Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Anyone planning a European River cruise post-Covid?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2022, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wondering what the current vibe is for European river cruising post-Covid as cruise lines put in place necessary health precautions. Are passengers able to fully enjoy the experience in spite of whatever restrictions are being imposed? I’m thinking about signing on for an October Danube cruise which starts with two hotel nights in Budapest, seven nights cruising and ends with two hotel nights in Prague. I know it’s early days and Covid so unpredictable not to mention the close proximity to the war in Ukraine but any input is appreciated.
travelchat
Old May 31st, 2022, 10:57 AM

Also want to plan a similar river cruise late Sept/October and always change my mind because I don't want to be required to wear a mask onboard the ship. Listening to the news it sounds like Covid is still going to be with us in the fall. Anyone know what the mask requirements are and what about when you leave the ship and are on a tour.

Thank you
Old Jul 28th, 2022, 03:18 PM

Traveling to Germany to do a Rhine River cruise next month. I have heard masks are suggested but not required. Waiting on final paperwork with fingers crossed!
Pam
Old Jul 28th, 2022, 07:29 PM

Are we really “post covid?” Yesterday, the US had 227,000+ new cases. The seven day average is up again to 132,000 per day. Some states are having more than 2,000 a day. More people here seem to be wearing masks again, small children out with their Moms, all wearing masks. A few weeks ago, cashiers at my drugstore did not have masks. Today, they all did.

Cruise ship numbers were being posted as ratings of green, yellow, orange. Green meant no Covid. Orange had enough cases to be investigated. As of last week, there was not a single green ship. All 95 ships that were part of the CDC program were orange, the worst it has been since reporting started. So, they gave up posting, leaving it to individual passengers to try to find out how many people had Covid on their ship.

Who knows what it will be in October?
Old Jul 29th, 2022, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by pamvs
Traveling to Germany to do a Rhine River cruise next month. I have heard masks are suggested but not required. Waiting on final paperwork with fingers crossed!
Pam
Have a wonderful trip, will be anxious to hear how it went. Still on the fence about taking a River Cruise this September.
Old Jul 29th, 2022, 03:35 AM

Want to plan a last minute European River Cruise for this September however I am having the same sentiments as you are. Which cruise line are you using? I am interested in the same cruise as well. Hope you get some posts.
Old Jul 29th, 2022, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

I’m signed on with Tauck for the above mentioned upcoming October River cruise - Musical Magic Along the Blue Danube. This cruise as well as air ticket hanging fire from 2020 due to Covid. Whatever the circumstances I’m damned well determined to go through with it! I’m fully vaxed and should have had #5 booster as well as the annual flu shot to shore up the old immune system. If mask wearing should be required I’m fine with that. After all, it seems a way of life at this point.

Fed up from Covid dictating my every move I’ve begun traveling again, once vaxed, from my home town North of Chicago. First trip was last summer to California with my family for my sister’s funeral (postponed due to Covid but not from Covid) to sprinkle her ashes in the ocean off of Long Beach, Ca followed by a week in Sonoma/Napa. This year so far I’ve traveled with my DD and family to Palm Springs in February, L.A. in April, Lake Delavan, Wi., in May, Paris for a week in June with my son and just this month again (our annual week) in Sonoma/Napa with daughter and family.

At 81 I have no more time to lose!
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 09:23 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
With the recent surge in new cases we continue to hold off booking any trips except to visit family.
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 09:24 PM
lyn

We just got back from two weeks on the Rhine & Mosel. The Captain was strict about everyone wearing a mask unless you were seated in the dining room or lounge.
His cruises this year are so far Covid-free….
Old Aug 11th, 2022, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Cruise Line?

Lyn: thanks for your interesting reply. What cruise line were you on?
Old Aug 11th, 2022, 10:25 PM
lyn

Grand Circle
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 05:52 AM

Low river. water levels are a problem too. There was an article in the NYT about this a few days ago.
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 06:03 PM

There is a post on the Europe Board about the low water levels with input from several posters from Europe.
Old Aug 25th, 2022, 09:00 AM

tnx for reviews, I'm planning to visit Europe in October
Old Aug 29th, 2022, 07:07 AM

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/29/t...ht-europe.html