Road trip, Ontario to Prince Edward Island, Canada

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice report - thanks for posting!
Old Oct 19th, 2022, 12:44 AM

Hey Aulop,

What a wonderful road trip. I'm dreaming about the experience of visiting such spots. Those photographs are quite impressive.

Stella Leo
Old Jan 12th, 2023, 02:41 PM

I love your photos! My husband and I are thinking of visiting PEI this summer, July or August. What month were you there? How many nights did you stay? And where did you stay? I haven't done any research yet. Need to buy some guidebooks. But just want to get some ideas from you.
Old Jan 12th, 2023, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by KarenWoo
I love your photos! My husband and I are thinking of visiting PEI this summer, July or August. What month were you there? How many nights did you stay? And where did you stay? I haven't done any research yet. Need to buy some guidebooks. But just want to get some ideas from you.
Karen,

Did you see this post on PEI, if not check it out a lot of information on the island.

Halifax and PEI

Both July and August are great months to visit all the tourist places are open. 3-5 days will give you a feel for the island, a week is even better! Many places book quickly during the summer so better start planning..lol. Most of the hotels are in Charlottetown BUT get out and explore the national parks and country side. If you have any questions after reviewing the above post let us know. PEI is a beautiful place and NOT crowded during the summer compared to many places we have visited in the USA and Canada.

Tom
Old Jan 12th, 2023, 03:49 PM

Tom, thank you so much for your prompt reply and helpful information. I will definitely read the post you included.
Old Jan 13th, 2023, 09:58 AM

Aulop— Beautiful photos with magically crisp colours of some terrific parts of Canada that I have repeat visited: Kingston, Quebec City, PEI (Montreal is home) and your report gave me some new ideas for when I return such as ferry to Levis, penitentiary in Kingston, numerous places on PEI like Victoria-by-the-Sea, just to mention a few! Great report; sorry I missed it the first time around!
Old Jan 20th, 2023, 11:43 PM
Original Poster

KarenWoo
I just noticed your post ( as you know I'm on my extended Portugal trip - Extended trip to Portugal ).
To answer your questions, we traveled in May/June, to coincide with the lobster season.
We stayed in hotels during during the trip to PEI and booked a private cottage in Stanhope for 1 week.
On future trips to PEI I will divide my stay between the east and west so there isn't so much driving and more sightseeing.
If you go, try the black garlic at Eureka Farms, certainly different.
tlc195 ( tom) has a lot of great info on PEI.

Daniel_Williams
Thanks for the compliment I appreciate it.
The ferry to Levi was a great tip from the hotel, not only did it save quite bit of time and stress from dealing with the traffic/construction in Quebec city, but it provided great views of the Old City.
Right now I'm on a extended trip to Portugal (Extended trip to Portugal) trying it out as possible substitution to Florida ( I'm using a travel phone rather than my phone and the photos aren't as good).

My next next trip will likely be a trip of of the Trent to Severn Waterway, difficult to work out the logistics while I'm in my Portugal trip, it might provide with some travel ideas.
I'll probably do it in the spring, if that interests you check the Canada/Ontario forum for that post.

Old Jan 21st, 2023, 06:27 AM

Aulop, thank you for your detailed response. I have been following along with your Portugal trip although I don't always respond. Your most recent photos of Sesimbra are beautiful. I enjoy seeing photos of places I didn't visit.

Tom has been very helpful with lots of good information. I agree with you about needing 2 bases on PEI. That is exactly what I have done. I booked a B&B in Hermanville (near Souris) on the east side, and another B&B in North Rustico close to the entrance of PEI NP and 30 minutes from Charlottetown. It's about a 45 minute drive to Summerside, and 1.5 hours to Tignish if we want to go that far.

Enjoy your stay in Portugal!
Old Jan 21st, 2023, 10:13 AM

Aulop, loved your report. My fave foto is your shot of the 'Victoria' gazebo on the promenade. That fantastic image could be matted and framed or as our DCD here has done, embedded into metal.
Your journey crossed a number of places from our own history. My wife was born in Kingston but moved to Montreal when she was nine. Once, when the Kingston Pen had a breakout, my wife and her sister were forbidden to go outside to play. My second career involved teaching young offenders, but I'm not sure whether any were incarcerated there.

My first career playing in a bar band saw us performing many times in Montreal, Quebec City et aussi Levis!
Finally, a good friend reinvented herself as a designer of prosthetic devices, and her very successful company is based in Charlottetown.

Where to next?
I am done. the rocker lobster
Old Jan 21st, 2023, 11:19 PM
Original Poster

Zebec
Thanks for the comments I appreciate it.
I also like that photo, it's one of my favorites. Unfortunately enlarging photos taken with the phone don't turn out as desired - I've tried with some of my favorite photos.
Maybe I'll invest in a full frame DSLR , but they're so bulky and awkward to travel with.
Reading your post it reminds me of how often people's paths intersect.
It really is a small world.

I'm on a extended trip to Portugal right now and afterwards I plan on doing the Trent - Severn Waterway.
After the pandemic lock down it's nice to be able to travel again .
Old Jan 22nd, 2023, 09:58 AM

Portugal suggestions:
-maybe visit Marvao
-listen to Madredeus, a now defunct but nonetheless less excellent folk band from Lisboa; outstanding female vocalist songs inc. 'Oxala' and 'Cuidad' and many more.
-ditto to the electric guitar duo 'Dead Combo', also from Lisboa; noir spaghetti-western style instrumentals; utterly different from Madredeus; any album will do
-maybe visit Salema

I am done. the end
Old Jan 23rd, 2023, 12:10 AM
Original Poster

Zebec
Thanks for the suggestions I appreciate it.
I've been to the locations, I'm familiar with Madredeus but not the others I'll check them out.