Paris recommendations on areas to stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2022, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The two of us with our 8 year old kid Will be in Paris for 4 nights and 5 days in first week of June. Need recommendations on hotels or apartments & areas to stay.
We stayed in an apartment in St. Germain 10 years back - few steps away from Cafe De Flore and loved it. We liked being able to stand in the balcony and watch/hear people. Get down and look at boutiques, and get a fresh baked dessert right on Rue Du Dragon/St. Germain. Walk to Cafe de Fleur or Les Du Maggots.
tAre there other areas like St. Germain we should try to explore, especially with a little one. Also much so because availability is a challenge, and need to know post-covid, what is a good area to land in (maybe shops out of business etc).

Old May 19th, 2022, 08:45 PM

Popular tourist areas are: St Germain, Latin Quarter, and the Marais. You will need to book a hotel for 3. Any suggestion would depend upon your budget window in euros.

The apartment landscape has changed significantly over the last few years, during which time, the enforcement of short term rental laws has greatly reduced the number of available apartments. Only consider apartments clearly displaying a 13 digit, city required, registration number in its listing.
Old May 19th, 2022, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot Sarastro . I was able to book an apartment at this location in St. Germain.

Rue Lobineau, Paris.

Any feedback on location, safety, nice bakeries or shops nearby if any.

Last edited by rmulchandani; May 19th, 2022 at 09:37 PM.
Old May 20th, 2022, 06:03 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
We have been in that area many, many times. Restaurants too many to begin to name BUT one of our favorites just on the other side of St. Germain in the St. Andres des Arts passage is La Jacobine.
https://www.tasteatlas.com/lajacobine

Is it touristy and busy? Yes, but oh the food! We stopped talking and just ate and smiled.

Sarastro (above) will be able to give you some great choices…Hi Sarastro, enjoyed meeting you.
Old May 20th, 2022, 06:16 AM

Just noticed you have an 8 yr. old with you. We took both our granddaughters when they were 13 (separate trips) to one of our favorites. All kids love pasta so Marco Polo on Rue de Conde was one of their favorites.
Just sayin!
https://foursquare.com/v/marco-polo/...64a52048fd32e3
Old May 20th, 2022, 11:49 AM

I think you found a great spot. We stayed a few blocks away and loved the area. It felt safe with lots of shops and restaurants and you're also close to metro stops. You are also nearby the Luxembourg Gardens which is one of my favorite places to stroll and lots of families enjoy it, too. Have a wonderful trip!
Old May 20th, 2022, 04:26 PM

Just wanted to add with the others that it's a good location. When we lived in the neighborhood our favorite "pizza street" was nearby on rue des Canettes. Pizza Positano is good and so is Chez Bartolo. And there may even be others I am forgetting.

It is a safe area-no worries there. There is a Boulangerie Poilâne nearby which is one of our favorites. It is kind of a "chain now" but still very good.

Also just an FYI, every year there is an official best baguette in France awarded called the grand prix de la baguette de tradition française and the baker who wins it is awarded 4000 euros and is given a contract to supply the presidential Elysee Palace with baguettes for a year. The winner was just announced last week for 2022 and is named Damien Dedun in the 15th.

Here is a list of the top ten winners this year for any other interested foodies One year I swear I am going to visit every one!

1 – Damien Dedun « Boulangerie-Pâtisserie Frédéric Comyn » – 88, rue Cambronne (15e)
2 – Khemoussi Mansour « Aux Délices de Glacière » – 90, boulevard Auguste Blanqui (13e)
3 – Tsuchun Chang « La Parisienne Saint-Domnique » – 85, rue Saint-Dominique (7e)
4 – Filipe Lourenço Carpinteiro « Maison Lohezic » – 143, rue de Courcelles (17e)
5 – Youssef Mnakri « Boulangerie Tembely » – 33, rue Myrha (18e)
6 – Linlong Sang « Boulangerie L’Abeille » – 235, rue de Bercy (12e)
7 – Thierry Guyot « Boulangerie Guyot » – 28, rue Monge (5e)
8 – Renaud Lefrançois « Magali Charonne » – 135, rue de Charonne (11e)
9 – Louis Blavette – « Les Frères Blavette » – 69, rue Daguerre (14e)
10 – Montassar Taouai – « La Boulange » – 69, boulevard Barbès (18e)
Old May 21st, 2022, 05:54 AM

Greetings to all; in reference to rue Lobineau, the location is reliably safe. Nearby restaurants I strongly recommend, and there are a lot of tourist class restaurants in this area (those with microwaves and not chefs):

Pastavino - my favorite hidden restaurant, very casual.
Evi Evan Bistro - amazing Greek from a well known local caterer.
la Jacobine - previously mentioned, simple, touristy, but the chef is very good.
Le Bon Saint Pourçain - reservations required about a week in advance, maybe more. Probably the best restaurant in the area.
Armani Ristorante - not the café next door, the restaurant which has 1 Michelin star. Dine on the mezzanine above the suits.

There are several very noteworthy bakeries near this location. Ask not for a baguette, ask for a tradition (or une tradi), now around 1.30€:

Boulangerie le Parisien - winner of the best baguette in France a couple of years ago. This location is on the corner of rue de Vaugirard and rue Madame.

Top Baguette - This is the name on google maps, but this boulangerie has no official name to my knowledge. On the corner of rue de Rennes and rue de Mézierès. Everything here is amazing.

Old May 21st, 2022, 08:05 AM

Some people here seem to think that the only point of interest in Paris is to eat and yet the OP did not at all mention dining as a priority.

I would try to please the child a little bit and stay in the 19th arrondissement with the megnificent Parc des Buttes Chaumont, the Parc de la Villette and the Bassin de la Villette. But that's just me.
Old May 21st, 2022, 08:28 AM

Sorry to interrupt with a question about a different area.
Over the years I have stayed in various parts of the city….
This trip ( in 2 weeks ) I booked a hotel in the 15th .( Bl. Pasteur)
When on my own, I often prefer to have late dinner not too far from the hotel (and hopefully outside).
Although the food is not my main focus, I would appreciate any suggestions.

Last edited by danon; May 21st, 2022 at 08:33 AM.
Old May 22nd, 2022, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by kerouac
Some people here seem to think that the only point of interest in Paris is to eat and yet the OP did not at all mention dining as a priority.
Well the OP did ask about bakeries, but I think a few of us assumed that pasta and pizza might also be of special interest to a family with a younger child since those seem to be favorites of most children.