Boise to Portland

Old May 10th, 2022, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boise to Portland

Hi all! We are traveling from Boise after a week in Joseph Oregon. Want advice as to best route and places to stay. We have one week for Idaho and want to spend most time in the Sawtooth mountain are. We plan on Starting in Boise and going Ketchum area to Stanley. It is impossible to find lodging in Stanley so would appreciate any help in neighboring areas. Two people and dog traveling, mostly interested in Hiking. TIA
Old May 10th, 2022, 05:57 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you renting a car someplace? It is hard to fly with a dog. What month is this? If you are flying, consider flying to Spokane and staying in Coeur d' Alene. Spokane is within a days drive of Seattle, Portland, Joseph, Ketchum, Stanley and Boise. My preferred route for driving from Boise to Portland is I-84. Coeur d' Alene is beautiful when compared with Boise. Good luck with finding any lodging that will allow a dog in the room.
Old May 10th, 2022, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

I have a car and will be picking up my sister in BOise. we will then do a loop. Actually dog friendly rooms are common. We may use Ketchum as a base as Stanley has no lodging available.
Old May 17th, 2022, 09:31 AM

Geez, hard to find two more "remote-to-one-another" spots a mere 137 miles apart.

Just driving from Boise to Stanley is awkward, but once you get to the Sawtooths, it is fun to constantly remind yourself WHY they call them The Sawtooth Mountains.

Stanley itself is adorable... and often "the coldest spot in the lower 48" at various points during a year.

Nature is all around. Ketchum should be near enough for you, and the glorious expense of Sun Valley will be fun to... window shop.

In fact, Sun Valley has much more (human) life than does Stanley... so you might actually be doing yourself a favor.

You'll give the Stanley area its just due, nature-wise, and have many more options for (paying out the wazzu) for meals and such while in the Sun Valley area.

I believe you'll do fine on your own merely by researching various hiking targets... and hopefully this will not all be in the dead of summer heat.

Old May 22nd, 2022, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

update

Thank you Northwest Male!!!! I think we will home base in Ketchum. Do you recommend staying in Mcall? We are thinking 1 night Boise, 2-3 nights Ketchum, 1 night Mcall.
Old May 23rd, 2022, 04:02 PM

We stopped in McCall one year as a more interesting way to break up our drive between Ketchum and Joseph. We love the Ketchum/Stanley area and usually stay at Redfish Lake Lodge but they book up very early and aren't dog friendly. We've also stayed in Ketchum a few times and that works fine as a base too if you can't find lodging closer to Stanley. We liked McCall but wouldn't go out of our way to return. IMO the scenery and hiking are better in the Sawtooths and the Wallowas. Nothing wrong with McCall and it was a pleasant way to break up our drive but it didn't have the same wow factor. Are you doing Joseph-Boise-Ketchum-McCall-Boise-Portland in that order and what month?

Last edited by Patty; May 23rd, 2022 at 04:23 PM.
Old May 23rd, 2022, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Yes that is the plan! We have 1 night Boise, 3 nights Ketchum and 2 nights McCall! I want the wow factor. You would skip mcall? Just stay in Ketchum longer?
Old May 23rd, 2022, 05:15 PM

Yes I'd choose to stay in Ketchum longer.