1st time in Hawaii -- ATMs

Old Mar 4th, 2022, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
1st time in Hawaii -- ATMs

We may be the only Californians our age who have never been to Hawaii! That said, we have expiring AA credited funds from the trip to Key West that got canceled in March, 2020, so I said, why not visit one of the 7 states left I've never been to.

So Oa'hu here we come! Knowing absolutely nothing about Honolulu other than Pearl Harbor, Pipeline, Sunset Beach, Diamond Head, and the Royal Hawaiian that was featured prominently in the 1961 movie, Gidget Goes Hawaiian (and yes, that's where we're booked!), I started researching not to be missed places. I've read prior posts, so have some fairly helpful advice.

In my research, I discovered that there is NO Bank of America in Hawaii! And, of course, that's where we bank. But luckily, we have our Charles Schwab debit cards that can be used anywhere in the world, and CS reimburses us all the finance charges. Thought I'd throw this out there if anyone going to Hawaii didn't know this!

I think the only questions I do have that research has not answered are: (1) how warm is the Ocean there; and (2) how humid is it? I'm pretty sure that even though it's the Pacific Ocean, it's not as cold as it is in March in Santa Monica. Just want a general idea. As for humidity, I know it's fairly tropical (or at least I think it is), but is it Florida-like humidity? Ask this question, because the only time I actually wear deodorant is when it's humid!

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 5th, 2022, 05:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The water is wonderful and warm compared to here. Enjoyable. Bring your deodorant, just in case. Humidity depends on the tradewinds.
Old Mar 5th, 2022, 06:15 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MichelleY
The water is wonderful and warm compared to here. Enjoyable. Bring your deodorant, just in case. Humidity depends on the tradewinds.
MY DW and I flew to HNL the first week of November last year. Neither of us swam but we saw many people swimming at Waimea Bay on the north shore. I even saw a couple of surfers headed to the beach. There was enough light wind so that the humidity was not bad. The weather pattern/trade winds may change during the spring/summer.
If you visit a grocery store or pharmacy and use either ATM card, you can get cash back at the register. Be sure that you have your CDC vaccine card (or digital equivalent) with you to show when entering any restaurant.
Old Mar 5th, 2022, 07:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ocean will be warmer than California but cooler than the Caribbean
Old Mar 5th, 2022, 09:33 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"We may be the only Californians our age who have never been to Hawaii! "

I am shocked I say - Shocked!

I am a total water temp wimp and even I went snorkeling on Oahu (which for me was earthshaking - My mom didn't believe me until she saw my under water photos. For me actual 'swimming' is 'staying alive in the water' I'm more of a wade/paddle around sort of girl which wouldn't be such a great screen name).

Have a great trip.
Old Mar 5th, 2022, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You really don't need an ATM card, why not just use a credit card? Nearly everyone takes them, I think I only needed cash for a farm stand on the Big Island.
March should be pretty nice, not oppressive humidity, and the water is warm enough that you only need rash guard sun protection.
Old Mar 7th, 2022, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info, and yes, Janis, it is rather shocking, isn't it?1?
Old Mar 7th, 2022, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Oh another quick question. Tried to get reservations at Duke's, but seems like you have to make those reservations nearly a month in advance! Any other suggestions at can't miss places in Waikiki where I might be able to get a reservation?

Also, on the subject of the dreaded touristy luau's . . . yes, I figured why not. Any recs?
Old Mar 7th, 2022, 06:50 PM

The ocean temp never goes below 77 degrees. That's what it was when I went in yesterday. I found it refreshing and not at all uncomfortable. It typically goes up to around 82 in the summer.
Old Mar 8th, 2022, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Surfergirl
Thanks for all the info, and yes, Janis, it is rather shocking, isn't it?1?
We went to Hawaii last summer, so yes, I think you really are the last Californians to go. We went to the Big Island, so none of my experience is likely to be applicable except that yes, the water is warmer than in CA - it was so much fun to swim in the ocean.
Old Mar 9th, 2022, 08:26 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have never found it humid (but they I typically vacation in Mexico). Don't know about ocean temps but you'd expect daytime highs to be low 80's that time of year and nice weather.

I take cash to get started then use any bank ATM machine (yes I pay an out-of-network fee with Bank of America but it is not much). I use cash for almost everything in Waikiki.
Old Mar 9th, 2022, 08:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
https://www.toaluau.com/
If you want to do a luau look at this one (it's outside Waikiki but you could make a day of North Shore and include it).

Also know there are many opportunities to see free performances of Hawaiian music & dance most evenings somewhere around town. Here is one events calendar:
https://www.royalhawaiiancenter.com/events
Old Mar 10th, 2022, 06:48 AM

Showing CDC card no longer required. It was only for restaurants/bars, not stores when I went after Thanksgiving.

https://www.oneoahu.org/