Downtown SLC questions?

Old May 18th, 2022, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Downtown SLC questions?

Never been to Salt Lake City other than to change planes so need a little info/advice. I fly in Friday night and fly home early Sunday morning. My flight schedule was changed so now I don't arrive til about 9:30 PM. Staying at the Holiday Inn Express Downtown - is there any place nearby that would still be serving (either full on dinner or decent pub food) at 10 or 10:30 PM? Saturday evening is fully scheduled from about 4:30PM, so I'll have until 3:30-ish to explore a bit and have lunch downtown.

Since my time is so limited what are some suggestions for both something(s) to see/do and a nice restaurant for lunch . . . almost any sort of cuisine / budget.

I was planning to taking the Green line when my flight was landing @ 6PM but now landing at 9:30 - is the walk from Gallivan Plaza station OK after 10?? Or should I just take a cab in from SLC?

Thanks for any help/ideas
Old May 18th, 2022, 06:52 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
There are 3 24 hour Denny's in SLC. The one closest to the airport is at 1701 West North Temple. Taxi, Uber/Lyft are probably your safest bet on getting to your hotel. In the daytime you can use Traxx.
Old May 18th, 2022, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take an uber at that time of night. Do NOT eat at any place on North Temple--other than the Red Iguana!!!! You should be able to get food at Red Rocks Brewing or Squatters Brewing downtown--both within walking distance. Saturday--go to see: the Natural History Museum, Red Butte Gardens, and/or the Museum of Fine Arts. These are all up by the University. You can take Trax and walk a ways or just Uber. These sites are all walkable from each other. You just need to uber from down town. For lunch--the Fine Arts Museum has a nice cafe.
Old May 19th, 2022, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips.

Re late dinner Friday, I checked and Red Rocks Brewing looks a place I'd like but it seems to close too early -- but Squatters looks like a good option. A friend mentioned Lake Effect which is right next door to the hotel, but it looks like primarily a music venue.
Old May 20th, 2022, 07:17 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by janisj
Thanks for the tips.

Re late dinner Friday, I checked and Red Rocks Brewing looks a place I'd like but it seems to close too early -- but Squatters looks like a good option. A friend mentioned Lake Effect which is right next door to the hotel, but it looks like primarily a music venue.
There is a Sqatters location in Terminal A inside the airport. They are open until midnight. Then you could get the taxi/Uber straight to your hotel.
Old May 20th, 2022, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, good to know. I'd like eat in town but the way air travel is going these days my flight may very well be delayed so eating at SLC is my Plan B (or even picking up something to go at the airport since I'll have a fridge and microwave at the hotel)
Old May 20th, 2022, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Within SLC, you could see the Planetarium--interesting exhibits and movies, if you like shopping, there is the City Creek Center. Another fun shopping neighborhood is 9th and 9th. (you could uber there--ask to be dropped off at the Tower theater--and walk along 900 South. Some really fun boutiques--Hip and Humble is great) If you want to see a really pretty church--visit the Cathedral of the Madeleine. As a history/nature/art nerd--I like the places I recommended previously.