Search

This seems bad. No ferry across the Channel that takes foot passengers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2022, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This seems bad. No ferry across the Channel that takes foot passengers

Hello,

Our family of four was scheduled to take a P&O ferry across the Channel on the 9th of May. However, because of the strike, P&O cancelled our reservation. Our only other option is to take a DFDS ferry across, but they don't allow foot passengers. I booked us as having a bicycle, but I'm reading if we don't show up with bikes then we won't be allowed on. Is this true? If so, does that means there's no way to get across for foot passngers?

Thank you for your help,

Chris
Old Apr 30th, 2022, 09:18 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
No you can't travel Dover to Calais -- but there is Brittany Ferries. So you can travel from Plymouth to Caen, St Malo and (I think) Cherbourg)
Old Apr 30th, 2022, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Wow, those are so far from Dover. We're going to be staying in Kent, so those other options aren't feasible for us. I'm very surprised there aren't more options for getting across.

It also looks like I can't take the Eurotunnnel as a foot passenger. Is our only option to travel all the way back to London to take the Eurostar?

Last edited by Tagggart; Apr 30th, 2022 at 10:29 AM.
Old Apr 30th, 2022, 10:41 AM

Where exactly are you trying to get to in France? Depending on ultimate destination - options could include Plymouth to France by ferry, or Eurostar train from London (Ashford is not available), or you could fly from LGW to Jersey and take a ferry from there, or you could fly from LHR to lots of places, or you could fly from LCY to Quimper . . . but you can't get from Dover to France.

(and even without the strike I would be wary of that route because of the P&O ferry mess)
Old Apr 30th, 2022, 10:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Newhaven to Dieppe any use?
Old Apr 30th, 2022, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

I'm staying in Tenterden, UK then had planned to take ferry across and then go to Amiens for one night. Then, we're on to Paris. I suppose we could skip Amiens and go straight to Paris if there's no better option. Seems like a shame to miss the countryside.

I will have a rental car that I picked up from London (which I can't return in Calais). If I'm going to take the Eurostar from St. Pancreas, any suggestion where I should return the rental car? Should I just drop it off a train station, take that train into St. Pancreas, and switch to the Eurostar?

Last edited by Tagggart; Apr 30th, 2022 at 10:59 AM.
Old Apr 30th, 2022, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
Newhaven to Dieppe any use?
I thought about, but AFAIK DFDS has the same policy on that route -- no foot passengers (bike is OK)
Old Apr 30th, 2022, 10:59 AM

. . . Meant to add, If you are planning on taking the Eurostar, book ASAP because it is booking up even faster than normal due to the P&O mess.
Old Apr 30th, 2022, 11:26 AM

It looks like you can book a car ferry trip on DFDS. Have you considered keeping your car and dropping it off outside of Paris? You might want to contact your car rental company to see what the drop off options are.

We dropped off a car in Paris on one visit and it really wasn't too difficult to do.

You could also drop the car off at a Paris airport, if you don't want to drive into Paris. The Beauvais airport is just south of Amiens and it looks like they have shuttles to the center of Paris. You could visit Amiens and then drop the car off the next day.

Last edited by KTtravel; Apr 30th, 2022 at 11:33 AM.
Old Apr 30th, 2022, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Driving an English car in France when I'm from the states seems a bit dangerous. What does anyone else think? Edited to add that returning in France is not an option for my rental car, so can't do that.
Old Apr 30th, 2022, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Seems like the best bet is to drop my rental car off in Ashford, take the train up to St. Pancreas, and then grab the Eurostar to Paris. Sounds good to everyone here?
Old Apr 30th, 2022, 12:19 PM

Have you tried calling DFDS to see if they are making any exceptions due to the P&O Ferry mess? It doesn't hurt to ask!

If that won't work, I think your Plan B makes sense.
Old Apr 30th, 2022, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by KTtravel
It looks like you can book a car ferry trip on DFDS. Have you considered keeping your car and dropping it off outside of Paris? You might want to contact your car rental company to see what the drop off options are.

We dropped off a car in Paris on one visit and it really wasn't too difficult to do.

You could also drop the car off at a Paris airport, if you don't want to drive into Paris. The Beauvais airport is just south of Amiens and it looks like they have shuttles to the center of Paris. You could visit Amiens and then drop the car off the next day.
Originally Posted by Tagggart
Driving an English car in France when I'm from the states seems a bit dangerous. What does anyone else think? Edited to add that returning in France is not an option for my rental car, so can't do that.
PLUS - the drop off fee for a UK (RHD) car in France is likely to be enormous

Seems like the best bet is to drop my rental car off in Ashford, take the train up to St. Pancreas, and then grab the Eurostar to Paris. Sounds good to everyone here?
That is the simplest for sure - but first do make sure there are Eurostar seats available for your date.
Old Apr 30th, 2022, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

ktravel I did call this morning but the offices are closed on Sundays. Glad I didn't have a reservation for tomorrow!
Old Apr 30th, 2022, 01:11 PM

Everything I've read on several sites (DFDS FAQs, TA, and 2 or 3 others) states DFDS does not allow foot passengers on any UK > France route. They do on routes to other countries. Now, they may have made a temporary change due to P&O's mess with the take over, firings, strike etc. So good luck -- but I'd book Eurostar before the cheapest seats sell out. You don't mention the ages of the children but unless the kids are little the cheapest fare for a family of 4 mid-day will be close to £130 per person. If the cheap seats are gone it could be twice that.
Old May 1st, 2022, 12:49 AM

Have you looked at buses? Look at https://www.eurolines.de/en/home/ or https://www.flixbus.co.uk/ for instance. Not as luxurious as the train but you can get one from Ashford.
Old May 1st, 2022, 05:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I would imagine that the foot passenger problem could possibly be linked to the migrant problem.
Old May 1st, 2022, 06:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
kerouac, you could be right, but migrants have been known to get into cars, under bus wheel arches etc, I suspect it is more about lack of capacity due to the P&O disaster and DFDS just chosing the service they want to offer after COVID.

I like the bus solution, if I had to do this I'd choose that.
Old May 1st, 2022, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by kerouac
I would imagine that the foot passenger problem could possibly be linked to the migrant problem.
DFDS don't have the facility to load foot passengers. Only P&O do, but since they sacked all their employees and put unapproved foreign crews on instead they can't sail due to maritime safety issues. Nothing to do with migrants.
Old Dec 6th, 2022, 06:20 PM

Why though ?

Hello,

Our family of four was scheduled to take a P&O ferry across the Channel on the 9th of May. However, because of the strike, P&O cancelled our reservation. Our only other option is to take a DFDS ferry across, but they don't allow foot passengers. I booked us as having a bicycle, but I'm reading if we don't show up with bikes then we won't be allowed on. Is this true? If so, does that means there's no way to get across for foot passngers?

Thank you for your help,

Chris

Why is it that a bicycle makes a difference ? Seems bizarre that they would accept a passenger with a bicycle but not one without.

In fact, I fired them a query today to see what would happen if one were to have their bike stolen prior to departure. Would they be prevented from travelling ?

Will let you guys know if they reply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -