Search

Renting car outside London - Croyden?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2022, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Renting car outside London - Croyden?

Hi everyone,

I searched the forums and the last discussion of this topic was about 12 years old, so wanted to ask again because I still had some questions. My family of four is traveling to London in May. We're staying in Kensington, then renting a car and driving to Tenterden. We've been told it would be smart to take a train from Victoria Station to Croyden and rent a car there. Looking at the map, it seems like the rental car spot is pretty far from the East Croyden station. Anyone have thoughts on this?
Old Feb 16th, 2022, 11:13 AM

Why was Croyden suggested?

Have you thought about Gatwick instead? There is a regular train service from Victoria.
Old Feb 16th, 2022, 11:14 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
More information please. Do you plan to drive around the area or just go to Tenterden? I ask because you may be able to get all the way to your destination by train & skip the car. It depends on the bigger picture.

Old Feb 16th, 2022, 11:18 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I wouldn't drive from Croyden -- I'd take the train to Gatwick and collect a car there. Not only is every rental agency represented, there are no opening hours to worry about.

Conversely -- you could also take trains to Seven Oaks or Maidstone and be much closer to Tenterden
Old Feb 16th, 2022, 11:19 AM

we were all posting at the same time.
Old Feb 16th, 2022, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Points to all of you for fastest forum response I've ever encountered. Wasleys, I'm guessing Tenterden was suggested because, looking at a map, it then gives me a fairly easy diagonal line down to Tenterden. Got the suggestion from a local, but that doesn't mean it's a good one. To answer the other question, we're going to Tenterden to visit my wife's grandmother. She requested that we get a car so we can drive around and check out the area with her. We'll be there for three days and then drive to Dover, drop off the car at the ferry station, and go across to Calais. Then one night in Amiens, then drive to Paris and drop off car there.

I could use a suggestion on where to drop the car off in Paris. We're staying in Marais.
Old Feb 16th, 2022, 11:52 AM

"We'll be there for three days and then drive to Dover, drop off the car at the ferry station, and go across to Calais. Then one night in Amiens, then drive to Paris and drop off car there. "

Do you mean take the car on the ferr and then drop it in Paris?? You definitely do NOT want to drop a UK car off in France.

Drop the RHD car at Ashford, take the Eurostar to Lille and rent a left hand drive car there.
Old Feb 16th, 2022, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Sorry for the confusion. We're driving the rental car to the Dover ferry terminal and dropping it off there. When we get across the channel, we pick up a new rental car. Yeah, not going to drive double-wrong side.

To clarify, are you saying it's better for me to take the Eurostar through the Chunnel? From everything i've been reading, COVID restrictions have made it so you can only board that train in London. No stops along the way.
Old Feb 16th, 2022, 12:03 PM

Oh -- you're right -- at least temporarily they don't stop ar Ebbsfleet or Ashford. Sorry.
Old Feb 16th, 2022, 12:05 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, then you do want a car if grandmother says so. We’re always right. But there are some towns closer to Tenterden where you can conveniently take the train & get a car. I’d just return the car & use trains all the way to Paris. Much less complicated, at least in my experience. Or ferry + trains.

Last edited by MmePerdu; Feb 16th, 2022 at 12:08 PM.
Old Feb 16th, 2022, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

So it seems like Gatwick is better than Croyden and will have more options. Thank you!
Old Feb 16th, 2022, 01:32 PM

Its Croydon, not Croyden. And yes Gatwick is better to pick up a car.
Old Feb 16th, 2022, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Great, thank you for the correction.