Just back from Paris - COVID test

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2022, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We returned last night from CDG and thought I'd share that we all took at-home COVID tests in our suitcases to Paris so when we left we'd be able to take the tests in our hotel rooms. I think it would have been very easy to have been tested at a pharmacy in Paris, but we did that route in Portugal in December (the 1-day law changed DURING our trip) and didn't enjoy spending our last full day dealing with that in person.

Our hotel had good wifi and we all have iPhones and connectivity was not a problem. However, not all tests are staffed around the clock and that is an important factor if you want to get your testing finished on the morning of the day before you leave. I took the Reliant brand test and after trying to get it done that morning and not getting a person online, read the small print that said they were staffed only beginning at 9 a.m. Eastern United States time. So much for getting it over with and heading out for a full day of activities. We had to return to the hotel that afternoon to try again; this time we succeeded, but our friends had brought the Binax brand and they were able to complete their tests that morning.

Also, many people think you cannot take the test more than 24 hours before your departure time, but of course the requirement is that the test be taken the DAY before you leave so your flight time the next day doesn't matter.

I'll add that we got to CDG three hours before our flight left and we needed every bit of that. Airport was full, security lines were full and there wasn't much staff. It was a slow process.
Old May 16th, 2022, 02:04 PM

I didn't realize you could use your own home tests. Do you mind explaining how that works? Are you monitored somehow by using your phone when you test?
Old May 16th, 2022, 09:50 PM

As the testing requirement originates from the US, any CDC approved test should be accepted. However, for 20€ to 25€, you can test at almost any pharmacy in Paris with results in minutes.

Family members have recently reported waits of 90 minutes at passport control/security at 2A (CDG). Transatlantic passengers should plan on being at the airport no less than 3 hours before scheduled departure.
Old May 17th, 2022, 05:59 AM

Azova does telehealth for covid test monitoring and can provide the documentation for flight travel. It's quick, cheap, and convenient. The site says which home test kits you can use - it's only certain ones. I do not know their hours of operation, but I have used this successfully.

https://azova.com/
Old May 17th, 2022, 06:22 AM

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! We used the Abbott Binax test from our hotel room in Portugal last month, and had no problems with timing (did so at about 10:00am Portugal time).

Nite that if you use the Binax test, it must be proctored - we bought ours before leaving from eMed. Here is the website. https://www.emed.com/products/covid-...iAAEgKcRvD_BwE
Old May 17th, 2022, 06:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A cautionary tale:

A young couple we know returned last Thursday from their honeymoon. Because of a family member's fragile health, they are very diligent about masks, hand-washing, etc. (He's an EMT.)
They planned an almost entirely outdoor trip (no museums, weather nice enough to always eat outside, etc.), and this was their first trip anywhere in 2.5 years. They took two tests before the flight home, 72 hours and 24 hours before departure, and all results were negative. They got tested the day after they landed, and these results were positive for both of them.

If your circle includes any health-compromised people, get another test after your return flight before you spend time with them.
Old May 17th, 2022, 07:37 AM

This is very helpful information, thank you!
Old May 17th, 2022, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jean
If your circle includes any health-compromised people, get another test after your return flight before you spend time with them.
My circle doesn’t include health compromised people but I always test a day or two after getting home & before seeing friends/family. I’d have thought that was a bit obvious after having been in an airport, aircraft, museums or wherever that you don’t want to bring a virus to anyone if you caught it on the way home.
Old May 17th, 2022, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by KTtravel
I didn't realize you could use your own home tests. Do you mind explaining how that works? Are you monitored somehow by using your phone when you test?
The CDC guidelines are very clear on the specifications for self test:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...hor_1635127081

It does not have to be a home test brought over from the US. For instance, you can buy tests in the U.K. for home use that are monitored in the way that is required by the US. France probably doesn’t have anything like this judging by lack of knowledge on the subject by locals.

This is an example available in the U.K.

https://collinsonselftest.com/produc...gen-supervised

Old May 17th, 2022, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by balthy
France probably doesn’t have anything like this judging by lack of knowledge on the subject by locals.
You are probably correct. With inexpensive Antigen tests available nearly everywhere, why bother purchasing home tests?
Old May 18th, 2022, 04:57 AM

I went in and out of CdG in April. Yes it was busy and crowded; yes it was like that before Covid. Lots of staff on hand to herd the cats. I tested at the airport pharmacy, an annoying distraction, so was happy I had arrived with sufficient time. BUT the cost was approximately twice what it would have been in central Paris. It's worth noting that the test was required to fly into the US, and not into France.
Old May 18th, 2022, 07:48 AM

We returned on May 8th from Paris.
Firstly, Paris was packed - almost, but not quite, as crowded a my pre-covid visits. We were only on the cusp of high season, I can only imagine it will be getting more and more crowded, so what my experience was will likely change. We stayed in the Odeon theatre area and walked by a pharmacy everyday that pitched a tent outside for covid tests. It was always empty. We tested on the Saturday before our flight and there were about 3 people lined up inside before me signing up for the test (have a picture ID with you - doesn't need to be a passport). It was incredibly easy and didn't take up much time at all.
We brought a few free covid tests with us (unproctered) just to test ourselves occasionally to be aware of our status but always planned on an official test in Paris before our flight (luckily all were negative). The cost of the pharmacy test was 20 euros each.
Other than on buses/trains/metros we say very, very little mask wearing. We masked up in heavily crowded areas both indoors and outdoors but really had the impression from the locals we encountered that covid was no longer a big deal (my very limited impression only, of course).
For us CDG wasn't especially busy, kind of busy as I usually remember it. However, I agree it makes sense to arrive 3 hours prior to an international flight.