Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

should I do solo trip or travel with family ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2022, 03:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

which is better for a girl most often the solo trips are not allowed by the family members
Old Jun 1st, 2022, 05:04 PM

If you were allowed to travel alone it would be the best than the family. Spending some quality time with yourself and exploring your abilities is a fantastic idea. You can meet new people, go to destinations at your leisure, and participate in activities to make your trip special.
Old Jun 1st, 2022, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am female, and I have traveled in India on my own. However, I was in my 50s the first time and my 60s the second. The most recent trip was 2010, and I would not do it again. I think that India has become more dangerous for solo females, and I certainly would not travel solo in India if I were young and female, and even more certainly not if I were young and female and Indian. Other countries are another matter.

You might read this: India still dangerous for women

Or this: Gang rape in India. Again.
Old Jun 19th, 2022, 09:20 PM

It actually depends on what you want to do.
I would not recommend a solo lady doing a trip in remote areas, riding a bike / bicycle and going deep into rural areas. This is certainly fraught with risk, for there are vagabonds everywhere. Also some states where standards of female literacy are low, will see more crime against women, than areas where socio-cultural education is well imparted. Crime against women, as far as I know, are low in states like Kerala, Himachal, Uttarakhand, Punjab, Mumbai, West Bengal, North eastern states, J&K, Tamil Nadu, just to name a few.
However, if you are travelling in a car with a reliable driver, one is quite safe. I know of an instance, where a very wealthy lawyer from US and a Fodorite, travelled by car, from Khajuraho to Agra, passing through areas notorious for banditry in those days, finally reaching Agra at about 02:30 hrs, without a mishap!
Happy travels!
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 04:18 AM

Anyone reading the advice from vp_singh should be aware that he is in the business of providing the car and driver he advocates. It is certainly true that some areas are worse than others - isn't that the case everywhere? - but danger is not confined to rural areas. Remember the Delhi rape?
Old Jun 21st, 2022, 12:00 AM

Sweden Rape Statistics
Stop maligning India and her fair name!
Old Jun 21st, 2022, 04:16 AM

We have had this discussion before.

First: The definition of rape in Sweden is very different from that in India, in fact it is different from other European countries. See: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKBN23T2R3

Second: The rate of victims reporting rape is almost certainly lower in India

Third: The rate of police recording rape is almost certainly lower in India.

It is not "maligning" to tell the truth. It is disingenuous at best to pretend that India is safer than Sweden, and is more likely self-serving and even reckless. Anyone who claims there is no dangerous misogyny in India is willfully blind.
Old Jun 22nd, 2022, 11:09 PM

a. Section 376 of the IPC clearly states that rape is committed when a man has sex without the woman's consent / against her will etc. The IPC was laid down in the year 1860. So much so for the recent change in law of another country and much theorizing!
b. If the reporting is lower in India, will you hold it against a whole society? Or, do you suggest that Indian mothers, sisters and daughters stop going out of their homes due to 'dangerous misogyny' which exists btw in your eyes only?
c. Police in India is much more proactive.
Malicious activism at best!!

Old Jun 23rd, 2022, 06:03 AM

None so blind as those who don't want to see.

Do an internet search on mysogyny in India. Some sites you might read:

https://www.deccanherald.com/content...-misogyny.html
https://www.beauty-nomad.com/2019/12...-consequences/
https://indianlegalsystem.org/misogy...f-hate-speech/

Then try a search on rape in India. Or how about bride burning? Where else do you think that happens?

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32871350/

It happened to a relative of a Fodor's poster - Yet again! This time in Dharamsala

You might follow that up with sex-selected abortions, or eve teasing.
Old Jun 25th, 2022, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by vp_singh
Stop maligning India and her fair name!
I can see nobody "maligning" India. India has a terrible and undeniable reputation across the world, for institutional misogyny and sexual violence against women. If you cannot accept that the either you are being completely disingenuous and are simply trying to further your commercial interests by pretending the country is safe for women or the Indian media is misrepresenting the problem. I know which one I would bet on.

If any female relative and friend of mine were thinking of travelling solo in India, I would do everything possible to try and change their minds.
Old Jun 26th, 2022, 09:27 PM

Any country whether India or the West is safe so long as you know how to carry yourself! Thanks!!
Old Jun 27th, 2022, 04:44 AM

That is just a version of victim blaming. You, sir, are part of India's problem.
Old Jun 28th, 2022, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by vp_singh
Any country whether India or the West is safe so long as you know how to carry yourself! Thanks!!
Arguably one of the most ridiculous statements I have read on these forums (and there have been a few!). Intelligent debate is just not possible with some people.