Status of Sri Lanka

Old May 10th, 2022, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Status of Sri Lanka

Hi all!
I'm supposed to travel to Sri Lanka from June 24th to July 13th. I am not taking a beach holiday but traveling the country to see temples, wildlife, tea plantations and do some hiking. My trip is super dependent upon public transportation: mostly bus and train but also taxi. Can anyone inform me of the status of the country right now--I can't find much in the news, only that there are still fuel, food and medicine shortages. Is it still possible to travel around the country?

Thank you for any advice you can give if you have traveled here recently or are traveling here!
Old May 11th, 2022, 05:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The situation is volatile, who knows what it will be like in a month? I wouldn't want to be there right now, have you read this?

https://www.washingtonpost.com//worl...ily-sri-lanka/
Old May 11th, 2022, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by XploringFootballFan
Hi all!
I'm supposed to travel to Sri Lanka from June 24th to July 13th. I am not taking a beach holiday but traveling the country to see temples, wildlife, tea plantations and do some hiking. My trip is super dependent upon public transportation: mostly bus and train but also taxi. Can anyone inform me of the status of the country right now--I can't find much in the news, only that there are still fuel, food and medicine shortages. Is it still possible to travel around the country?

Thank you for any advice you can give if you have traveled here recently or are traveling here!
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html

There is a US state dept. advisory as above. I would skip it for now and consider other options.
Old May 12th, 2022, 10:47 PM
Original Poster

Ok, thank you thursdaysd. I had not seen the new article but have tried to stay up with the travel advisories from the USA. Just wondering if there was anyone on the ground in Sri Lanka that could give a firsthand account. Thank you for the info, I appreciate it!
Old May 12th, 2022, 10:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you jacketwatch for the update It's appreciated!
Old May 13th, 2022, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by XploringFootballFan
Thank you jacketwatch for the update It's appreciated!
You are welcome.

Good luck with your plans.

Have you considered Malaysia? They do have tea plantations and temples. its quite friendly on the USD though I do not know where you are coming from and you are very close to Singapore which is very cool (not the weather. Always hot ).

Near Kuala Lumpur is a Hindu temple in a cave which is a must see.

https://www.travelawaits.com/2484474...aves-malaysia/

Last edited by jacketwatch; May 13th, 2022 at 05:02 AM.
Old May 15th, 2022, 01:16 AM

Some friends returned from Sri Lanka a couple of weeks ago after visiting family over the easter break. It was before the more recent riots and civil unrest. They said things are pretty dire for locals in terms of shortages etc. but didn’t experience too many issues whilst there. The UK Foreign Office updated its website yesterday to advise against all be essential travel to SL. They are usually more restrained when it comes to issuing warnings than their US counterparts so personally I would heed that warning, not least because it invalidates 99% of travel insurance cover.

That said, I have been in a number of countries in similar situations over the years and IME in many places you would not notice anything was going on. Though if you do run into riots , demos etc. it can be pretty scary. If you did go, I would avoid big cities like Colombo, Galle and Kandy etc. When we were there a few years ago, travelling round by public transport was challenging. I can think the current situation will make it any easier.
Old May 19th, 2022, 08:25 AM

Just saw this on my Reuters newsfeed https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-p...ys-2022-05-18/. Debt default and no $$ to pay for petrol. Dire straits indeed. Got to feel for the people of Sri Lanka but given teh way the world is going, I doubt they will be the last country to end up in this position...
Old May 26th, 2022, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by crellston
Just saw this on my Reuters newsfeed https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-p...ys-2022-05-18/. Debt default and no $$ to pay for petrol. Dire straits indeed. Got to feel for the people of Sri Lanka but given teh way the world is going, I doubt they will be the last country to end up in this position...
Thank you for posting this. I did not know things were this bad and will follow.
So sad for Sri Lankans. I did read that some are leaving for India which I assume means they have family there who can help them.
Old May 26th, 2022, 07:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Tamils in the north may well have family ties in India, the Sinhalese, not so much.
Old Sep 16th, 2022, 01:58 PM

I see that this thread hasn't been replied to in 4 months.

Can anyone update us as to how the present situation in Sri Lanka is ?
Old Sep 12th, 2023, 05:23 AM

https://www.usip.org/publications/20...isis-continues
Old Sep 13th, 2023, 03:03 PM

I have a friend who just booked a February vacation to Sri Lanka. The friend has done a lot of work on the Subcontinent, is very familiar with the situation, and believes it's safe to travel for now. Yes, that could change.
Old Sep 18th, 2023, 08:08 AM

I have just been chatting with a Sri Lankan/American friend who's parents live in Sri Lanka. She just returned and said things were fine for tourists to visit. Indeed, now would be great time as prices are really cheap. Having just watched a documentary about the Tea Trail hotels, may even pay SL a return visit ourselves!