Random Q- Peru, Costa Rica or Azores Islands

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2022, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I know this my might the most random question, we are a couple in our late 30s, love nature, wildlife, driving thru scenic roads, short/mild hiking, but no camping and have an unusual opportunity to take a 3wk vacation and wondering whether the Azores (+mainland Portugal) or Peru or Costa Rica should be our target in July.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Daniel
Old Apr 30th, 2022, 12:42 PM

Peru isn't the best country to self-drive, but I think you can find better weather in Peru in July than the other two options. It's pretty easy to get around by bus there.
Old May 1st, 2022, 01:20 AM

I just responded to tyoue question on the Europe forum -

"love nature, wildlife, driving thru scenic roads, short/mild hiking” Peru would be my choice. It has all of that and more in bucketloads. July is a perfect time to visit and three weeks is enough time to explore som of South America’s most iconic sights - Cusco, Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley the colonial city of Arequipa, Colca Canyon the Amazon Basin. Top and tail teh trip with a few nights in Lima. some info and photos of our travels in Peru on our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/category/peru/
Old May 1st, 2022, 11:08 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crellston
I just responded to tyoue question on the Europe forum -

"love nature, wildlife, driving thru scenic roads, short/mild hiking” Peru would be my choice. It has all of that and more in bucketloads. July is a perfect time to visit and three weeks is enough time to explore som of South America’s most iconic sights - Cusco, Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley the colonial city of Arequipa, Colca Canyon the Amazon Basin. Top and tail teh trip with a few nights in Lima. some info and photos of our travels in Peru on our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/category/peru/
Thanks, heard comments around driving in Peri that is not ideal, if that is the case would likely not travel there after all.
Old May 1st, 2022, 11:42 PM

True, renting a car and self driving in Peru is not to be recommended for a variety of reasons. However, the public transport infrastructure there is excellent and the best way to explore the country is vi the excellent bus and collectivo system. Where a private car is preferred, you can hire a car and driver very cheaply. I have driven all over teh world and certainly don’t miss driving in Peru.
Old May 2nd, 2022, 12:25 PM

I don't usually like to advise against countries, and I necessarily do just that when I advise in favor of a country in a proposed list. I've visited all three of the countries you mention (though my Costa Rica trip was way back in the 1980s, and my Portugal grip did not include the Azores), and I think any of the three would be great to visit.
But in recent years I've acquired a special affection for Peru, and without claiming it's "better" than the other two, I can say it would be my choice. I agree with the above comments -- you probably don't want to drive there, but there are some good bus companies: travel with Cruz del Sur wherever possible. The so-called "sacred valley" (Cusco-to-Machu Picchu) is great, but Peru is a huge country, and there's a lot more -- A LOT! -- to see there.
As for the other two:
Costa Rica certainly deserves tourists, A small, poor Central American country, it has nevertheless maintained a stable democratic government, and has done fine work in preserving its natural environment. And on my one visit so far to Portugal (2017), I found that it, too, is a great place to see. Though this may be a lot to infer from a two-week stay, I found it to be a friendly, laid-back country, with an abundance of the quaint, historic towns that I love to "hang out" in. And while I was personally interested in practicing my Portuguese, most tourists will be pleased to know that English seems to be spoken sufficiently for their needs.