Polders and Dikes from amsterdam

Old May 20th, 2022, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Polders and Dikes from amsterdam

Will be in Amsterdam for 3 days in September. I would like to take a day trip with guide to see how the water
is controlled. Delta Waterworks seems too far, and am really interested in the polders and dikes.
Would Zaanse Schans be a good place? I thought I would contact the tourist board for a local guide.
Thaks
Old May 20th, 2022, 01:02 PM

Not exactly what you are asking for but you may find this interesting:
https://www.haarlemmermeermuseum.nl/...t-steam-engine

I wouldn't think Zaanse Schans has anything.

This has a few things: https://www.hollandbovenamsterdam.co...ove-amsterdam/

I'll apply a bit more thought to your question in the morning.

I'm sure others will chip in.
Old May 20th, 2022, 01:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is a big interprétation centre in Zeeland down near Veere { spelling may be wrong) on the great big damn, a good visit.
Old May 21st, 2022, 12:20 AM

OP decided that was too far for a day trip. It is a good place though.

I'm not sure there is that much information about it elsewhere. People here just accept it - they get taught about it in school, and live in polders and drive on dikes all the time.

One museum which was a fairly easy to get to, in Lelystad has closed permanently, though there is still some stuff about inpoldering in the new museum on the same site, which is now part of Batavialand.
https://www.batavialand.nl/en/museum

The major dike - the Afsluitdijk, is not worth visiting at the moment as they are raising it and it is generally a mess, and running over time due to a stupid miscalculation.

If OP has a car they could head for the Flevopolder and drive along the Oostvaardersdijk to the Houtribdijk and back down to Amsterdam from Enkhuizen. The lake, the Markermeer, that route encloses was going to be poldered but it was decided to not to do it.
Old May 21st, 2022, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by borntraveler
Will be in Amsterdam for 3 days in September. I would like to take a day trip with guide to see how the water
is controlled. Delta Waterworks seems too far, and am really interested in the polders and dikes.
Would Zaanse Schans be a good place? I thought I would contact the tourist board for a local guide.
Thaks
I think Kinderdijk would suit you. It's the only full Windmill array we have, it has an info centre that explains why it is there and what it does in maintaining the water level in the polder. NB even today those mills are used for pumping to supplement the electrical pumping station at Kinderdijk. The nice thing about Kinderdijk is that if you take a walk along the "Molengang", you can immediately see how the polder works. But Kinderdijk also does fantastic guided tours, on foot or by boat.

To get there: Intercity Direct to R'dam Central from Amsterdam: 40 minutes. In Rotterdam, get to the Erasmusbrug stop of the waterbus service. (#23 and #25 trams from CS, or Metro stop Leuvehaven and a short walk) You're in luck because there's a direct waterbus to Kinderdijk from Rotterdam May - October. The trip to Kinderdijk along the Meuse and the Noord also tells you a lot about "Big River" Netherlands.
Old May 21st, 2022, 01:57 AM

I did think about Kinderdijk as well. Meant to mention it but forgot.
Pity there isn't anything on modern methods anywhere, even though the principal remains the same. The "supergun" Nieuwland museum which has now been incorporated into Batavialand was always interesting and explained things well. I guess it just didn't attract the visitor numbers.
Old May 21st, 2022, 02:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Kinderdijk, silly me, I was there 3 years ago.
Old May 22nd, 2022, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by hetismij2
I did think about Kinderdijk as well. Meant to mention it but forgot.
Pity there isn't anything on modern methods anywhere, even though the principal remains the same. The "supergun" Nieuwland museum which has now been incorporated into Batavialand was always interesting and explained things well. I guess it just didn't attract the visitor numbers.
For that, the exhibition they have at the Keringhuis at Maeslantkering is very good. Unfortunately, Maeslantkering is unreachable by public transport.