Prosecco area Valdobbiadene/Conegliano

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2022, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have truly enjoyed many of the threads on this forum relating to trips to northern Italy. My husband and I are going to Venice for the first time in late May for 4 nights and this forum has helped me plan our trip. We are definitely taking a water taxi from the airport-perche non?! A 72 hour vaporetto pass-YES! Burano, Murano,..YES! Planning to take passagiattas off the beaten path and not overdo the typical sights, as we did in Firenze! The remainder of our 2 weeks will be spent traveling by car to Vicenza, Verona, Lake Garda to the north, perhaps staying at either Riva del Garda or Limone and taking some scenic drives, then traveling down the west side to Palazza Quaranta in Isola Dovarese for a 2 day business meeting. This leads me to my question: does anyone have anything they want to say about La Strada del Prosecco, esp the superior DOCG Proseccos? Vineyards, stays, food, experiences? We enjoy wine and travel to either Napa, Sonoma or Wilamette every year. We will have 3 days to spend before returning to the airport in Venice and would like to stay at an Agriturismo, which there seem to be an abundance of great ones. So, I look forward to hearing about your experiences. Mille Grazie!
Old Apr 19th, 2022, 08:28 PM

For my last holiday to the Veneto (just pre-covid), I investigated visiting the Prosecco vineyards nearby and as I didn't have a car, I researched doing a day tour. I remember finding one (run by a young woman) which had great reviews but would have to search all over again to find it - so will leave you to do this. This may not be terribly helpful but doing a tour with a local may be even better than doing yourselves. I did consider hiking the Strada route as well but in the end I simply ran out of time and didn't make it there.

I did stay in Treviso, which I really enjoyed. I've previously visited Bassano and Asolo and recommend them both. Next time, I'm going to aim for Belluno. Loved my time in Friuli region as well but sounds like you won't have time for there - next time? There is always more to visit than we ever have time for!
Old Apr 20th, 2022, 05:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Firstly I've never been to the Prosecco area so if you go please come and tell us how you got on.

Generally I find Prosecco a bit disgusting but each to their own.

Given the great wines of the Italy and especially the area around the Veneto I'd struggle to drink Prosecco if in the area, but you might also enjoy the Limone, the general Valpolicelle (i think there are about 7 DOC going down across the Po, light reds easy drinking but they go well with the local food) as well as the core (classico I think) and its Amarone and Ripasso products which are seriously interesting wines if you have not enjoyed them.

It is also worth droping by Soave, not to drink traditional Soave (obviously) but the DOC now allows them a fair wider range of grapes and those are especially well presented at the Soave tasting centre in the middle of town. Then Veneto and its Chardonnay and Merlot can be good

Then there are some tiny areas like the Colli Euganei (a very ancient wine growing area) which has something like 8 wineries on the west side of the slopes and you can stay on the vinyard with a couple.

Italian wines, especially Italian reds are some of the world's great wines but like all such wines they need to be tasted in situ with the local foods and the local chefs.

And then they also make Pinot Grigio.

Last edited by bilboburgler; Apr 20th, 2022 at 05:20 AM.
Old Apr 22nd, 2022, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Bilboburglar, I'm not a Prosecco fan either, but thought I'd stick with the Superiore Prosecco. Your comment did make me laugh, but I have to say I like Pinot Grigio even less-as my husband says, it's not allowed in our house! Thank you for the heads up about the Colli Euganei region-I will start to explore.