea of optimizing Nova Scotia scenery from a minimal number of (hotel) home bases is also something of a challenge, but you CAN make SOME headway with that - I hope.

With that said... what would I do with 8 total nights??? (and considering mainly YOUR stated priorities/interests) beginning from Boston:

As you suspect, a night en route makes sense.

The machine says that the path through Calais is FIVE MINUTES faster... but I'd never advise it in a million years (er, unless you needed to save the $5/6 on gas, for Calais being 37 miles less distance than to go through Houlton).

I'd make (your) first night somewhere up in the sticks near/approaching Houlton... (which would afford you the freedom to dart across the border with light traffic, no matter the time) (MAYbe even into Canada {Woodstock?} for that first night, just so border routines will be behind you)

Somebody on this website mentioned within the past year that they are soon moving to Moncton, NB... and it dawns on me that MONCTON, while seldom a 'destination' that people ever think of, IS nicely situated to make a "home base" for things to do in various directions.

So for you I'm going to make the revolutionary suggestion of TWO (and "3" isn't out of the question) nights IN Moncton. Fundy National Park is 75 minutes away, and you can spend a day hiking and sightseeing there, while timing just right a trip to Hopewell Cape at low tide. (when en route either to or from Fundy NP)

Moncton is getting bigger, but remains a cute little place with a pleasant downtown area. IF one created a 3rd night IN Moncton, then I would put them on their own to go north from Moncton in search of sightseeing/hiking. Miramichi is 90 minutes away on the fast path and it is likely that somewhere on the coast would offer plenty of hiking/scenic visions.

Next, I call upon my years and years of suggesting Baddeck (say "buh-DECK") as a home base for Cape Breton.

My favorite reason for this is the possibility of FOG ruining ones plotted path around the Cabot Trail.

Baddeck has the advantage of being centrally located... but in the case of wanting the one home base, it does demand a complete circuit of the Cabot Trail in a day.

The time/distance path involved equates to "184" miles... and "3 hours 40 minutes" of actual DRIVING time.

That, by itself, is obviously within the range of most... but it would require that you be selective in your choice of places to stop and hike.

If you make the trek... counterclockwise... and time it so you can get to Skyline Trail in time for sunset... then you should probably do that.

Were it me, I would have the precise sunset time on your dates for... Cheticamp, NS

and target that, allowing plenty of margin for error (which probably means, target getting there EARLY, and IF as your day around the Cabot Trail evolves without a hiccup, THEN you insert an extra hike/meal/pause once you know that you'll have plenty of time)

The main Skyline Trail is such that you could be out at the viewpoint at sunset and just beyond, and it would be likely that several other people would be around... and IF you bring flashlights, there is nothing about the return trail that should really concern you. (by then you'd have also already traversed the trail on the way out, so you'd have your own keen awareness of what lies ahead between you and the parking lot later on)

From Baddeck the next day you could drive into Sydney and perhaps then to Louisbourg... and/or in any other number of directions.

HALIFAX... is, of course... a sensible consideration (in terms of whether to go away having missed it)

*** and of course the core concern is that Halifax isn't on the WAY to anywhere so when will you ever get there if you don't include it now?

That's all very sensible. (the first time I ever went, I was in Boston and had 48 hours to allocate to getting there and getting back to Boston)

But I did it, and I was glad to have done so.

If this were MY trip I'd just been laying out... of course I'd go at break-neck speed not caring about being in a different hotel every night (man, I miss Priceline bidding!!!).

My attempt at priorities here, though, was based entirely on YOU.

And given what you've said is important to you, I just think you'll be more comfortable as I laid it out, rather than going 2 in Moncton, 2 in Baddeck, and 2 in Halifax (plus one en route each way)

IF I were trying to "free up time" to include Halifax...

I would consider dedicating the first day to 8-ish hours of driving 500 miles to Moncton (but normal people don't so often do that).

Then DO visit Hopewell Cape from Moncton, before pressing on again to Baddeck (260 miles and 4+ hours)

Then perhaps the 3 nights in Baddeck (some of it merely to REST)

Followed by 3 nights in Halifax (day trips to Peggy's Cove/Lunenburg - 65 miles)... and possibly to the Fundy Shore somewhere (me: definitely, you: possibly?)

(Halifax to Burntcoat Head Park = 80 minutes / 59 miles) time THAT for low tide (and see how much hiking you can do)

Lastly, I guess you TRY to make it all of the way back to the U.S. side of the border for your last of 8 nights (again, just to have the border delay behind you)

Hope this stirs your thoughts.

Last edited by NorthwestMale; Jun 20th, 2022 at 11:44 AM.
Old Jun 25th, 2022, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Hi. that was a wealth of information and I greatly appreciate it. You apparently know the area quite well and I am fortunate you have responded.

We have decided to drive from Boston and similar to what we did on our trip to PEI we will stay a night in either St. Andrews, St. Johns, or somewhere else nearby. We stayed in St. Andrews last time and thinking of trying something different. St. Andrews was beautiful and enjoyed walking through the town and dining at a local restaurant. That is exactly what we are looking for.

From there we will heed your advice and try to plan 5-6 nights to cover Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail. We actually did visit Hopewell Cape and it was amazing but we will bypass that this time around just for providing more time to explore new areas.

I'll be studying the map and along with your great information plan what we believe works for us. If we could fit Halifax in (maybe on the way back) and then still allow for a stopover in Maine on the way back home we will do it!

Thanks again for all your advice. W
Old Jun 25th, 2022, 09:43 AM

I do not know if you like gardens but we have been a few below and are worth a trip. Just in case you have nothing to do…lol

Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens

132 Botanical Gardens Drive
Boothbay, ME 04537
https://www.mainegardens.org

In New Brunswick

https://www.todocanada.ca/must-visit...new-brunswick/

Tom
Old Jun 25th, 2022, 09:49 AM

One last thing:

It never hurts to chart the TIDE TIMES for the days you'll be in the area...

IN CASE you'll be somewhere near to a spot (which perhaps you've already seen at the opposite tidal extreme?)

https://bayoffundytourism.com/worlds...t-tides/times/

I would have them on paper, in the glovebox, for various spots around the bay during the window of your trip.

(and you can prepare all of that well in advance)

Old Jun 25th, 2022, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by WarrenWST
... We are in our 60's and love to walk, hike, enjoy beautiful scenery, and eat at local restaurants. I would love to experience the Cabot Trail ...
WarrenWST, my wife and I have hiked most of the trails in Cape Breton Highlands National Park. If you can give me an idea of how much time and energy you will have to hike while you are there, I can probably recommend some specific trails that might suit.
Old Jul 29th, 2022, 03:02 PM

thank you NorthwestMale........what a wealth of info. Madly researching your ideas for next May/June.
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Hi. Sorry for the delay. Just returned from our Blue Ridge/Great Smokey Mountains trip (which was wonderful). Followed great suggestions from other Fodor members!

Well, unfortunately, Nova Scotia is going to have to wait until next year. I struggled finding places to stay; most likely because we planned too late. We did book Vancouver, Victoria, and Seattle though so looking forward to that.

Hopefully you won't mind me reaching out if needed. I plan on using the information provided and planning now for next year.

Agree and thankful that NorthwestMale provided an encyclopedia of information and special thanks to all. It is all excellent information.

We are actually toying with the idea of flying in and out of Halifax, staying at the Marriott, and then making our journey through and around Cape Breton. This saves all the driving time to and from Boston and gives us more days to enjoy Nova Scotia.

AnselmAdome, in terms of our hiking preference, we like easy and moderate hikes. My wife is still recovering from a broken heel so we tend not to do too strenuous at this time. Our experience in the Great Smokey's is typical where we did 5 mile + round trip hikes and some much shorter ones as well. We have all done 7+ mile hikes in many other parts of the country. Hope that helps for some future recommendations.

Thanks again everybody. We will get there!

W