Search

Uk to NZ Options

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2022, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uk to NZ Options

Any advice re Stop over Cities on flight from Ireland to Auckland in Jan, Need to break up the trip and would welcome any tips re Airlines, routes Etc…

Sincerest TIA..

Jamie.
Old Mar 29th, 2022, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of ways you could do this. the most popular would be via the Far East. The usual suspects are Singapore, Bangkok, Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur which, in terms of overall flight time, are the quickest. Other, less used options (sometimes with more than one connection) could be via Seoul, Tokyo and Taipei or even LA (with Virgin). All have their attractions. Singapore is my least favourite choice, some love it but I find it boring, sterile and very expensive. Bangkok would be fun fro a few days as would HK. Later this year we fly to Sydney with Ana via Tokyo which is one of my favourite cities. Taipei is also a great place for a few days. Very user friendly, and easy commute to the airport etc. I like Seoul too but not user friendly in terms of getting around.

I have also flown via the middle East with Emirates but the first stopover in Dubai was only 7 hours after takeoff so I didn’t like that to much and it did require a second stopover.

For me, the choice of airline would be a priority, especially if flying Premium Economy or Business class where there can be wide differences in service and comfort. less noticeable in economy. (of an age now where my back wouldn’t cope with 24hrs plus in economy!!). Emirates and BA excellent in Business as are Ana and allegedly Singapore , though I have yet to fly with them BUS. Recently flew PE to Los Angeles with Virgin and I would be very happy flying to NZ with them in PE (though it was a half empty flight.

All things being equal in terms of flight times and fares, I would choose to fly via Tokyo or Taipei.

Not sure whether Trailfinders operate in Ireland or not but it is worth giving them a call. I usually book directly with the airline but their covid guarantees are excellent, especially if you book a few nights accommodation along side the flight as a “package”. They could get the flights cheaper than I could and if anywhere closes their doors to travellers 7 days before travel , they provide an immediate refund.