Bermuda Hotels for special trip

Old May 12th, 2022, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bermuda Hotels for special trip

Going to Bermuda in July for 60th birthday trip, just the 2 of us, no kids. We are looking for very nice hotel experience, nice beach. Understand that there are varying locales, but have never been to the island. I searched forum, no recent (in years) comments applicable. First substantial trip back to Caribbean since Nevis, where we got to see a really amazing Ferrari collection (thanks Mr. B).

Looking for perspective on Rosewood, Hamilton Princess, Loren, Azura, St. Regis. We are there 4 days, enjoy going out to nice restaurants, some historical experiences, and a bit of exploring. A couple of the hotels seem remote- St. Regis. and the Hamilton Princess appears to not be on a beach (but very available to town of Hamilton; website says shuttle to beach).

Thanks for info.

Al
Old May 12th, 2022, 02:56 PM

Bermuda is not in the Caribbean, nowhere near it. Its in the Atlantic. Hamilton Princess is in Hamilton, not an ideal location even with a shuttle to the beach. With only 4 days I would not bother with shuttles to beaches when there are hotels right on gorgeous beaches.

The best & most famous beaches are on the south coast, Elbow Beach, Horseshoe Bay, Jobsons Cove, Warwick Long Bay etc. As you mentioned, St Regis is remote but it is near St Georges which is a very charming town, very historical. its close to Tobacco Bay which is a very nice beach to visit. I've been to the Rosewood to look but not stayed, it is remote as well but a beautiful exclusive property. I don't think you can go wrong with any of your choices, its a matter of location and where you prefer to be. Loren and Azure are a bit more central, esp the latter and probably where I prefer to be but the more remote properties seem more upscale. But the island is small and the bus service very good esp along the south coast, taxis are available, you cannot rent a car on Bermuda as you probably already know.
Old May 12th, 2022, 03:03 PM

Check out Cambridge Beaches - good friends who were very familiar with the island recommended it to us. We really enjoyed our stay there when we visited the island for the second time 40 years after we honeymooned in Bermuda. Wonderful staff, very comfortable rooms and it’s on a very nice calm water beach.
Old Jul 13th, 2023, 04:53 AM

We stayed at Hamilton Princess a couple years ago for 4 nights. The shuttle back & forth to Elbow Beach was fine and ran often. I do not recall being annoyed because of the shuttle. The property is beautiful but as stated is not on the beach. There is however a large marina with huge and beautiful yachts. My husband and I enjoyed looking at all the boats. Since this hotel is in the downtown area, we could walk to shops and restaurants. Enjoy your stay in Bermuda. It is a very clean and beautiful island.
Old Jul 14th, 2023, 03:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
alfredo, if you haven't gone already, The Reefs Club is very nice in South Hampton. We are headed to Pompano Beach Club tomorrow, but we have a grandchild in our group and I know it is child friendly, probably more so than the Reefs.
Old Feb 13th, 2024, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Quick follow-up. The Loren is a very cool place, looks like a high-end home on the beach in Malibu. The pool is very nice, but really comes alive at night with the lighting. Crowds seem together on Friday and Saturday night, pretty chic vibe. The beach seems a little less reliable. When we were there in July 2022, there were a lot of jellyfish. Unpredictable occurrence, I am sure. The restaurant is nice, great view, especially if you can be out along the railing, overlooking the water.

We also stayed at Saint Regis January 2024 for my wife's birthday trip. Obviously, a bit different since January weather was 65 degrees, fairly windy a couple days, and some rain on 2 of 4 days. I had stopped by the resort in July 2022, and the beach experience in the summer looks ideal. It was a bit cold this time, but there is a nice hot tub in the pool overlooking the water.

Of note, the drive from the Saint Regis is about 40 minutes to get into downtown Hamilton if you are looking to go out for dinner. We canceled our dinner plans on 2 of the nights where we were scheduled to go into Hamilton, simply because it was a bit of a hassle. The Loren is about 15 minutes from Hamilton, making it much more convenient to go into town for dinner.

Different experience for the 2 places. We also checked out Azura. Beach is almost nonexistent. Pool does not really have a great view over the coastline. Location is pretty good. I stopped by the Rosewood. Maybe it is just me, but the inside reminded me of a nursing home. Very quiet, sedate, not much going on. Their beach is a golf cart ride away down the hill. Sits on a very beautiful Bay, but not particularly convenient. Also a fair bit more expensive than the already expensive Saint Regis and Loren.

We rented a car each time in Bermuda. The first time granted with Current- we rented a Twizy, which is an extremely small, front/back single wide electric car. My wife had to climb in the back each time, and man that is cramped! This time, we rented from Rugged Rentals. We rented a side-by-side, which Current also has in their Yoyo model. It is a bit more to rent, but a lot more tolerable to driver on the island. One point is that Rugged Rentals rents strictly on a 24-hour basis. Current will allow you to go over a few hours for an hourly fee that adds up quickly, but at least you have the option to go over for a short bit of time.