Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Chile with kids - help with itinerary, please!

Old Jun 11th, 2022, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! My husband and I will be visiting Chile for the first time this fall with our children (ages 8 and 6.) We're a fairly adventurous family and love to go hiking/biking/exploring. Our idea of relaxing is getting up early and trying to explore as much of a country as possible. Therefore, we don't want a ton of downtime in our itinerary. All that being said, we're trying to finalize our plans and I'm starting to worry that it's too aggressive. The two biggies on our list are to visit the Atacama and Easter Island. Our travel guide is advising that the altitude at the Atacama is going to be tough and that we need at least two days to acclimate. Anyone have thoughts on this? Is it worth four days of our trip?

Below is a breakdown of our tentative plan. We're somewhat flexible on adding/subtracting days. The latest version of our itinerary cut out the Lakes Region entirely, which also has me wondering if we're now missing out on another "must see" for the sake of Atacama. I've heard Vincente Perez Rosales National Park is really beautiful so am wondering if we should prioritize that instead. If anyone has specific input on things to cut/things to add/must-sees based on the above information I would really appreciate it. We're so excited to explore this amazing country and would love some input from fellow travelers!

Day 1 - Fly to Santiago
Day 2 - 4 Atacama
Day 5 - Travel to Pucon
Day 6 - Villarrica Volcano
Day 7 - Visit with Mapuche
Day 8 - Fly to Punta Arenas
Day 9 - Magdalena & Marta Islands/Puerto Natales
Day 10 - Day excursion (open to ideas?)
Day 11 - Day excursion (open to ideas?)
Day 12 - Fly to Santiago
Day 13 - 16 Easter Island
Day 17 - Depart for home

Thanks....
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 11:37 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We did the Lakes Crossing from Bariloche, Argentina to Pietro Varas , Chile. I think your children would love it as you would too. You will pass several volcanoes. We stayed overnight in the traditional lodge as we entered Puella, Chile which I recommend doing.
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 01:56 PM

Days 10 and 11 wouldn't you go to Torres del Paine?
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 01:54 AM

I assume you are heading to San Pedro de Atacama? If so, it is unlike likely to be much of an issue and it is only around 2400m all below the altitude which the effects start to hit. That said, it is a long way to go for a couple of days and in the opposite direction from the other places on your itinerary. I would reconsider. Perhaps Valparaiso? We spent a few days there and loved it. Not too far from Santiago with direct buses from the airport as I recall. Some details and photos of our time there @ https://accidentalnomads.com/2008/10...ls-and-horses/ . If at all interested in horses there are some great rides for all levels around Vina del Mar.

We never made it as far south at Puerto Natales but loved Pucon and Villarica. We did a greta bike ride around the base of Villarica through some stunning scenery. May be a bit much for the kids but Puno is geared up for tourism so you would like be able to rent those bikes with trailers for the children.

Agree with mlgb re Torres de Paine. Really regret not going there but it was the wrong time of year when we were in that neck of the woods,

Old Jun 13th, 2022, 09:05 AM

In Punta Arenas I really liked this lodging, if it works for you. Owners are English Teachers.

https://www.lacasaescondida.cl/

Hotel Las Torres website

https://lastorres.com/en/

Old Jun 22nd, 2022, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr
We did the Lakes Crossing from Bariloche, Argentina to Pietro Varas , Chile. I think your children would love it as you would too. You will pass several volcanoes. We stayed overnight in the traditional lodge as we entered Puella, Chile which I recommend doing.
Thank you so much for your response
Old Jun 22nd, 2022, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mlgb
Days 10 and 11 wouldn't you go to Torres del Paine?
no
Old Jun 22nd, 2022, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lessielacey
no
Ok, Thanks
Old Jun 23rd, 2022, 11:19 AM

You should really enjoy Santiago. Two parks come to mind, keeping the ages of your kids in mind, the first may be better.
1.Parque Cerro Santa Lucia is right in town. The cerro is an extinct volcano - but a fairly small one. Lots of easy sidewalk trails that lead to the top, where you have a great view of the city and the Andes to the east. The flowers attract lots of large, showy hummingbirds, the Green-backed Firecrown,
2.Parque Metropolitano was my favorite. It is also right close to downtown. It is much more extensive, leading to the top of another mountain. But there are plenty of paths of varying lengths and difficulties.

Have fun!