"Murder in Provence"

Search

"Murder in Provence"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2022, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Murder in Provence"

Has anybody watched the first episodes of this new British murder mystery series, based on the Antoine Verlaque novels by M. L. Longworth? We caught the first of three last night and were pleasantly surprised. It wasn't awful; in fact, we actually enjoyed it. The reliable Roger Allam and Nancy Carroll (and Patricia Hodge doing her grand dame thing) were fun, the dialogue was occasionallly clever, and the photography, in Aix and Cassis, was glorious. Allam is an investigating judge, Carroll his partner, Hodge Carroll's slightly controlling mother, and Aix the beautiful setting where somehow people keep getting murdered.

So far there are only three episodes, available at Britbox. You can get a free trial membership for seven days, more than enough time to watch the three episodes. A lot of Britbox's content overlaps with that on Acorn, so I'm not sure we'll keep it after this week is up, but it's quite inexpensive if we do ($6.99 a month).

If you need a diversion from the horror du jour, you could do worse.
Old Apr 3rd, 2022, 11:28 AM

I also enjoyed this show very much and am waiting for more episodes.
Old Apr 3rd, 2022, 11:37 AM

We enjoyed this show a lot. But if you enjoy tv series in France and other places, you might enjoy subscribing to MHz, a foreign language (non-English) streaming service. I can’t tell you how much fun it is to watch and listen to shows in French, Italian, Spanish and other languages. And if you’re a Murder mystery fan, then you will love Murder in… a mystery series taking place in different towns and regions throughout France. I’m happy because Season 9 starts this week! And there are many, many more shows!
Old Apr 3rd, 2022, 12:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, "Meurtres à" is a long runnning French series well worth watching.
Old Apr 3rd, 2022, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by progol
We enjoyed this show a lot. But if you enjoy tv series in France and other places, you might enjoy subscribing to MHz, a foreign language (non-English) streaming service. I can’t tell you how much fun it is to watch and listen to shows in French, Italian, Spanish and other languages. And if you’re a Murder mystery fan, then you will love Murder in… a mystery series taking place in different towns and regions throughout France. I’m happy because Season 9 starts this week! And there are many, many more shows!
MHz is my favourite streaming service. I love listing to Spanish, Italian and French, I even learned several words in Swedish ! During this Covid travel drought scenes of Berlin, Zurich, Naples, Stockholm, Bern and other European locations have been delightful to see once again.
Old Apr 4th, 2022, 02:31 AM

[QUOTE=danon;17350195]MHz is my favourite streaming service. I love listing to Spanish, Italian and French, I even learned several words in Swedish ! During this Covid travel drought scenes of Berlin, Zurich, Naples, Stockholm, Bern and other European locations have been delightful to see once again.[/

My favorite, too! I can safely say that I especially enjoy murder in many languages!
Old Apr 4th, 2022, 07:03 AM

My favorite, too! I can safely say that I especially enjoy murder in many languages!

😺
Old Apr 4th, 2022, 07:17 AM

The advantage of murders in European series is that they rarely involve firearms. It is one of the reasons that I watch a lot of the British, Belgian and German murder series (besides the French ones) and almost no American ones because the deaths are so tranquil and there are no shootouts or car chases.
Old Apr 4th, 2022, 07:59 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kerouac
. . . there are no shootouts or car chases.
Oh, never mind then.

Old Apr 4th, 2022, 10:51 AM

Old Apr 4th, 2022, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by kerouac
The advantage of murders in European series is that they rarely involve firearms. It is one of the reasons that I watch a lot of the British, Belgian and German murder series (besides the French ones) and almost no American ones because the deaths are so tranquil and there are no shootouts or car chases.
Hmmm. I have watched quite a number of European series with firearms. Just watched a cop series set in Marseilles the other night full of car chases and guns.
Old Apr 4th, 2022, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by raincitygirl
Hmmm. I have watched quite a number of European series with firearms. Just watched a cop series set in Marseilles the other night full of car chases and guns.
I thought the same. Engrenages (Spiral) or Line of Duty are anything but tranquil! Though there’s definitely a difference between the cop-style shows and the gentler, cozy-style mysteries.