2 nights outside of Switzerland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2022, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plans keep shifting (no fault of my own). What would be a good 2/3 day trip outside of Switzerland? We will be in Zurich or I could travel from Ascona too. I will be taking the train. Would love any suggestions. Thanks
Old Jun 6th, 2022, 06:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have taken the train from Switzerland to Venice a couple times. Milan works too.
Old Jun 6th, 2022, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

I actually thought about doing this. I love Venice. It is so magical. Thank you for commenting.
Old Jun 6th, 2022, 07:12 PM

Strasbourg
Old Jun 6th, 2022, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

We seem to be all in sync! Strasbourg was second on my list. I have been, but only passing through. Would you stay in Strasbourg or Colmar? I see there are some nice tours to the villages nearby or I could train it. If anyone has a good accommodation suggestion in the area. I would appreciate it too.
Old Jun 6th, 2022, 07:44 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I was staying in Vevey, one time did a night train to Venice then the day train back thru Sion about 4-5 days later. Anoter trip was also from Vevey but I did the overnight to Venice stayed 4-5 days and then continued on to Paris.
Old Jun 6th, 2022, 08:31 PM

I love Venice too, but feel I have not really explored Strasbourg as much as I would like, just an afternoon a few times and never the canal area. Just look at these gorgeous canals, flowers and buildings! Oops, will repost a link. Of course, you can find them on your own. There are wonderful maps for DIY walks.
https://www.gpsmycity.com/discovery/...-tour-461.html

Last edited by Sassafrass; Jun 6th, 2022 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Post link
Old Jun 7th, 2022, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

I think Strasbourg area it is! I would love to go to Venice, but it will be next trip. Any recommendations for accommodation or day tours in the area?
Old Jun 7th, 2022, 04:30 PM

I just posted a reply to your thread asking for ideas in Alsace. Now I see that you're taking a train from Zurich. That would have been handy to know in the Alsace thread.
It appears that there are no direct trains to either Strasbourg or Colmar. Since Colmar is closer, why not take a bus there and spend nights there. You could take the train to Strasbourg for a day trip and rent a car or bicycles for your route du vin villages.
Old Jun 7th, 2022, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sassafrass
I love Venice too, but feel I have not really explored Strasbourg as much as I would like, just an afternoon a few times and never the canal area. Just look at these gorgeous canals, flowers and buildings! Oops, will repost a link. Of course, you can find them on your own. There are wonderful maps for DIY walks.
https://www.gpsmycity.com/discovery/...-tour-461.html
Thanks for the link!
Old Jun 7th, 2022, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MichGuy
I just posted a reply to your thread asking for ideas in Alsace. Now I see that you're taking a train from Zurich. That would have been handy to know in the Alsace thread.
It appears that there are no direct trains to either Strasbourg or Colmar. Since Colmar is closer, why not take a bus there and spend nights there. You could take the train to Strasbourg for a day trip and rent a car or bicycles for your route du vin villages.
Thank you for this. I hadn't thought about this. There seem to be good accommodations all around the area. I will look for the bus routes.