First trip to Mexico City in mid-May

Old Mar 19th, 2022, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First trip to Mexico City in mid-May

Hi guys,

I am thinking about booking a solo trip to Mexico City in mid-May. Probably 4-5 days in total. I would love to hear from folks who have spent time there as this would be my first time visiting. I always do my own research, but I always like to hear from people about their "must do, must go, must visit, etc.".

Would love to hear about your hidden gems (restaurants, museums, art galleries, parks, hikes, historical sites, etc.). Favorite neighborhoods that you stayed in or spent time in. Any areas outside of the city that you would recommend visiting? Outdoor activities that you really enjoyed, sites that you loved.

Thanks in advance for your tips!

Old Mar 19th, 2022, 07:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
My first, and latest trips I've stayed in the historic center on the Zocalo. In the immediate area you'll visit the Cathedral, the ruins of the great temple and its adjacent museum and the National Palace with its stunning Diego Rivera murals. Further away the Anthropology Museum is among the greatest of its kind. You're not far from Belles Artes as well. That said, it can be noisy and you never know what may be happening in the Zocalo (political rallies, festivals, etc). That is of course one of its attractions -- it's a real slice of life. The hotel Majestic has rooms facing the square, and a rooftop terrace restaurant and bar overlooking it.

I always have a meal at the Cafe Tacuba when in the neighborhood. The food is good and old school, and the decor is classic.

If you would want a different, more laid back vibe you might look at the La Condesa neighborhood. I haven't stayed there myself, but intend to next time. It's more residential, has lovely parks and lots of cafes and restaurants. Most of the hotels seem to be small, boutique affairs.

Visit the pyramids of Teotihuacan for a great day trip out of town. There are tours you can book, or you can travel solo via metro and bus. Be sure to see the temple of Quetzelcoatl in the area known as The Citadel.
Old Mar 19th, 2022, 08:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Pretty much agree with Fra D. With only 4-5 days you'll not really have enough have time to get out of the city much except for Teotihuacan, as mentioned. Lunch at La Gruta near there is unique. Reservations required.
If you're there over a weekend, Xochimilco is a hoot.
Cafe Tacuba is a classic. Sanborn's too in the Casa De Azulejos is worthwhile. The food is good, not great, (it's a chain) but the setting is the thing. Even just for coffee.
Where to stay is often a dilemma. Centro for the classic architecture? Or Roma/Condesa for the restaurant/nightlife scene? We usually stay in Roma at the Stanza and visit centro during the day.
Old Mar 19th, 2022, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the tips!
Old Mar 19th, 2022, 01:41 PM

Brief trip report from just before the world shut down

Loving Mexico City

I stayed in Roma Norte at the Stanza Hotel (recommended by crellston and baldone I think). It is nicely located between the Zocalo/centro and the Chapultapec park which has the Archaeology museum. I recommend using Uber liberally, although I used the Metro Pushkin station near the Stanza to get toward the Centro. Walking north away from Av Obregon puts you into a pleasant neighborhood, see the square around Plaza Rio de Janeiro.
I endorse all of the sights other have mentioned, also the Frida Kahlo house in Coyoacan (there was also a recent trip report from someone staying in Coyoacan). For any museum you would want to research the current status and need for reservations.

If you haven't seen trip reports I think they are easier to find on the Desktop version of the website.

Last edited by mlgb; Mar 19th, 2022 at 01:47 PM.
Old Mar 19th, 2022, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the recommendations!
Old Mar 19th, 2022, 11:44 PM

Another vote for Roma Norte and the Stanza. We stayed there at the start of a three month trip to Mexico and ended that trip with a stay on the Zocalo. Preferred Roma which seemed pretty good for getting around town. We mostly used the subway with a few Ubers thrown in here and there. There are a couple of posts specifically on what we did in Mexico City on that trip. https://accidentalnomads.com/category/mexico/ One thing I regret not doing was a Sunday afternoon boat ride on the canals of Xochimlico.
Old Mar 20th, 2022, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the recommendations!
Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 02:11 PM

We just got back yesterday from a great trip to CDMX. Loved it!

I will post a proper trip report soon, but I would recommend:

-Stay in Roma or Condesa

-Use Ubers (very easy and inexpensive, but do allow a bit longer than in USA for car to arrive, like 10 or 15 min)

-The fun food tour we did one evening (tacos and mezcal with a very knowledgeable and friendly local through Eat Mexico)
Old Mar 26th, 2022, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks laurie_ann appreciate the recommendations! That food tour sounds great I will have to check that out.
Old Mar 26th, 2022, 05:11 AM

If you have any interest in art , or indeed the recent history of Mexico then I would second the recommendation by mlgb above to visit the Frida Kahlo house in Coyoacan. I would also recommend watching the film Frida, starring Salma Hayek for background. It is essential however to book. We just turned up, took one look at the massive queue and decided to book online for another day. Well worth it though!
Old Apr 2nd, 2022, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crellston
If you have any interest in art , or indeed the recent history of Mexico then I would second the recommendation by mlgb above to visit the Frida Kahlo house in Coyoacan. I would also recommend watching the film Frida, starring Salma Hayek for background. It is essential however to book. We just turned up, took one look at the massive queue and decided to book online for another day. Well worth it though!
Thank you for the suggestion! I definitely plan to visit the Frida Kahlo house, good to know to book well ahead.