Kentucky Bourbon Trail

Old May 4th, 2022, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kentucky Bourbon Trail

My husband is a big bourbon enthusiast. A milestone birthday is coming up and instead of throwing a party I want to take him on The Bourbon Trail. I知 thinking of a 3 or 4 night trip. I知 open to suggestions of where to stay, places to visit, etc. It must include the Buffalo Trace Distillary. I壇 love to see a day by day itinerary if any of you have one.

Thanks!
Old May 4th, 2022, 10:34 AM
J62

maybe our very own fodorite, aka kybourbon, will chime in....
Old May 4th, 2022, 01:50 PM

Hi pgoody, this is dated, pre-covid so double check hours, but I loved:

For Art, the Speed Museum
For Horses, Churchill Downs Museum
For Baseball, Louisville Slugger Museum
For Food, Hot Brown at the Brown Hotel

Out of town, Berea, Shakertown, My Old Kentucky Home.

What else, kybourbon?!
Old May 5th, 2022, 06:27 AM

An absolutely delightful place to stay. Owners are engaged and helpful.

https://bourbonmanor.com/?utm_source...utm_medium=GMB
Old May 5th, 2022, 07:10 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
You might want to have a look at this fairly extensive trip report filed recently on Flyertalk.

Better Make it a Double: Bachelor Party on the Kentucky Bourbon Trail - FlyerTalk Forums
Old May 5th, 2022, 01:13 PM

My son got married at Buffalo Trace Distillery about six years ago, great historic place with wide variety of bourbons and nice tour. I'm not a bourbon guy, but we were in Frankfort for a few days and visited the close by Woodford Reserve and Jim Beam places. Both a nice visit, but not like Buffalo Trace. My one recommendation is to stay off of Route 64 and drive the back roads to see some of the horse farms in the area, some are pretty amazing.
Old May 5th, 2022, 08:01 PM

Wow! DH and I are bourbon folks. Why have i not thought of this!!! Thank you so much for posting. Looking forward to replies.
Old May 6th, 2022, 10:53 AM

I have to expand on the "for horses" comment, especially because Buffalo Trace Distillery is between Lexington and Louisville,

Lexington is in horse country:
Keeneland is one of the best thoroughbred racecourses in the USA (def top 5) The fall meet is Oct 8-30 most days. They have tours on most days from now until about Thanksgiving. There are a few multi-day sales/auction events each year - that can be big money so maybe not open to public.
Kentucky Horse Park is nearby. There is another farm for retired horses nearby. at least one.
There are several famous breeding farms around Lexington and I think some have tours. pretty country

Louisville has Churchill Downs. The Spring Meet just started and ends July 4. Then from mid-Sept for a few weeks. I assume they have tours
Old May 8th, 2022, 12:20 PM

Kentucky Bourbon Trail – Where the Spirit Leads You

See the trip planners at the link above.

May I suggest a visit to Maker's Mark-it is a beautiful little distillery in Loretto KY-not far from Bardstown where you will find Heaven Hill and others. Bardstown would make a nice home base for your travels. I recommend Bardstown Brewing Company for dining.

Jim Beam is not that far away in Clearmont, KY and has a great new visitors center where tours begin.

Buffalo Trace is in Frankfort which is not that far away. Lexington might be a place for home base. Every place I have mentioned is within a 1.5 hour drive.

If you would like to see bourbon barrels being made, look into Bourbon Cooperage in Lebanon. They have tours.

Last edited by charsuzan; May 8th, 2022 at 12:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old May 8th, 2022, 01:39 PM

I agree with charsuzan re: Bardstown as home base.

Maker's Mark is my favorite tour. Pretty fun to do a tasting and you can dip your own bottle in the red wax. Nice food options there and good shop.
Woodford Reserve also offers a nice tour and delicious bourbons.

There is actually also a Bourbon Trail - Craft tours with smaller bourbon distilleries.

Keeneland race track in Lexington is one of my favorite places and you can't go wrong with a visit during their spring (Aprilish) or fall (Octoberish) meets. Tailgating style is fun for people watching and then checking out the horses, placing a wager, getting a drink, and looking for a place to watch the action and repeat. First race is usually around 1:15 and goes till close to 6. You can either dress up (especially popular on opening weekend) or you'll see plenty of other people dressed down if you'd prefer.

The Kentucky castle in Versailles is close to Keeneland and a special place to stay.

Agree with the hot brown at the Brown Hotel.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!
Old May 9th, 2022, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. Have any of you been on the Bourbon Dinner Train out of Bardstown?
Old May 10th, 2022, 04:24 PM

No help on the Bourbon Train, pgoody, but please share everything about your trip to this wonderful area.
Old May 15th, 2022, 10:14 AM

pgoody, I have not done the Bourbon Dinner Train but know folks who have and really enjoyed it. I plan to do it soon.