Search

Portugal Covid Entry Requirements

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2022, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Portugal Covid Entry Requirements

Hi there,

As of March 2022, does anyone know if Canadians can enter Portugal with just a negative PCR test? My understanding is that the EU change the rules in February as to what fully vaccinated means, but the Portuguese Government online information seems a bit ambiguous with the use of the word 'or'. Valid vaccination certificate, 'or' negative test, 'or' recovery certificate. Any clarification would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Mar 6th, 2022, 09:23 AM

Canadians can enter Portugal and can take a PCR test 72 hours prior to departure or approved antigen test (not self-test) within 24 hours of departure. This is true for US citizens, too.

Portugal has eased up on entry requirements for those with an EU COVID certificate and from counties which have “reciprocal conditions”. Tourists from these countries do not need to provide a test as their vaccination cards are accepted. Canada and the US are NOT reciprocal and so must provide a test for entry.

https://www.visitportugal.com/en/con...ented-portugal

I’m cutting and pasting the relevant section:
Mandatory
- A valid vaccination EU Digital COVID Certificate (with a complete vaccination schedule or with a complete vaccination schedule and a vaccine booster)
- Or a valid test or recovery EU Digital COVID Certificate,
- Or a valid vaccination certificate (with a complete vaccination schedule or a vaccine booster) or recovery certificate issued by a third country, under reciprocal conditions: Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Benin, Cabo Verde, El Salvador, Faroe Islands, Georgia, Israel, Iceland, Jordan, Lebanon, Liechtenstein, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Morocco, New Zealand, North Macedonia, Norway, Panama, San Marino, Serbia, Singapore, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Tunisia, Togo, Turkey, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom and the Crown Dependencies (Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man), Uruguay, The Vatican (https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-...certificate_en
),”

Old Mar 6th, 2022, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Prolog. That was what I took it to mean, but that seems to not be the case for Spain or France so I just wanted to make sure I understood it correctly.
Old Mar 6th, 2022, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Siol
Thanks Prolog. That was what I took it to mean, but that seems to not be the case for Spain or France so I just wanted to make sure I understood it correctly.
Each country can implement EU recommendations as they see fit. We’re going to Portugal in May so I’ve been following this closely. So far, many of the EU member countries have dropped the testing requirement totally, but Portugal has maintained the need for reciprocity - and testing is still required to enter the US and Canada. So I suppose fair’s fair, as they say.
Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 09:54 AM

We are planning a trip to Portugal from Canada in early April. The restrictions are not clear. Has anyone traveled recently (February/March) without having a Covid-19 test done, yet are fully vaccinated?
Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 11:08 AM

Everyone from the US and Canada must provide a test for entry to Portugal. It doesn’t matter if you are vaccinated and boosted. Here is the link to the Visit Portugal site (the government site):
https://www.visitportugal.com/en/con...ented-portugal

The important info is included under the first section titled, “Mandatory”:

Mandatory
- A valid vaccination EU Digital COVID Certificate (with a complete vaccination schedule or with a complete vaccination schedule and a vaccine booster)

- Or a valid test or recovery EU Digital COVID Certificate,

- Or a valid vaccination certificate (with a complete vaccination schedule or a vaccine booster) or recovery certificate issued by a third country, under reciprocal conditions: Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Benin, Cabo Verde, El Salvador, Faroe Islands, Georgia, Israel, Iceland, Jordan, Lebanon, Liechtenstein, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Morocco, New Zealand, North Macedonia, Norway, Panama, San Marino, Serbia, Singapore, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Tunisia, Togo, Turkey, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom and the Crown Dependencies (Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man), Uruguay, The Vatican “

People seem to get confused over the requirements. Note that the USA and Canada are not considered “reciprocal”. That is, these countries still require a test for entry and are therefore not “reciprocal conditions” with Portugal. And only people who have been vaccinated in the EU have an EU digital certificate. Since one must fulfil one of the 3 requirements to enter Portugal, the only thing that is left is providing a negative test as stated above.

Of course, things can change, and I believe restrictions may be reviewed again on March 30. However, right now, you are required to take a test. Whether or not some people have managed to enter without a test doesn’t stop it from being a requirement.

Last edited by progol; Mar 23rd, 2022 at 11:14 AM.