Search

Milan - airport/hotel question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2022, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Milan - airport/hotel question

We have a flight from Milan to the states that leaves at 10:00am
The day before our flight, we plan to get to Milan from Lake Como area and spend the night in Milan to ensure we get to the airport on time.
We wanted to check out the Duomo and eat dinner in Milan before heading to our hotel near the airport. I realized that the hotel is almost 40 minutes from the center of Milan. Is it better to get a hotel in the center of Milan.
What is the best way to get from the center of Milan to the airport area? Train? Taxi?
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 10:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pre-pandemic, I had a flight out of MXP at 9:30am--was connecting in Frankfurt and then on to the U.S. In Milan, I stayed at a hotel by La Scala, about a 15 minute walk to Cadorna station. So the morning of my departure, I walked to that station and trained to MXP (I had checked the train schedule in advance, obviously). Simple and quick.

I don't know if this is best for you, as I had a few days in Milan prior to leaving. But here's info on the Malpensa Express:
https://www.malpensaexpress.it/en/

ETA: Are you driving? If so, where you're returning your rental car might factor into your decision.

Last edited by Leely2; Feb 21st, 2022 at 10:45 AM.
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 11:01 AM

Also pre-covid, but there was a bus service from the train station that ran every 20 minutes. My notes say we left at 8 a.m. and were the airport just before 9. I can't help with hotels but I do think we walked from the station to the Duomo.
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 02:10 PM
mjs

What day is your flight and how much luggage do you have? If you are driving I would drop the car off at MXP and stay in the airport Sheraton which is in the terminal. Take the train into the city and return via train slightly less than an hour each way. I would also do this if you have a lot of luggage.
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 02:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How are you travelling from the mid-lake area to Milan? Where did you decide to stay?

The trains from Varenna-Esino (and Bellano) go to Milano Centrale. If you ferry to the town of Como, the trains from the Como Lago station (very near the ferry dock) go to Milano Cadorna. The trains from Centrale to Malpensa take about 15 minutes longer than the trains from Cadorna to Malpensa. Frequency of service is the same. Two trains an hour and VERY reliable. (Buses can be impacted by traffic delays, road accidents, etc.) There is a baggage storage office at the Centrale station. There is no baggage storage office IN the Cadorna station, but there are private storage companies in the area of the station. Or at least there WERE before Covid.

My choice would be to stay in Milan and not have to deal with storing the luggage.

https://www.trenitalia.com/en.html [Use Italian spellings in the search... Varenna-Esino, Como Lago, Milano (Tutte le stazione), Malpensa Aeroporto...]
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Leely2
Pre-pandemic, I had a flight out of MXP at 9:30am--was connecting in Frankfurt and then on to the U.S. In Milan, I stayed at a hotel by La Scala, about a 15 minute walk to Cadorna station. So the morning of my departure, I walked to that station and trained to MXP (I had checked the train schedule in advance, obviously). Simple and quick.

I don't know if this is best for you, as I had a few days in Milan prior to leaving. But here's info on the Malpensa Express:

ETA: Are you driving? If so, where you're returning your rental car might factor into your decision.

I am not driving. We will be taking a train from Varenna (Lake Como) to Milan. Hopefully there's a place where we can store our luggage so we can go sightseeing/out for dinner towards the afternoon/evening time. Otherwise our option is to check into our hotel next to the airport - leave everything there- then head into the city. This is where I am stuck. We prefer to stay near the airport (which has free airport shuttles) but then takes 40 minutes to get to the Duomo/center etc.
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jean
How are you travelling from the mid-lake area to Milan? Where did you decide to stay?

The trains from Varenna-Esino (and Bellano) go to Milano Centrale. If you ferry to the town of Como, the trains from the Como Lago station (very near the ferry dock) go to Milano Cadorna. The trains from Centrale to Malpensa take about 15 minutes longer than the trains from Cadorna to Malpensa. Frequency of service is the same. Two trains an hour and VERY reliable. (Buses can be impacted by traffic delays, road accidents, etc.) There is a baggage storage office at the Centrale station. There is no baggage storage office IN the Cadorna station, but there are private storage companies in the area of the station. Or at least there WERE before Covid.

My choice would be to stay in Milan and not have to deal with storing the luggage.

https://www.trenitalia.com/en.html [Use Italian spellings in the search... Varenna-Esino, Como Lago, Milano (Tutte le stazione), Malpensa Aeroporto...]
If I stayed in Milan, how long does it take to get from Milano Centrale to the airport the next day? Our flight is at 10:00am
We are planning to stay in Varenna (although I really want to stay in Bellano but not sure the ease of access from Bellano to other places in Lake Como)
Haven't booked my stay yet in Varenna/Bellano or Milan
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mjs
What day is your flight and how much luggage do you have? If you are driving I would drop the car off at MXP and stay in the airport Sheraton which is in the terminal. Take the train into the city and return via train slightly less than an hour each way. I would also do this if you have a lot of luggage.
We will not have a car. We are taking a train from Varenna into Milan
We will have 2 large suitcases and 3 backpacks. We also plan to take a duffel bag for souvenirs etc so might add that in if it gets filled!
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 05:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by viranpooja
If I stayed in Milan, how long does it take to get from Milano Centrale to the airport the next day? Our flight is at 10:00am
It is 51 minutes from Milano Centrale to MXP. And just 37 minutes from Milano Cadorna.

The schedules are here:

If it were me, I'd stay in Milan, not at the airport. The last time I took the Malpensa Express, I saw people with all kinds of gigantor luggage, so it's definitely possible.
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 06:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
As mentioned in my post #5, there is luggage storage in the Milano Centrale train station.

We've stayed at a hotel adjacent to Malpensa on a couple of trips, but our flights were earlier than 10:00 a.m. With what you hope to do, I'd rather stay in Milan.