Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Would you go on an African Safari in Sept. 2022?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2022, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Our April 2020 Safari has been cancelled and rebooked several times, April 2021, April 2022, and now Sept. 2022.

We are still on the fence. We had insurance for almost everything except, in very small print, epidemic.

How are you handling your Covid cancelled/postponed l ready paid for trips?
Old Apr 8th, 2022, 02:17 PM
Forum Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moved to Africa/Middle East Forum
Old Apr 9th, 2022, 07:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Our friends have faced similar cancellations/rebookings of their safari. It's now scheduled for September 2022, but the last time I talked with them they were leaning toward scrapping the trip. The husband is 75 and the wife is 65, both fully vaxed and boosted and in generally good health AFAIK. They are concerned about low vax rates in the countries they'd be visiting so they're watching that stat. I don't know when they'll have to decide...
Old Apr 9th, 2022, 04:30 PM

I have almost the identical situation. I'm about to turn 66 and DH will soon be 70. After postponing twice, we are now scheduled for September 1st -- 4 camps, all in in Kenya. We prepaid a $3500 deposit, which is being applied to the rescheduled dates. The balance will be due 30 days before the trip. We were able to rebook the flights, which were booked with FF miles. At this point, we are planning to go, but are keeping an eye on the situation.

When we rescheduled the last time, it was largely because we'd read that fewer than 2% of the population was vaccinated. But I'm not hearing about it being a huge problem there.

On the other hand, I went to visit family in Nashville and Florida and came back with COVID. I was double vaxxed and boosted, but still got quick sick BOTH times, although not bad enough to be hospitalized. DH only got it once and his symptoms were very mild--like a cold.

My biggest fear is not getting terribly sick or dying. It's that we would test positive and be unable to re-enter the U.S. But at this point, I'm optimistic about taking the trip.
Old Apr 10th, 2022, 08:14 AM

I'm not traveling internationally until the requirement to test negative to re-enter the US is dropped. Now that the variants are causing milder illness, I'm not worried about getting covid, as much as I am having to extend my stay wherever I am because I can't fly home if I test positive. I cancelled two safaris and a trip to Turkey and just won't book anything international until those testing requirements are dropped. I know three people now at work who've had to extend their stay at their own expense and miss another week plus of work because they can't come home. And if you're positive, it's not like you can be out sightseeing and enjoying where you are while you're stranded (or at least ethically, you shouldn't be).
Old Apr 10th, 2022, 10:36 AM

< I know three people now at work who've had to extend their stay at their own expense and miss another week plus of work because they can't come home. And if you're positive, it's not like you can be out sightseeing and enjoying where you are while you're stranded (or at least ethically, you shouldn't be).>

Amyb: That's my exact concern.

<I'm not traveling internationally until the requirement to test negative to re-enter the US is dropped.>

That is probably the wisest choice -- but I HATE IT!!!! I'll keep hoping for the best...
Old Apr 10th, 2022, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Songdoc
<I'm not traveling internationally until the requirement to test negative to re-enter the US is dropped.>

That is probably the wisest choice -- but I HATE IT!!!! I'll keep hoping for the best...
I don’t think it’ll be any time soon with the latest variant running wild in Europe and Asia. Maybe by year end.
Old Apr 10th, 2022, 05:14 PM

amyb: I fear you are right. (he said, sobbing!)
Old Apr 10th, 2022, 07:52 PM

AmyB said "not worried about getting covid, as much as I am having to extend my stay wherever I am because I can't fly home if I test positive." Exactly my reason for not leaving the USA. (We're lucky to live in a country with a never-ending number of wonderful places to see, if the travel bug strikes) While numerous countries are, fwiw, at CDC level 4 "Do NotTravel" category (virtually all of Europe, for example) I doubt the State Dept (is that who's in charge of this?) will lift negative testing requirement for entering the USA.

Speaking of CDC Travel Level warnings, was surprised and very glad to see this for Kenya!! https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices...onavirus-kenya Of course things could change, but hope this remains the same for Songdoc, TPAYT, and Jean's friends, until at least September this year (and past that!!) whether in Kenya or other African countries.

Please don't cry, Songdoc! I have a strong feeling "third time's charm" for your and DH's trip, and that you will remain healthy. Twice with Covid ? Enough --you've had your share!

Have been dreaming of return Kenya trip, this time with more family, for Summer 2023. Songdoc, I took your advice in another thread, and have been gently "working on" hesitant daughter. It's been understandably quiet on this Kenya forum, but I've enjoyed the Tripadvisor Kenya forum (have seen your posts there, AmyB--thanks!).
Old Apr 10th, 2022, 10:41 PM

CaliNurse: That is VERY encouraging about Kenya. My hopes are back up!!! Good luck with that daughter!
Old Apr 11th, 2022, 01:34 AM

Amyb, I think you are wise to postpone international travel for now. Here in the UK where I live another factor is that many flights are being cancelled due to staff shortages caused by illness, and the UK has a record high Covid infection rate. My daughter and her family are in Cape Town at the moment, with a side trip to Namibia planned. I’m keeping my fingers crossed they won’t have problems getting home after Easter. At least if things go wrong they can continue staying with SIL’s parents, a luxury most travellers won’t have.
Old Apr 11th, 2022, 02:00 AM

Calinurse "We're lucky to live in a country with a never-ending number of wonderful places to see, if the travel bug strikes” Just came back from a month in California and I couldn’t agree more. We were stumped for choice on where to go and what to see and that was just one state. To be fair though, you are not going to find too many lions, wildebeest & elephants wandering through the Napa valley.

I was very concerned about the testing requirements for that trip even though we had fully comprehensive travel insurance covering covid and everything else, fully refundable flights etc. it would still have been a major hassle if we had tested positive here or there (though the UK did lift the requirement for testing just before we left.

Our next trip is to Australia and Japan which, like the USA have decent medical infrastructure and I am not at all concerned about that trip. However, the medical facilities in Africa are generally not great and, if I were to become sick there I would be concerned about access to adequate medical care. Of an age now when theses things start to factor into ones decision making! That said, if the opportunity presented itself, I would likely go.

As Heimdall says, rates in the UK are rising and causing havoc in the transport industry and will likely rise further over the easter period. However, serious illness and deaths are thankfully not following the same trajectory. Indeed, I saw some stats the other day that showed “excess death”rates declining into negative territory indicating we are moving from pandemic to endemic. Once summer arrives, I would imagine infection rates will fall further.
Old Apr 11th, 2022, 04:41 AM

Add me to the list as another pandemic California traveler! We went for a week in early September and are going again next month for a week. That we love it there is the draw but that they also "handle" covid like we do hear in MA (at least in the LA area where we'll be) is a bonus. We're also pondering a midwest roadtrip to hit the presidential libraries we haven't seen yet.

I may sound like a baby, but I go on safari to relax and rejuvenate, leave all my worries behind. My Type A OCD would not let me relax if I was worried about pre-departure testing and the consequences of the testing the entire time I'm there. It's just too much money to spend to not be able to kick back and let it all go.

Heimdall, I will cross fingers that your daughter gets home in time for Easter!

Songdoc, I know it's hard to swallow any postponement, but I dream of how good that first sundowner will be when I finally get back there.
Old Apr 11th, 2022, 01:30 PM

@ Crellston: "To be fair though, you are not going to find too many lions, wildebeest & elephants wandering through the Napa valley."

You'd be surprised!! Haven't been here, although it's only 90 minute drive from me! https://www.safariwest.com

During a recent year horrible NorCal wildfire, with flames leaping down the hill toward them, the owners and staff miraculously saved all the animals .

​​​​​​​Good point about hospital infrastructure in Africa (and of course many other places). Being (even) older than you, I get it. Have to count on the medevac section of travel insurance, but hope never to put it to the test!
Old Apr 11th, 2022, 06:32 PM

I've seen wild zebras in San Simeon. (I thought I was hallucinating!)

Yes, the USA has incredible places to visit -- and I LIVE in one of them (Kauai). But "I WANNA GO ON MY SAFARI," he said, whining and stomping his feet.

Who would have imagined we'd be living through this???

Old Apr 11th, 2022, 08:00 PM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
We postponed our planned trip to Kenya and had one year to reschedule. We ended up going in Nov 2021 and had a wonderful trip. We flew through ATL and AMS with no issues. We did have to have Covid testing for the return trip but our agent, The Wild Source, set it all up to be done at our dayroom in Nairobi. It was all seamless.

Obviously (because I did go), I would say to go. Yes, there is a chance something might happen. There's also a bigger chance nothing will happen.

Old Apr 12th, 2022, 10:30 AM

sundowner: Wow! That is quite a photo. I'm glad to hear it went well for you.

If I go, I think it will need to be with the acceptance that I am taking a risk--and that I need to be prepared for the possibility (even if slight) that I will have to quarantine in a Nairobi hotel room.

So far, my track record is terrible. Two trips wearing N-95 masks -- two cases of COVID.
Old Apr 12th, 2022, 07:17 PM

@Sundowner, I love this: "Yes, there is a chance something might happen. There's also a bigger chance nothing will happen." It's bound to become my newest mantra. Thanks for the words, and photo, to keep us inspired!

@Songdoc: I hope--and strongly suspect-- that you're going on safari, you're going to love it, and you' re *not* going to require quarantine.
P.s. Your "I want my safari!" reminds me of 1950s Marky Maypo ads (am I dating myself?)!
Old Apr 13th, 2022, 04:23 PM

CaliNurse: I sure hope you are correct about your predictions.
I had completely forgotten about Maypo!!! That brought me a smile. (I guess I'm dating myself, too!)
Old Apr 14th, 2022, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by CaliNurse
@ Crellston: "To be fair though, you are not going to find too many lions, wildebeest & elephants wandering through the Napa valley."

You'd be surprised!! Haven't been here, although it's only 90 minute drive from me! https://www.safariwest.com

During a recent year horrible NorCal wildfire, with flames leaping down the hill toward them, the owners and staff miraculously saved all the animals .

Good point about hospital infrastructure in Africa (and of course many other places). Being (even) older than you, I get it. Have to count on the medevac section of travel insurance, but hope never to put it to the test!
I guess anything is possible! Yesterday when I took the dog for her daily walk in Regents Park I saw parrots flying around!!! (and no, I hadn’t been taking any hallucinogenics!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -