"Europe" I can drive to (from the US)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2022, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can’t go back to Europe anytime soon so am looking to put together some road trips that will include some European feeling/looking places. I’ll be starting in New England but considering anywhere I can drive to. The most obvious is Quebec. But am also looking at trips farther afield and have on my list: New Orleans, San Antonio (the missions), California Missions, San Diego, Slovang, CA.

Looking for other suggestions. Thanks
Old Apr 20th, 2022, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

I can’t go back to Europe anytime soon so am looking to put together some road trips that will include some European feeling/looking places. I’ll be starting in New England but considering anywhere I can drive to. The most obvious is Quebec. But am also looking at trips farther afield and have on my list: New Orleans, San Antonio (the missions), California Missions, San Diego, Slovang, CA.

Looking for other suggestions. Thanks
Old Apr 20th, 2022, 05:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, certainly Montreal, which I prefer to Quebec. But I'm not sure what constitutes "European" to you. On the east coast I would consider Savannah, Charleston and Saint Augustine, perhaps with some of the smaller places, but you need to visit soon, before the summer sets in. And maybe Williamsburg, if you don't mind museum/touristy, although I haven't been there in ages.
Old Apr 20th, 2022, 05:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Not exactly European, but distinctive, and quasi-Mexican/Spanish, Santa Fe.

I was once in an open air restaurant in San Francisco and wondered if I had enough Euros.

I always think of my hometown, New York, as more an international city than characteristically American.

Shouldn't this be in the U.S. forum?
Old Apr 20th, 2022, 06:02 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
The small town of Leavenworth Washington is often compared with a town in the Bavarian Alps. They often have weekend events aimed at bringing tourism into town. In the summer they often have beer gardens (biergartens sic) along the main street. You can get there from Seattle by taking the Amtrak Empire Builder and a taxi into town if you didn't want to rent a car and drive over the pass. The architecture in the town does have a European flair.
Old Apr 20th, 2022, 06:22 AM

I was going to say Quebec City. tomfuller's mention of Bavaria reminded me of Shepherdstown WV...there is a Bavarian Inn there and the town is historic.

Last edited by TDudette; Apr 20th, 2022 at 06:26 AM.
Old Apr 20th, 2022, 06:29 AM

Newfoundland. They speak with an Irish accent in St John's according to my DH. There is also a bit of France just of the coast - St Pierre and Miquelon.
Leavenworth Washington, a Bavarian village.
Old Apr 20th, 2022, 06:29 AM

Careful - they’ll put it in dreaded “trip ideas/tips.”
Old Apr 20th, 2022, 06:47 AM

Spring Grove, Minn. The Spring Grove settlement has retained the language and customs of Norway longer than most of the other towns in America. An archaic dialect of the Norwegian language is still commonly spoken on the streets, and business continues to be transacted in both English and Norwegian. Eat Norwegian foods such as Lutefisk, Lefse and Rømmegrøt, a butter-soaked cream pudding. Ride bikes on the Blufflands State Trail through forestlands and fields and explore the Dorer State Forest. Twenty-five miles south is Decorah, the Norwegian capital of Iowa.

Fredericksburg, TX. This lively, friendly town in the Texas Hill County was founded by Germans in 1846 and features some remaining Fachwerk, or half-timbered, structures based on their Hessian and Saxon traditions. The rolling hills, colorful wildflowers and winding country roads of the Hill Country are enough to make anyone want to commune with nature. Enchanted Rock Natural Area which is very popular for hiking, bicycling and horseback riding. There is an eclectic arts community—including national and international artists who make Fredericksburg their home with over 20 galleries and studios. Eat German food in one of the many restaurants in town.

St. Martinville, Louisiana. Martinville has a unique Acadian (French Canadian) and Black Creole history. Some of the residents in the region still speak Colonial French, one of the dialects of French Creole. The Evangeline Oak Park centers on an ancient live oak tree (with hanging Spanish moss) on the Bayou Teche. The tree is named for the heroine of the poem Evangeline, written and published by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow in 1847. There are still some buildings built in the French colonial architecture style. In nearby Lafayette you can eat Cajun food and hear Zydeco and Cajun music.
Old Apr 20th, 2022, 06:53 AM

The mansions in Newport RI have the opulence of European palaces.
Old Apr 20th, 2022, 07:16 AM

People always think that my photos of Balboa Park in San Diego are photos from Spain. In central California you have Solvang, a cute but touristy little Danish-style town, and outside of Seattle there is Leavenworth, a Bavarian village.
Old Apr 20th, 2022, 07:21 AM

I seem to remember reading that there were German style buildings in the towns in the hill country outside of Austin.
Old Apr 20th, 2022, 07:21 AM

If you make it a California trip to the NW, Leavenworth WA is our little slice of Bavaria It would make a good trip with Solvang as a west coast road trip-you stop in Kingsburg CA which is "little Sweden" too! I am sure there are other areas as well on this stretch-and you could make a whole trip just out of the 21 missions of CA

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...me-3265475.php

https://leavenworth.org/

https://californiathroughmylens.com/...rnia-missions/
Old Apr 20th, 2022, 07:30 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
You can take your car on a ferry from Fortune Newfoundland to Saint-Pierre, which along with Miquelon is a French commune, thus technically and administratively part of France.

https://goo.gl/maps/HiXoc3kw6UxPNoAo9

Old Apr 20th, 2022, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by deladeb
The mansions in Newport RI have the opulence of European palaces.
The Vanderbilt mansion interior in Hyde Park has been inspired by European palaces

https://flic.kr/p/7DdWc6
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/vander...9390347092211/
Old Apr 20th, 2022, 08:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The Metropolitan Museum's Cloisters building and gardens.

https://www.metmuseum.org/visit/plan.../met-cloisters

Old Apr 20th, 2022, 08:58 AM

We had fun briefly staying at the Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe, Vermont. The lodge has a lot of activities year round and Vermont is a lovely place to visit.
Old Apr 20th, 2022, 09:02 AM

Well, now I think about it, Biltmore House at Asheville is almost entirely furnished with European artifacts. I found it jarring to have an English Georgian room next to a Louise XIV room, but others seem to like it. Asheville's Art Deco buildings are also worth seeing, not to mention the Blue Ridge mountains.
Old Apr 20th, 2022, 10:08 AM

Carmel in California then continue driving South on the coast and stop at Solvang. Solvang is a Danish town and has the look and feel entirely.
If you have not been to Carmel, its beautiful and will make you feel like you are in Europe.
Old Apr 20th, 2022, 10:29 AM

Solvang is a Danish town and has the look and feel entirely.

Ersatz IMO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -