Madrid hotel for two nights -close to Prado and easy access to airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2022, 10:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Madrid for two nights., arriving from Granada by train. I want to see the Prado. When we check out we will be going to the airport. If possible, I would like to go by train or metro, but I can take a taxi. I will have a rolling suitcase. I would like to pay no more than 250 euros per night for a hotel room. Where do you recommend I stay?
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 11:03 PM

The Prado and the museum triangle in general isn't that far from the train station. Unless things have changed the bus to the airport leaves from that station.

Sorry can't suggest anything. I usually look at hostals in Madrid and €250 is most of a week -)
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 03:57 AM

I can heartily recommend this one:

NH Paseo del Prado

Plaza Cánovas del Castillo, 4. 28014 Madrid

It is literally across a 2-lane street and parkway from the Prado. Also a short taxi ride from the train station station. It was a flat rate for taxis to the airport. There was a very inexpensive bus to the airport.... about a 10- minute from the hotel. See my TR for more details.

Scroll down to post #96 to read my TR as first posts were about planning and the new global entry system. Seeing the Prado, Reina Sofia, amd Thyssen-Bornemisza museums led me to my hotel choice:

Madrid and London

Since this is all pre-covid info, do double-check. Please share your experiences and have a super time.

Last edited by TDudette; Feb 21st, 2022 at 04:47 AM.
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 06:24 AM

At post #11 in my TR, info about the express bus, fyi:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...m#last-comment

Obviously, from the airport to the hotel, but you get the idea. The hotel arranged airport service.
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 11:14 AM

I've stayed at the NH Collection Paseo del Prado, and I do like the NH Collection properties (this one used to be the Gran Hotel Canarias). And yes, it's just steps from the Prado. Some rooms here can run on the petite side, ime, so I would choose a larger room within your budget.

Recently my husband and I stayed at the quite new Atocha Hotel Tapestry by Hilton, which is closer to Atocha rail station, within an easy walk, so no need for a taxi to the rail station yet still close to the Prado and other museums of the Art Triangle
We did so because we needed to pick up a rental car at Atocha the next morning, and also wanted to try this new boutique hotel. It has a lovely interior courtyard and noted restaurant by chef Joaquín Felipe. It gets a 9.4 rating on Booking.

Our room came equipped with all the bells and whistles--rain shower, upscale bath products, robes & slippers, Nespresso machine, complimentary water, a very comfortable bed and a separate sitting room with table. And stylishly decorated.
It does have steps to reach the lobby, and the door man wasn't at the door upon our arrival as he was attending other guests, so we just called the front desk and they sent him down right away to retrieve our bags. Nice service.
In addition in that immediate area behind the hotel you have one of Madrid's most popular bistrots, Triciclo, on Calle Santa María, and Motteau Pastelería for coffee and pastries on Calle San Pedro, plus lots of other dining options in the Literary Quarter (Barrio de las Letras).
It's a short walk from the Prado.

About traveling to the airport from Atocha rail station:
Taxi fare as TDudette has told you, is a flat fare of €30.
You will not want to take the metro, which requires a line change.
From the station you have 2 options:
the handy Expreso Aeropuerto yellow bus with luggage racks that costs €5 and the ride to T4 (One World alliance departures) takes 40 minutes. Purchase ticket from driver.
https://www.emtmadrid.es/Aeropuerto?lang=en-GB

the Cercanías (commuter, suburban) train, line C-1 or C-10 that goes to T4, costs €2.60 and takes 30 minutes.
I take the Expreso Aeropuerto bus during rush hour when the Cercanías trains can be quite packed.