Ohio to Colorado springs

Search

Ohio to Colorado springs

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ohio to Colorado springs

My husband and I will be traveling from ohio to Colorado Springs the first week of June with our 3 young children. What's the best route? Must sees? Best hiking in Colorado around where we will staying? Fun things for kids along the way and in Colorado?
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 06:48 AM

If you go on I-70 here are some places to visit:

Hermann MO. Historic town has two brick downtowns, featuring boutiques and restaurants, dating from the 1830s when it was settled by Germans. The Katy Trail can be accessed from the town and there is a winery on top of a hill overlooking the Missouri River.

Rocheport, MO. The famous Katy Trail at Rocheport, MO features a tunnel on the west and high bluffs along the Missouri River on the east. Bike rentals available.

Lawrence, KS. A quirky university city with a lively downtown featuring boutique shops, good restaurants and bars. Art and natural history museums on the Uni. Of Kansas campus.

Manhattan, KS. Nearby is the 9,900-acre Konza Prairie trails which features trails through the through tallgrass prairie. One may see wild turkeys, prairie chickens or bison.

Rock City Park. Twenty minutes north of Salina KS is Rock City Park, a national natural landmark which features unusual giant rock formations including one through which kids can crawl.

Lindsborg, KansasValkommen! (welcome). Lindsborg, Little Sweden, USA, is considered one of the premiere arts communities in Kansas, if not the Midwest. Its logo, the Dala Horse, may be seen throughout the town. There are Swedish souvenir shops such as Hemslojd and one can eat tasty Swedish food at the Swedish Crown which has Swedish meatballs, Swedish Pancakes and Ostkaka with Lingonberries. Sites include the Birger Sandzen Gallery with its large colorful landscapes, Red Barn Studio, Coronado Heights, Valkommen Trail, and the Old Mill Museum.

Hays, Amerika. Check out the outstanding Sternberg Museum which features the fossil fish within a fish. Roam around the old historic Fort Hays State Historic Site where Custer was stationed. Eat at Al’s Chickenette. Settled by Volga Germans.

Last edited by PrairieHikerII; Feb 22nd, 2022 at 06:58 AM.
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 12:24 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Best hiking near Colorado Springs:

https://www.visitcos.com/things-to-d...biking-trails/
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 12:40 PM

Colorado Springs. Drive up majestic Pikes Peak and take a hike when on top. Wander through the colorful rock formations at Garden of the Gods; go through Cave of the Winds; wander around Manitou Springs eating saltwater taffy exploring art galleries and the historic Cliff House hotel; bike on the Pikes Peak Greenway Trail; eat and shop in Old Colorado City; check out the Broadmoor Hotel, Manitou Cliff Dwellings, May Natural History Museum (the bug museum), and The North Pole (Santa’s Workshop). Hike the scenic Rainbow Gulch Trail through pine forests with stunning views of Pikes Peak near Woodland Park (45 minutes west).
Old Feb 23rd, 2022, 03:08 AM

As one who has driven to Denver often and not to disparage the middle plains I have most often just done the drive and enjoyed my time in Colorado. You don't say how much time you have for this trip--and the return. It is a two day direct drive IME
But in Lawrence Kansas there is Haskell Indian University with a museum that might warrant a stop.
https://www.haskell.edu/cultural-cen...ions-archives/
The Arch in St. Louis I don't know if you can go up now but reservations would certainly be needed.
Denver has a lot of things to do The art museum has an excellent Native American exhibit featuring many tribes. Denver Zoo. Denver Museum of Natural History.
Just outside Denver is Westminster that has a butterfly pavilion.
Just outside of CO Springs is Woodland CO which has a wonderful dinosaur museum with a lab that is doing fossil recovery.
And just north of Denver is Rocky Mountain National Park.
And south a bit are the Great Sand Dunes
And a fun visit in Boulder is the Celestial Seasons Tea factory to tour.
Old Feb 23rd, 2022, 03:27 AM

I have been trying to edit my post but can't
It is Woodland Park CO for the dinosaur exhibit. It is really really good
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Colorado.html

And if you target Kansas City as your first stop don't forget to eat some BBQ
Old Feb 23rd, 2022, 06:24 AM

"But in Lawrence Kansas there is Haskell Indian University with a museum that might warrant a stop.
https://www.haskell.edu/cultural-cen...ions-archives/"

It focuses almost exclusively on the history of the school and is not very interesting. Now the Plains Indian Museum in Cody, Wyoming is world-class and very interesting.
Old Feb 23rd, 2022, 06:49 AM

Good to know.
Old Feb 23rd, 2022, 06:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
If you are taking I-70 then definitely stop here, the best 25 cents you will ever spend:
https://www.kitcarsoncountycarousel.com/

Looks like it opens on Memorial day, as does:
https://www.oldtownburlington.com/
Old Feb 23rd, 2022, 06:52 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Another museum in Kansas not far off I-70 is the Eisenhower museum in Abilene. Among the many things I saw there was a moon rock (only one I've seen). The end of a cattle drive route is also in Abilene.
Old Feb 23rd, 2022, 04:43 PM

Best route will depend where you are coming from in Ohio. I-80 across Iowa, Ill, and Nebraska maybe more interesting. I always felt that it was pretty bland from Kansas City to Denver.
Old Feb 24th, 2022, 02:19 AM

Oh, yeah, "bland " would describe it. Books on tape are a good idea for all of this drive. BUT so worth it when you get to CO!!
AND don't think "you're almost there" when you hit the Colorado line. More bland until Denver or the 225 turnoff to CO Springs.
OR go to Denver, do some stuff, go to RMNP and then head down to CO Springs.