Layover in PHL question

Search

Layover in PHL question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2022, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Layover in PHL question

Hi! We are flying outbound Detroit - Philly- Barcelona. When we arrive in Philly do we need to recheck bags or go through any additional security as we will be getting on an international flight? Or do we simply just have to make it to the gate we depart to Barcelona from?
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 06:45 PM

Presuming this trip is on a single ticket, you will simply check your bags at origin in Detroit all the way through to Barcelona. In terms of security, if you mean TSA screening, you would only need to do that in Philly if your connecting flight requires you to leave the secure area to get to the departure gate. What airline are you flying?
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 01:37 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seamus
Presuming this trip is on a single ticket, you will simply check your bags at origin in Detroit all the way through to Barcelona. In terms of security, if you mean TSA screening, you would only need to do that in Philly if your connecting flight requires you to leave the secure area to get to the departure gate. What airline are you flying?
we are flying American Airlines- I believe it says that the DTW-PHL is operated by PSA airlines as American eagle
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 01:57 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
https://upgradedpoints.com/travel/ai...a-phl-airport/

Hope this helps some.
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 07:06 PM

OK, you'll check in your luggage at Detroit all the way through to BCN. And based on the info posted by joannyc you will be able to get to your international departure at PHL without having to leave the secure area, so no additional TSA screening.
Happy travels!
Old Mar 11th, 2022, 08:12 AM
P_M

Hello Seamus. I can't remember ever coming back into the US and not having to re-clear security, even in Philadelphia on a single ticket. Of course I never had to re-check bags, but I thought we always have to clear TSA if we're coming from another country. Has your experience been different?
Old Mar 11th, 2022, 08:59 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by P_M
Hello Seamus. I can't remember ever coming back into the US and not having to re-clear security, even in Philadelphia on a single ticket. Of course I never had to re-check bags, but I thought we always have to clear TSA if we're coming from another country. Has your experience been different?
Not sure I understand your question -- the OP is asking about traveling to Europe, not entering the US.

As for their return flights -- yes, they will have to clear immigration, collect/re-drop bags, and clear security (except for a few places like Ireland and some Canadian airports where they do all the immigration/customs stuff before boarding a US-bound flight)
Old Mar 11th, 2022, 12:42 PM
P_M

You're right janis, my brain was in dyslexia mode this morning as I read it as inbound. DUH!! Thanks.
Old Mar 11th, 2022, 04:34 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by P_M
You're right janis, my brain was in dyslexia mode this morning as I read it as inbound. DUH!! Thanks.
Me too . . . had to read the OP and your question maybe 3X each to figure out if I had it right way around . . .