New York with teens?

Search

New York with teens?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2022, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New York with teens?

Hello! We're taking our two boys (ages 13 and 16) to NYC for six days in mid-July. Wondering if anyone has suggestions for family-friendly hotels and activities for teens at night. We'll do a Broadway show, but it would be nice to have some other options as well. Planning to hit the museums (Natural History, MOMA), Central Park, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Little Italy and Chinatown. Thanks!!
Old Jun 8th, 2022, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by egonza
Hello! We're taking our two boys (ages 13 and 16) to NYC for six days in mid-July. Wondering if anyone has suggestions for family-friendly hotels and activities for teens at night. We'll do a Broadway show, but it would be nice to have some other options as well. Planning to hit the museums (Natural History, MOMA), Central Park, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Little Italy and Chinatown. Thanks!!
I asked the MODs to move your thread to the New York sub forum. You should get more responses there.

Your plans sound great. I would, though, advise that you check the websites of the Museums, etc beforehand as certain Covid restrictions may still be in effect. Advance reservations for specific times will most likely be required. Masking in some places may also be necessary. For example: Masks are still required on all public transportation in NYC. Also some places may also want proof of vaccination (although that is getting rare).

​​​​​
Old Jun 8th, 2022, 01:57 PM

Agree with your choices. Also, there are 5 zoos in NYC...here's my 2019 TR for ideas:

New York City – Sargent and the Zoo

Hub and I also enjoyed Ellen's Stardust diner (waaay before covid so double check) where wait staff were actors and they interacted with the diners. We also went to Coney Island but that might be too much a time eater.

Enjoy and please share how it goes.
Old Jun 8th, 2022, 01:58 PM

Agree with your choices. Also, there are 5 zoos in NYC...here's my 2019 TR for ideas:

New York City – Sargent and the Zoo

Hub and I also enjoyed Ellen's Stardust diner (waaay before covid so double check) where wait staff were actors and they interacted with the diners. We also went to Coney Island but that might be too much a time eater.

Enjoy and please share how it goes.
Old Jun 8th, 2022, 04:54 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Are they interested in movie making? Our grandchild loved the Museum of the Moving Image. It is in Queens but easy to get to by subway.
Old Jun 8th, 2022, 06:16 PM

You might also check out The Color Factory, Summit One Vanderbilt, The Little Island and the Highline. The Harry Potter store if they are into that. Rent bikes and ride up the Hudson River Trail (it's called something like that). Circle Line Cruise? Behind the scenes at Rockefeller Center? The Tenement Museum can be very interesting.

Make sure you go ahead and get tickets for Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty if you are doing that.
Old Jun 9th, 2022, 09:13 AM

If they're anything like my kids, they'll enjoy a meal in Chinatown (our favorite spot is Joe's Shanghai on Pell St - get the soup dumplings!), riding the Staten Island Ferry (free), and a visit to Governor's Island (maybe rent bicycles and tool around the island?). I know people love the Statue of Liberty, but it's hellacious when it's hot out and I'll never go there again in summer. I recommend downtown, like waaayyy downtown for decent prices for hotels. It's very walkable and you can reach the South Street Seaport, the Brooklyn Bridge and the 9/11 Memorial all on foot.
Old Jun 9th, 2022, 04:09 PM

If you do decide to do the Statue of Liberty, I recommend getting the first ferry of the day to minimize the time you'll spend in line. It will be cooler than, too.
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 02:57 AM

Apologies for not having read more closely - missed the part about night activities! Walking across the Brooklyn Bridge remains a cool option, as does the SI Ferry. Maybe Top of the Rock or the Empire State Bldg to see the city lit up?