Zermatt Express from Milan - Advice Please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2022, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We want to take this train ride. Can we do this ourselves or do we need a guide? Where can we purchase tickets and how far in advance should we purchase. Any other tips appreciated.
Old Mar 10th, 2022, 06:34 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Do you mean the Glacier Express?

Tickets available here:

https://www.glacierexpress.ch/en/

You don't need a 'guide' for any train in Switzerland.

You also need not take the fancy train (unless you want). Regional trains (without the big windows and meals) take the same route at a fraction of the cost. Tickets here:

https://www.sbb.ch/en

We seldom purchase our tickets in advance in Switzerland, unless we're trying to take advantage of a SuperSaver Fare, (which doesn't apply on the special Glacier Express train).

I guess when you purchase will depend on the time of year you're traveling.
Old Mar 10th, 2022, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

You are correct I was asking about Glacier express. Can we do this in one day fro Milan?
Old Mar 10th, 2022, 07:45 AM

Mike -

When I put Milan to Zermatt in the SBB search it shows a trip of between 3:54 to 4:49

Last edited by Melnq8; Mar 10th, 2022 at 07:48 AM.
Old Mar 10th, 2022, 07:47 AM

My post went into moderation, so trying again. When I put Milan to Zermatt in the SBB search it shows 3:54 to 4:49.
Old Mar 10th, 2022, 01:25 PM

Take a look at the Glacier Express' route map here:
Glacier Express - Scenic Panorama Train Tour from St Moritz to Zermatt
If you want to start from Milan, then you'll have to take trains to one of its stops to get on a Glacier Express. Decide where you want to get off and reverse your steps to get back to Milan. You don't need to ride the whole length of the Glacier Express. Between Chur and Zermatt was 6 hours. I only rode the segment from Chur to Andermatt to go over the 2033-meter Oberalp. We then took a regular train back to Chur.

Another scenic train, Bernina Express, is more often heard in one breath with Milan. Look at its route map here:
Bernina Express - Scenic Panorama Train Tour from Chur to Tirano via St Moritz
You may take train from Milan to Tirano, get on a Bernina Express to ride to St. Moritz. Spend a few hours in St. Moritz, then reverse your steps back to Milan. Just Google "Milan to Bernina Express" for all the info you need.

Both Glacier Express and Bernina Express trains are reservation only. On the return, you may ride any regular trains that meet your schedule, but these trains are not as pretty as the scenic Express trains.
Old Mar 10th, 2022, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everything you need to know about trains in Switzerland here: https://www.seat61.com/train-travel-in-switzerland.htm

I have ridden one of the fancy tourist trains (Golden Pas), and also a regular train over one of the scenic routes (Bernini), and I thought the regular train was fine. And much, much cheaper (all of 10 CHF).
Old Mar 10th, 2022, 02:54 PM

but these trains are not as pretty as the scenic Express trains.

I beg to differ. It's the same route after all. Yes, the trains are more posh with the huge windows and meal service (and cost more), but the scenery is the same.
Old Mar 13th, 2022, 08:26 AM

In order to board the Glacier Express, you have first to go from Milan to Brig: Milano Centrale dp 7.20 - Brig ar 9.16, resp Milano Malpensa Airport Termina 1 dp 7.19 - Gallarate ar 7.44, dp 7.54 - Brig ar 9.16.
The Glacier Express train leaves Brig at 10.18 and arrives at St. Moritz at 16.37. You could then theoretically continue back to Milan: St. Moritz dp 16.48 - Bernina - Tirano ar 19.00, dp 19.08 - Milano Centrale ar 21.40.
But that wouldn' make sense. Stop over at least 1 day in the St. Moritz area.
If you wnat to visit Zermatt too, you best go first from Milan via Brig to Zermatt, spend ther a full day, tgake the Glacier Express on day 2 up to St. Moritz and the Bernina eXpress from there to Tirano (- Milan) in the afternoon of day 4.
Old Apr 23rd, 2022, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Bernina Express from Milan to Chur?

Reading all of the great information you all have provided, I'm thinking the Milan - Triano - Chur and return would be our best bet but it looks like we would need an overnight in Chur. Does this sound feasible? Any recommendations where to stay/eat in Chur? Thanks for your input!
Old Apr 24th, 2022, 12:16 AM

iF YOU PREFER TO SPEND MOST OF YOUR TIME IN TRAINS AND BUSES, YOU CAN EASILY DO THE WHOLE TRIP IN 1 DAY:
Milano Centrale dp 9.10 - Bellinzona ar 10.45, dp by bus 10.56 - Thusis ar 12.35, have lunch at Thusis, Thusis dp by Bernina Express 14.04 - Tirano ar 17.59, dp by train 18.08 - Milano Centrale ar 20.40.
BUT WHAT SHOULD THAT BE GOOD FOR?
Old Apr 24th, 2022, 08:57 AM

If you can spare more time, try to incorporate neckervd's suggestions in post #9.

If you can spare only one over-night, then Chur is a choice. You don't have to return in the same route you came, you may take trains through different routes to go back to Milan.

My stay in Chur was decades ago, so please check if the business below are still open and read their more recent reviews to decide for yourself.

Hotel: My first choice was "Hotel ABC" in Chur, just opposite the train station; but they did not have 3 rooms for 6 nights for me at that time, so we booked at "PostHotel" in Chur. However, I just googled and could not find a "PostHotel" in Chur anymore

Restaurants: We loved "Restaurant Calanda" - casual, cheerful and very relaxing. We also loved Restaurant Zum Kornplatz (Kornplatz 1, Chur) - classy, good food, and enjoyable.

Last edited by Reading54; Apr 24th, 2022 at 09:06 AM.
Old Apr 25th, 2022, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Ok I think we decided to just do the Bernini express with an overnight in Zurich. Can anyone recommend a place to stay near Milan Centrale and in Zurich?