Tanzania August 2022 realistic budget

Old Mar 1st, 2022, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tanzania August 2022 realistic budget

Hello and thanks in advance for Your attention. This is my first post ever. I'm building a classic Northern Circuit safari: Tarangire-2 days - Central and Northern Serengeti 5 days - Ngorongoro 1 days. + arrivals / departures for the second parto of August 2022. Budget for the safari around three-four thousands dollars for a private tour; I travel alone, I like it this way. Does my budget seem realistic to you? I mostly turned to local TOs and with this budget I am guaranteed private service (car, guide) but in fact I am always directed to public campsites of dubious fame and I have the impression of no alternatives except being placed in a well-oiled and very crowded basic circuit with basic services. So, with this budget in mind, should I stick around these offers or try to negociate better accommodations? It is my first time in Africa for a safari, I know it's hard business, but I would like to start on the right foot. I would be very grateful if, with Your experience, you could help me get a realistic picture of the balance I am looking for: between exclusivity and bankruptcy. Thank you very much again! Michele
Old May 23rd, 2022, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by learningtocrawl
Hello and thanks in advance for Your attention. This is my first post ever. I'm building a classic Northern Circuit safari: Tarangire-2 days - Central and Northern Serengeti 5 days - Ngorongoro 1 days. + arrivals / departures for the second parto of August 2022. Budget for the safari around three-four thousands dollars for a private tour; I travel alone, I like it this way. Does my budget seem realistic to you? I mostly turned to local TOs and with this budget I am guaranteed private service (car, guide) but in fact I am always directed to public campsites of dubious fame and I have the impression of no alternatives except being placed in a well-oiled and very crowded basic circuit with basic services. So, with this budget in mind, should I stick around these offers or try to negociate better accommodations? It is my first time in Africa for a safari, I know it's hard business, but I would like to start on the right foot. I would be very grateful if, with Your experience, you could help me get a realistic picture of the balance I am looking for: between exclusivity and bankruptcy. Thank you very much again! Michele
Hello Jambo !
This budget is reasonable, depending on what kind of service you're looking for in Tanzania. To be true if you're looking for a premium tour the budget doesn't fit though for standards and mid-range trip this can cover your cost. Just and advice , dont seek something too cheap. always cheap comes with expensive experience. Focus customizing your trip with TO's than having a tailormade trip. Have clear expectation than surprise. Wish you all the best and welcome to Tanzania
Old May 23rd, 2022, 09:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
A few things at play here, one, you're already very late planning. Most people plan a safari 6-12 months out. Two, a lot of people postponed their safaris from the last two years due to covid, so you're seeing overflow from those postponements taking up space that might normally be available. And three, there's a chance that the migration could still be around the northern Serengeti area, which makes that high season. So that's like the perfect storm of big bang tourism. You really cannot avoid "very crowded" at the time of year you're going. For reasons mentioned above, you're going to find crowds.

I would not stay at any place I'd attach "dubious" to. You can do this privately but at a price. I did the same circuit with three friends in 2013, staying in moderately priced private mobile camps and lodges and it was more than double your price per person for 10 days. I'm not sure what well-oiled means to you, but the tried and true camps and lodges are tried and true for a reason: they continually provide excellent safari experiences.

If you're up for something a bit less crowded and don't care about possibly seeing the migration, then look into another time of year that is off season or shoulder season, maybe in 2023 or 2024. Your options will open up.
Old May 24th, 2022, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by amyb
A few things at play here, one, you're already very late planning. Most people plan a safari 6-12 months out. Two, a lot of people postponed their safaris from the last two years due to covid, so you're seeing overflow from those postponements taking up space that might normally be available. And three, there's a chance that the migration could still be around the northern Serengeti area, which makes that high season. So that's like the perfect storm of big bang tourism. You really cannot avoid "very crowded" at the time of year you're going. For reasons mentioned above, you're going to find crowds.

I would not stay at any place I'd attach "dubious" to. You can do this privately but at a price. I did the same circuit with three friends in 2013, staying in moderately priced private mobile camps and lodges and it was more than double your price per person for 10 days. I'm not sure what well-oiled means to you, but the tried and true camps and lodges are tried and true for a reason: they continually provide excellent safari experiences.

If you're up for something a bit less crowded and don't care about possibly seeing the migration, then look into another time of year that is off season or shoulder season, maybe in 2023 or 2024. Your options will open up.
Originally Posted by elibariki0524
Hello Jambo !
This budget is reasonable, depending on what kind of service you're looking for in Tanzania. To be true if you're looking for a premium tour the budget doesn't fit though for standards and mid-range trip this can cover your cost. Just and advice , dont seek something too cheap. always cheap comes with expensive experience. Focus customizing your trip with TO's than having a tailormade trip. Have clear expectation than surprise. Wish you all the best and welcome to Tanzania
Thank you both for these advices. In the meantime (my post was in March) I learned a few things more and came to the same conclusion Amyb, so I switched to a 10 days mobile camp with a small group of travelers in Botswana this late September instead. Serengeti will be for another time, shoulder season for sure. I hope to be able to post my experience back from Okawango. my best regards
Old May 28th, 2022, 05:55 AM

All the best for your trip to Botswana. Have fun and enjoy Africa Experience