vermont,new york ,New Hampshire

Old Mar 1st, 2022, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vermont,new york ,New Hampshire

This July 3 couples are wanting to spend four or five nights on or near a lake in New England.We are spending a few days in Rhode Island were we grew up and then want to find a lake that we can rent kayaks ,patio boat and enjoy good swimming.With so many lakes to choose from I thought I would get some ideas .We are not looking for any night life just some nice accomadations and dining options.Everyone is in their 60's and 70's and like to take hikes .
Old Mar 2nd, 2022, 03:03 AM

This is actually a tough question. Yes there a re plenty of lakes but the list grows shorter for kayak rentals and shorter still for a good kayaking experience. I have only been a few times but Comtoocook River rentals gets four star rating and that is one Imhave done. The river doesn't have a lot of boat traffic and you can paddle to a small secluded neach for swimming and picnicing. They will also transport you to a larger river, the Merrimack were there are multiple small beaches where you can take out. What is nice is that you are close to things but can't see houses until you het near the take out area which is near exit 17 I93. You will see interesting bird life and due to shallow wayer in many places there isn't mich boat traffic until you get closer to the take out spot. Due to boat traffic I would not consider kayaking on Lake Winnipesaukee.

you could choose nice, quieter lakes but would probably have to transport the kayaks. My kayaking friends tend to choose secluded ponds where the swimming might be lousy but there's a chance to see loons and eagles.

A compromise might be to take the nature cruise on a pontoon boat with the Squam Lakes Science Center. You could stay on Lake Winnipesaukee which isn't far away. If you could stay on Squam Lake that would be ideal but there is very few places to stay onmthe lake. To be conventient to Squam you would want to stay on the north side of the lake. Winnisquam is a large lake but quieter than Winnipesaukee where renting a boat would be safer.shoukd you not find lodging on a lake, there are several beautiful state parks with beaches. The beach at the Weirs tends to be overcrowded. Lake Winnipesaukee area also puts you an easy drive to many hiking trails. Don't forget July 4 parade traffic.
Old Mar 2nd, 2022, 04:45 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
If you are willing to consider Maine, Naples calls itself the "pontoon boat capital of the world"

Saco River/Sebago Lake area is a mecca for water sports.

https://www.sacorivercanoe.com/
Old Mar 2nd, 2022, 09:27 AM
J62

If you are willing to consider New York, the Saranac Lake area has some great kayaking/boating options. It's the gateway to the entire St Regis Canoe Area. There are several outfitters right in Saranac Lake that offer pickup or drop of options.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/70572.html

We typically go for a weekend getaway in the fall after boating & swimming season, and we have been staying at the Hotel Saranac in one of their king suite rooms. There's a brand new hotel Saranac Waterfront Lodge on Lake Flower, and the Ampersand Bay resort (been there forever) on Lower Saranac Lake, neither of which we've tried.

For swimming, my favorite is Lake George, for the clarity of the water. On LG there are numerous rock jumping ledges or other swimming areas only accessible if you have a boat. There are marinas in Bolton Landing where I believe you can rent motor boats, and definitely kayaks. Personally I don't like kayaking on such a large lake which is why the smaller lakes and river near Saranac are ideal.