50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Surprise / Sedona / GC trip help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2022, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Surprise / Sedona / GC trip help

Hi, my husband and I are contemplating taking our first trip in over two years to Arizona in mid-April. Neither of us have ever really been (I've taken a day trip to the GC from Vegas once quite a few years ago - hardly counts!)

Originally, I was looking at staying 5 nights in Sedona with a day trip to the Grand Canyon. The gorgeous views, cultural scene, and tons of local hikes interest me greatly. However, we have family friends with a place in Surprise where we could stay for free. The location doesn't immediately thrill me, but the appeal of a free place to stay (with a pool) is very tempting. My husband and I live in a cold climate and are new parents to an infant, so pretty much any trip at this point, even if it's slower paced, would be a godsend! And, I think we'd still try for a day trip to the Grand Canyon and potentially a second day trip to Sedona if we went this route. I've also considered 2-3 nights in Sedona with a day trip to the Grand Canyon, followed by 2-3 nights in Surprise to relax.

I guess I'm looking for advice on what to do and where to eat if we end up staying in Surprise. Or, I'm looking to be convinced that we will hate Surprise and should just skip it and splurge on a week in Sedona, ha! We're in our early 30s and interested in hiking (easy-moderate), breweries, distilleries, great local food, and arts/cultural attractions. Thanks!
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 01:39 PM

Sedona has much more to see/do than Surprise. Oak Creek Canyon is spectacular and the town bills itself as the “Day Hike Capital of America” and the region has more than 100 trails. Lots of outdoor activities including hiking, mt. biking and horseback riding. Get rejuvenated at a spa. It is a so-called New Age center because of the purported energy vortexes and lots of rich people have settled here making lodging rather expensive. There are many shops selling Western and American Indian artwork and jewelry.
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 02:59 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd add another option . . . Don't do the GC as a day trip -- stay at least one night there, Day trippers are there with the crowds of all the other day trippers and miss both sunrise and sunset. Much better to stay overnight.
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 03:45 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I live in AZ part of the year. I understand the appeal of a free place to stay but the LAST place I would ever stay in Arizona is Surprise! We did stay a few times for a national USTA tournament. All horrible chain restaurants, sterile and will never, ever go back there. Remove that option from your choices!!
I recommend an overnight or two at the Grand Canyon or nearby. Spend the rest of the time in stunning Sedona.

Last edited by HappyTrvlr; Feb 20th, 2022 at 03:52 PM.
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 02:37 PM

It's 3.5 hours from Surprise to the Grand Canyon. So either an overnight or pay to stay closer. You might also want to visit Flagstaff, which has the Riordan Mansion State Historic Park:

https://flic.kr/p/vhgzMX
and the Museum of Northern Arizona:

https://flic.kr/p/vhBUGX
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 02:20 AM

Look for a flight that gets into Phoenix in the early afternoon and head up to Grand Canyon for the first night. If they say the lodging is filled, call back both numbers as people do make reservations way ahead then cancel when time gets close.

see sunset and sunrise in GC do a bit of hiking or use the park shuttle then head down to Sedona for a couple of nights.

Spend the rest of the time with the folks in Surprise, you will be closer to the airport for the flight home.
Old Feb 25th, 2022, 08:40 AM

Definitely agree with the others who have said to stay a night at the Grand Canyon. I'd base how long you stay in Surprise on how much time you want to spend with family. There really isn't a whole lot going on there though enjoying the weather and the pool could be very enjoyable for you. Have fun!
Old Mar 6th, 2022, 05:02 PM

Sounds like a good plan but accommodations neat GC seem difficult to find.
Old Mar 6th, 2022, 05:19 PM

Around Surprise shouldn't there be some hiking trails in the Sonoran Desert parks?