Between France and Germany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2022, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I live in Paris and my partner lives in Bonn, Germany. Could someone please suggest a town or city where we could meet which would be convenient for both of us? We've already tried Brussels but it is too big and too...mainstream? We are looking for something quite and not too touristy. A very normal but pretty town where we could just spend a few days together. We both live in Europe so our ambition is not to do a lot of sight-seeing but rather to just have something pleasant and quiet. Obviously we are not looking for something grey and drab. I was originally thinking of Münster, but it is very complicated for me to go there from Paris. Any help or suggestion would be much appreciated.
Old Mar 4th, 2022, 10:59 AM

Strasbourg? 3h30 from Bonn, www.bahn.de, 1h46 from Paris, www.SNCF-connect.com

I can recommend the restaurant Dauphin opposite the cathedral.

Cologne? 3h30 from Paris, just minutes from Bonn. I'm a fan of the Brauhaus Sion, 5 min from the station.
Old Mar 4th, 2022, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Hey thanks for the reply! I was thinking of Strausberg. Do you think it would be hyper touristy? Or would it be a bit calmer in March-April?
Old Mar 4th, 2022, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe not too bad at that time of year, and it's big enough you can probably avoid the worst (make sure the EU Parliament is not in session). I liked Strasbourg enough I went back for a second visit. You can also do a day trip to Colmar, and maybe even to Nancy, although I think Nancy deserves at least one overnight, and more if you are really into Art Nouveau.

For food I highly recommend https://www.fromagerie-tourrette.com...che-a-fromage/ and https://www.strissel.fr/ - although the prices at the former seem to have gone up a lot since I was there.

I have stayed twice at the Hotel Suisse, right behind the cathedral (which is magnificent).

Old Mar 4th, 2022, 12:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
My recommendation would have been Strasbourg as well. If you want a quiet place, try Kehl or Offenburg in Germany.
Old Mar 4th, 2022, 12:40 PM

Luxembourg city, Bastogne, Trier, Nancy, Liege, Maastricht, Aachen. None really halfway but all interesting places.
There are any number of interesting small towns and villages, but they may not be easy by public transport.
I think if you didn't like Brussels you may not like Strasbourg, but maybe Freiburg im Breisgau, or Baden Baden may appeal.
Old Mar 8th, 2022, 01:51 AM

I second hetismij2 and would llike to add Lille and Arras
Old Mar 8th, 2022, 02:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Baden Baden can be very nice at that time of year.
Old Mar 8th, 2022, 04:20 AM

We never warmed up to Liege; for something smaller and pleasant in Belgium, suggest Leuven.

+1 for Nancy and Baden-Baden. Freiburg is great too, but if you're coming down that far, you might as well come to Basel

Last edited by WeisserTee; Mar 8th, 2022 at 04:22 AM.