Cotswolds Questions: various & sundry

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2022, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, a question about bicycle rentals in our self-catering base Chipping Campden.
Apparently, the Volunteer Inn no longer rents bikes--do you know of anywhere else in Chipping Campden that still rents them now?

Delis: do you have a preference between Maylams or Tokes in Chipping Campden? Have you ever shopped at the Broadway deli or the one in Moreton-in-Marsh, and again, does either stand out based on your experience?
Farmers Markets: Of the following 3 weekly markets, do you have a favourite? Stroud, Evesham or Moreton-in-Marsh?

Lastly, has anyone any experience of going on a Tuk Tuk Tour in the Cotswolds? One such company in Moreton-in-Marsh offers set or custom itineraries.
I am done. The end.
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 02:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
zebec, no idea about any of your questions.

Just generally I prefer Burford and Morton to most other villages and I've been passing through or stopping in those villages for most of my adult life

I can't remember if I've mentioned the thousands of miles of public paths in the UK. The maps are on line or you can buy them in book shops/TI sites and really the area is best seen from the paths. Do visit the old churches. Have a blast.
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 03:42 AM

Don't seem to be any bike rentals in Chipping Camden, but here you will find some close by:
https://www.yell.com/s/cycle+hire-chipping+campden.html

The first one on the list seems to only offer guided cycle tours.
Logistics of getting bikes to your rental would be a problem from others if they don't deliver.
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 06:28 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I think the only Fodorites who could accurately compare/contrast those deli's and markets would be someone living there -- like flanneruk. Not occasional visitors.

Re bikes -You may be thinking of some bucolic paradise where cars and bikes cheerfully share scenic country lanes.Except for some very nice off road cycle routes via bridle trails and byways, cycling in the Cotswolds isn't that great. The roads are narrow and winding, and the verges are usually very narrow (or nonexistent) so one is often forced to middle of the road.

But maybe this site will help

https://www.cotswoldsaonb.org.uk/vis.../#-Otherroutes
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. I was acutely aware that the more specific deli-market queries would be lucky to find any updated answers, unless locals weighed in. But it doesn't hurt to try. Input can sometimes come from the most unexpected sources. For example, one of the most important tips I ever got for Indian travel was from an old Lets Go guidebook.

Bilbo, that Tuk Tuk tour company includes Burford on one of its offerings. We've been wondering whether a daytrip there would be worth the added hassle of 2 buses each way there-and-back. One bus is fine, but two? I dunno.
We already have a few maps of certain paths. Our plan is to prioritize the Broadway-Snowshill-Stanton-Stanway route. Inshallah (currently working on our Jordanian photos, so...).

Heti, the second listing in your link is for a Cheltenham-based business. Any day now, I will be emailing my old high school classmate Dierdre, who now lives there with her new husband. Will be posing the same above queries for her.

JJ, I am grateful for your clarification around supposed bucolic bike lanes. Our enthusiasm for cycling only goes so far and no way will we set ourselves up for discomfort.

I am done. the various and soon-dreh

Last edited by zebec; Feb 21st, 2022 at 10:33 AM. Reason: tempted by travel while typing
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Bonus for Heti:
Your link's various companies include one whose cycling itinerary skirts the southerly Cotswolds Water Park. That is a man-made attraction which we first saw on the BBC travel show about Brit rivers, in the episode by Jeremy Paxson featuring the Thames. The places that he covered in that episode (e.g. Pangbourne, original waterside home of Jimmy Page) were very attractive.

I am done. the untrimmed hedge