Search

Maine in May

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2022, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maine in May

I'm planning a three day trip to Maine Monday-Wed May 23-25. I go to Maine frequently but always in the fall and haven't been there in spring in decades. So wondering how crowded I could expect it to be and if things (like lobster shacks) will be open yet. From what I've read I can't tell if things won't even be open for the season yet (this is a week before Memorial Day) or if they will already be jam packed.
Will most likely stop in Kennebunkport, Old Orchard Beach, Harpswell, Boothbay Harbor, Rockland and Camden. Mostly we just want to look at boats and water and eat seafood.
Old May 13th, 2022, 03:02 PM
J62

I just checked my fav BBH lobster shack Shannons Unshelled. They are open for the season.
My go-to Oyster shack, Shuck Station in Damariscotta says they expect to open mid May.

So I would expect that by the time you are there, there will be plenty open.

Old May 13th, 2022, 03:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The main difference from fall and spring will be mosquitoes and flies. Yuck. Cape Pier Chowder House in Kennebunkport has opened. Harpswell and Boothbay will be very quiet. Camden/Rockland has lots of year-round dining options. Lots of places are not open yet though because they cannot find help until the highschool and college kids are off for the summer. Also Maine is in the middle of pretty much their worst covid outbreak yet, so don't go if you're not double vaxxed and boosted.
Lori's in Liberty, one of the best places to get a decently-priced lobster roll, posted a "special" of $32 with fries for tonight. Yikes.

Last edited by clarkgriswold; May 13th, 2022 at 03:16 PM.
Old May 13th, 2022, 11:01 PM

A local friend's favorite seafood shack in Wells is Fisherman"s Catch. Now open every day except wednesdays. https://www.fishermanscatchwells.com/ I usually check my list of favorites to see when they are open. Claws in Rockland opens Wednesday May 25. We take picnic supplies and bag chairs so we can have a lunch at some greatplaces like the top of Mt Battie in Camden. There's a good seafood place on rt 1 just north of Brunswick that is probably open but i forget the name to check. McLoon's doesn't open intil May 28.

we tend to miss Rockport but that has a nice little harbor for boat watching. We lucked out to watch kids having sailing lessons in those little sailboats.
you'll find something open but it might not be the summer favorites until summer help is available and water lines don't freeze.
Old May 14th, 2022, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like enough will be open but won't be super crowded yet. I'd forgotten about the blacks flies! That brought back some very unpleasant memories from a long time ago - but that was a day at the beach and this trip will be more about wandering around harbors than sitting on a beach. I guess we should bring some insect repellent. As for the Covid outbreak - Maine is currently about the same as Massachusetts where I live. And in fact we decided on this trip over two others I was considering because I thought it would be safest - no public transportation, not stopping in cities , take out dining.
Old May 16th, 2022, 12:22 AM

My Maine friend who lives in Bar Harbor claims there isn't any black flies there and she goes hiking with her daughter. Black flies in NH are ferocious right now but only in grassy or forested areas. You might be fine in harbor areas. Nice walk in Rockland.
Old May 16th, 2022, 03:14 PM

In Rockland there is a great Japanese restaurant with excellent sushi including many local items.
Suzuki. It looks like now it’s open Wednesday-Saturday dinner.
Old May 21st, 2022, 04:26 AM

We always go to Graffam Bros Seafood Shack in Rockport. If the shack isn't open yet you can eat across the road in the combination seafood market and restaurant.